NASL Expansion News, Rumors and Wishful Thinking Thread

Discussion in 'NASL Expansion' started by oneeyedfool, Mar 14, 2015.

1. socceralpha

socceralpha New Member

Jul 24, 2012
    According to the rumors discussed in this thread three expansion bids were on the agenda of the BOG meeting. The meeting is already over, right? And unless I missed it (which is quite possible) there haven't been any announcements regarding an approved expansion bid. Does this mean that all three bids where rejected or that the decision has been postponed to a later date? Or is it possible that they have approved one/several bid(s) and that they want to make the announcement at some later point (for whatever reason)? Does anyone know how they handled the announcements of decisions at BOG meetings in the past?

2. The One X

The One X Member+

Sep 9, 2014
    Indiana
    Club:
    Indy Eleven
    It depends on what the goals of the meeting were. It could be they were simply hearing the bids, discuss them, but not make any final decisions yet. Even so no matter what the goal was I doubt we would hear anything official yet. That is something I think they would want to plan a press conference to announce the teams in their individual cities. I have little doubt that Miami and Puerto Rico both were accepted at least a week, if not more, before their official announcements. So no I don't think the silence is meaningful at this point.

3. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I checked the Twitter account of the guy who was revealing things but he said that NASL caught on that he was leaking things and shut him down.

4. Kolyn

Kolyn Member

May 15, 2012
    Waterford, Ireland
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    As far as I remember, the only time they've announced expansion at the meeting was Jax and OKC which was on the same day. Miami and PR came a few weeks after.

The One X and Prosoccercdn repped this.
  5. mng146

mng146 Member

Jul 19, 2011
    Rochester, NY
    Well, sort of. They stopped the meeting "to internally address information leak", i.e. the naughty person at the meeting who was feeding him the info :sneaky:. Once they discovered he was posting it on twitter, "attendees in the meeting were asked to all turn off their phones". Tsk tsk!

6. Zoidberg

Zoidberg Member+

Jun 23, 2006
    Wouldn't it be great if some of the NASL prospects wanted in, but didn't want to pay the expansion fee?

FoxBoro 143 and babykhris repped this.
  7. FootySkeptic

FootySkeptic Member

Sep 24, 2015
    Club:
    Cardiff City FC
    I don't buy it.

Most leagues hold press conferences to announce possible bids to put public pressure on the bids and real groups paying the fees just for a proposal.

NASL seems to pay journalists to "leak" rumours just to feign interest and keep the skis pointed down the hill.

We can all throw change into the wishing well, but its not the mall that advertises how many wishes came true in their fountains.

Cheaper than run of river and wind; journalists blow mills for the pennies in wells...

8. Zoidberg

Zoidberg Member+

Jun 23, 2006
    I see you juts joined....that is just understood around here by all....except maybe one poster.

Has been NASL's MO ever since NYC joined.

9. The One X

The One X Member+

Sep 9, 2014
    Indiana
    Club:
    Indy Eleven
    Oh yes, two completely different organizations cannot possibly run their businesses in different ways. That is why prior to announcing Miami FC they....oh wait they didn't do that prior to announcing Miami. All we had were leaked rumors. Damn, don't you hate when reality doesn't mesh with perception.

FootySkeptic repped this.
  10. Zoidberg

Zoidberg Member+

Jun 23, 2006
    His general point is right however.

NASL has been notoriously untrustorthy, and cheap headline seeking for quite some time now.

Makes one doubt anything they do and say at this point....until it actually happens.

MLSinSTL repped this.
  11. annapolis

annapolis Member

Jul 3, 2001
    It could be as much different situations as different organizations. With MLS in the same market they may not have wanted to tip their hand.

Similar logic might hold in Atlanta.

12. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    NASL also has had set backs of announced expansion teams not ever making it out of the gate, maybe some of the ownership groups does not want that to happen.

Just like there are splits in regards to Atlanta (keep it alive or not) there may be splits among other things (like suing USSF), maybe some owners did want the media attention and leaked the info, while other owners wanted to keep it secret in case none of the bids is good enough.

Zoidberg, Sporting Real and The One X repped this.
  13. Sporting Real

Sporting Real Member+

Jun 29, 2011
    Kansas City
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Some examples
    Weak bids getting announced early: OKC, Northern Virginia
    Bids getting leaked early then disappearing: Hartford, Hamilton

Yeah, I could see why NASL would want to keep quiet.

Still, I'm mostly curious to see what the deal with Duggan and Detroit is. Maybe his bro the mayor won't push for a stadium without the teaming playing in a higher league? All I know is if USL won't let the guy in, there's got to be something strange going on that the NASL should probably avoid

14. Zoidberg

Zoidberg Member+

Jun 23, 2006
    It's real clear IMO that there are splits in NASL, and fairly large ones at that.

At this point however there isn't much reason to believe anything they say until it gets done.

Just a super hyped up, over the top version of MLS PR circa 2000-2006.

Get it done or "I don't believe a thing you say anymore."

15. The One X

The One X Member+

Sep 9, 2014
    Indiana
    Club:
    Indy Eleven
    Hartford is still moving along.

16. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Is it? I've read some pretty conflicting reports.

17. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well they presented a pretty ambitious stadium plan, if approved then they will get a soccer team and then go bankrupt if the details of the deal are correct.

Zoidberg, panicfc and The One X repped this.
  18. Balerion

Balerion Member+

Aug 5, 2006
    Roslindale, MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  19. MLSinSTL

MLSinSTL Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Mar 20, 2009
    Ohio - near a city
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The One X, oneeyedfool and Prosoccercdn repped this.
  20. Brian in Boston

Brian in Boston Member+

Jun 17, 2004
    MA & CA, USA
    #695 Brian in Boston, Oct 7, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 7, 2015
    I don't know why it took public officials in Hartford and the staff of the Hartford Courant so long to uncover Duckett's troubling legal/financial dealings. It was readily available to anyone interested in doing a simple search of public records. I called it 2-1/2 months ago.

To wit...

panicfc and brentgoulet repped this.
  21. Knave

Knave Member+

May 25, 1999
    The NASL (and Traffic) sure seem to attract some shady characters.

22. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I completely agree

Signed,
    California Victory, Virginia Beach Mariners and a bunch of guys from Puerto Rico.

23. Howard the Drake

Feb 27, 2010
    We*.

24. Sporting Real

Sporting Real Member+

Jun 29, 2011
    Kansas City
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    brentgoulet and Blando13 repped this.
  25. Zoidberg

Zoidberg Member+

Jun 23, 2006
    Yeah, it may be "thickening", but it is still a "loose" sauce, not a tight one.