NASL Expansion News, Rumors and Wishful Thinking Thread

Discussion in 'NASL Expansion' started by oneeyedfool, Mar 14, 2015.

1. Zoidberg

Zoidberg Member+

Jun 23, 2006
    Pure poppycock.

2. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You're an idiot.

I mean, we've all known for years that you're an idiot. But, seriously, you're a TOTAL idiot.

MUTINYFAN repped this.
  3. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's the first I've heard of them actually writing off Hartford, but I do know this:
    1 - Their indoor team is a mess. They've supposedly sold very few season tickets and they're going to have a bunch of really bad arena dates this winter. They don't appear to have a very robust organization.
    2 - They did go several months without any contact with Peterson, which would be troubling to me if I were Peterson. And which apparently was, a bit.
    3 - The last story in the Courant about NASL efforts was apparently from April. The demolition/renovation/rebuild of Dillon Stadium has apparently yet to begin.

As for OKC, yes, it is odd that we haven't heard anything more about that Big Story that Rayo Vallecano was buying them.

And, as someone alluded to, "meeting with potential ownership groups" is so vague as to be nearly meaningless.

Prosoccercdn repped this.
  4. mng146

mng146 Member

Jul 19, 2011
    Rochester, NY
    Those other cities that are "also are on the radar" sure is convincing too :rolleyes:. May as well just throw darts at a U.S. map (hey, that's a good city, let's target that one!).

With a side order of Balderdash.

After seeing those posts and Kenn going off on MUTINYFAN (with the capital letters), I had a sudden urge to go into Monty Python taunting french guard mode. I'm doing my best to resist it :D.

markmcf8 repped this.
  5. Zoidberg

Zoidberg Member+

Jun 23, 2006
    Ni....I mean no. Don't start.

markmcf8 repped this.
  6. MUTINYFAN

MUTINYFAN Member

Apr 18, 1999
    Orlando
    I was laughing too. I even repped him

7. FootySkeptic

FootySkeptic Member

Sep 24, 2015
    Club:
    Cardiff City FC
    Hello everyone this is my first post on BS,

I'd like to make it on the topic most representative of BS possible.

The merits of any professional sport necessitate a strong minor league. For development of talent and market feasibility any professional league needs a strong pool to draw from. In the forums on BS much has been discussed about the suitability of various markets in NA and a (possible) strategy to expand such a league; all virtuous yet partial to unjustified reasons...

Pre-fanatic infatuation at its best. I love it: I joined this forum solely for this BS... For that I pre-emptivly {sic} apologise to all Americans who take this BS far too seriously.

Anything I utter should be taken with a seriousness equal to or greater than that of Mr. Peterson himself.

Thankyou all and forgive my Canadianess.... Sowry

The One X repped this.
  8. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So Detriot, San Francisco and OKC all present to NASL board of governors for expansion.

oneeyedfool and Sporting Real repped this.
  9. markmcf8

markmcf8 Member+

Oct 18, 1999
    Vancouver, WA, USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Where did you see this? I think it would be great news, I'm just not finding it on the NASL site, nor in a news search for NASL Expansion.

10. oneeyedfool

oneeyedfool Member+

Nov 17, 2012
    Club:
    New York Cosmos
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

11. Sporting Real

Sporting Real Member+

Jun 29, 2011
    Kansas City
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Again with OKC? Really? Rayo would be much better off moving the franchise if this is something they are actually serious about

The One X repped this.
  12. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    OKC is insane, the others especially Detroit have potential. No word yet about all the Southern California NASL expansion teams we've heard about.

The One X repped this.
  13. oneeyedfool

oneeyedfool Member+

Nov 17, 2012
    Club:
    New York Cosmos
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They had a BOG meeting in May and now one in Sept. They could have another after the new year with plenty of time for teams to announce for Spring 2017. San Francisco could be the first west coast team to pave the way.

Prosoccercdn and The One X repped this.
  14. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  15. oneeyedfool

oneeyedfool Member+

Nov 17, 2012
    Club:
    New York Cosmos
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And if you want to save a franchise in need, Atlanta and Carolina are better choices.

16. The One X

The One X Member+

Sep 9, 2014
    Indiana
    Club:
    Indy Eleven
    Well Carolina is. Atlanta probably not.

17. davidrpaige

davidrpaige Member

May 17, 2008
    Washington, DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    That is a disappointment. Detroit City FC is the only reason we are talking about a team in Detroit. It certainly is not because of the growth potential of Detroit.

Sporting Real repped this.
  18. Sporting Real

Sporting Real Member+

Jun 29, 2011
    Kansas City
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Agreed. And that is why I think any team not named Detroit City will fail. Northern Guard and Motor City Supporters create the atmosphere that has made DCFC so popular, and unless another team pulls them away, which I don't they can, it's going to fall flat. Detroit's best supporters are for DCFC, and supporters are what makes a team tick.

I'd say hopefully the NASL is smart enough to see that and turns down this bid to try and get DCFC, but I doubt it. And it sounds like Detroit City may have decided to move on to looking at the USL anyway, based on what I've read in articles on their stadium in Hamtrack or however you spell it

anivha repped this.
  19. mng146

mng146 Member

Jul 19, 2011
    Rochester, NY
    Another source quoting a source, and this is really strange if it's true:

20. Sporting Real

Sporting Real Member+

Jun 29, 2011
    Kansas City
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I wonder if USL has done something to tick him off? Maybe they've tried to get him to work with Detroit City, or are openly discussing DCFC coming to the USL? They've had to have done something, or Duggan got hooked up with some Traffic people while he was in Brazil...

brentgoulet repped this.
  21. brentgoulet

brentgoulet Member+

Oct 12, 2005
    PuertoPlata, DomRep
    Only 1,5 year ago Duggan was heading for USL PRO

PONTIAC, MI. (March 31st, 2014) - Michigan Bucks owner Dan Duggan confirmed today that he has reached a preliminary agreement with USL PRO to bring a professional outdoor soccer team to the Detroit market starting in the 2015 season

http://www.buckssoccer.com/home/798788.html

22. Chowda

Chowda Member

Sep 13, 2004
    Rhode Island
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Better reasons: Detroit MSA has over 4 million people, they have teams in all major US sports, and they lack a pro soccer team.

Also, much better chance at at stadium within city limits with Bucks' owner's brother being mayor.

23. Sporting Real

Sporting Real Member+

Jun 29, 2011
    Kansas City
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The point @davidrpaige was making is that if DCFC wouldn't have come on to the scene, there would be no reason to even suspect that there was enough interest in soccer in Detroit to justify any type of a pro team there. Duggan's Bucks play in Pontiac, if I remember correctly, on an indoor field in front of an average of eight hundred fans this year. DCFC averaged over 2,000 and had to turn fans away. It's pretty obvious which of these two teams has done the most to show that Detroit can support a pro soccer team.

24. Chowda

Chowda Member

Sep 13, 2004
    Rhode Island
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    What were the Indianapolis and Jacksonville equivalents to DCFC that brought about NASL expansion to those cities?

They are a nice story, but do major markets devoid of pro soccer need to prove they have a soccer audience these days?

25. The One X

The One X Member+

Sep 9, 2014
    Indiana
    Club:
    Indy Eleven
    Prior to the Indy Eleven we had the Blast who folded in like 2004. Apparently there was an NPSL team that lasted for a single season in 2007. After that as far as I can find there was nothing.