San Diego 1904 FC expansion thread

Discussion in 'NASL Expansion' started by XaviusX, Jun 30, 2012.

1. Sporting Real

Sporting Real Member+

Jun 29, 2011
    Kansas City
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  2. athletics68

athletics68 Member+

Dec 12, 2006
    San Diego & San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah they've definitely upped the timetable. They were talking about 2 years at USD previously. Now they're talking possibly as little as the Spring season of 2018 with the new stadium ready for the fall it sounds like from that video. Considering it will only take 90 days to build the stadium it's definitely doable if they close on the land in the next month or two as they've said they plan to.

And Watkins is saying all the right things that's for sure about wanting to have a youth program, lower division club as a feeder and a women's side in the next 2 years. Ambition is not something they're lacking, nor seemingly a plan. I'm cautiously optimistic.

Sporting Real repped this.
  3. Sporting Real

Sporting Real Member+

Jun 29, 2011
    Kansas City
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Watkins especially is impressing me. If I recall, isn't he the guy who basically built US Rugby?

4. athletics68

athletics68 Member+

Dec 12, 2006
    San Diego & San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #804 athletics68, Aug 15, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 15, 2017
    Yeah I mean if they've got Populous involved in building their little 10,000-12,000 seat stadium too, that's pretty damn cool. Populous are the preeminent stadium builders in the US with many venues including Petco Park and UCSD's new ballpark under their belts among dozens of others.

And yes I think you're right he's one of the architects of US Rugby. He's in their HOF.

5. athletics68

athletics68 Member+

Dec 12, 2006
    San Diego & San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #805 athletics68, Aug 15, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 15, 2017
    For those that might has missed the proposed site plan, general stadium design idea, and previous stadium built by Populous that is a good idea of what they'd base the San Diego stadium on (in this case AMI Stadium in New Zealand), the images are below.

[​IMG]
    Site Design

[​IMG]
    General Stadium Idea

[​IMG]
    AMI Stadium which Populous has designed previously in the same modular style and a similar size.

Also looking at the proposed site design, it would appear Oceanside is their preferred choice if not ultimate destination. As the proposal lines up perfectly with the Oceanside site at the Oceanside Soccer Complex.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/O...ecb3f398f9f87!8m2!3d33.1958696!4d-117.3794834

Sporting Real repped this.
  6. Sporting Real

Sporting Real Member+

Jun 29, 2011
    Kansas City
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I love seeing what Populous does. They're actually in Kansas City, so every time I go to the library or to get Chipotle, I see their office

7. athletics68

athletics68 Member+

Dec 12, 2006
    San Diego & San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah I mean heck I've liked their work from back when they were HOK Sport. They couldn't have picked a better designer IMO. I've yet to meet an HOK/Populous design that wasn't top notch. Will be very interested to see what they can do with a modular stadium that can be built in only 3 months. Something tells me it'll be far better than the last modular stadium a team I followed lived in at Buck Shaw in San Jose.

8. SteveUSSF_ref8

SteveUSSF_ref8 Member+

United States
    Oct 25, 2010
    Sun City, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm all excited and look forward to seeing more info come out on the club. From what I have heard the real flow of information will come at the end of August or early September. Has anyone heard about any supporter groups forming?

oneeyedfool repped this.
  9. athletics68

athletics68 Member+

Dec 12, 2006
    San Diego & San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nothing as yet. Probably need to wait to see what the name/colors/etc... are before a supporters group can really get off the ground. And not sure what effect SoccerCity will have on one forming.

But in the vein of fun fan related things. There are a few decent places for SGs and just regular fans to meet up around the presumed site of the SD NASL stadium in Oceanside that Watkins kind of leaked. Looks like Midnight Jack Brewing, Felix's BBQ, and Junkyard Sports Bar & Grill are all within less than a 1 mi/20 min walk to the new stadium site (good for a march to the stadium?). Plus there's the parking lot which I'd hope will allow tailgating. And of course near their temp site at USD we've got Ballast Point's original location at the Home Brew Mart which has been significantly expanded in recent years.

10. SteveUSSF_ref8

SteveUSSF_ref8 Member+

United States
    Oct 25, 2010
    Sun City, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I have hoping they name the club the "San Diego Nomads" with using the their colors of Red, White and Blue. It would be nice to see them build upon the legacy of the Nomads' Academy system.

11. athletics68

athletics68 Member+

Dec 12, 2006
    San Diego & San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Are these NASL guys associated with the Nomads at all?

12. SteveUSSF_ref8

SteveUSSF_ref8 Member+

United States
    Oct 25, 2010
    Sun City, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No... Not at All. But they should be...

13. athletics68

athletics68 Member+

Dec 12, 2006
    San Diego & San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Nomads aren't based in Oceanside are they? If not then it wouldn't make much sense seeing as the NASL guys are building up their academy and such around their stadium in Oceanside.

14. SteveUSSF_ref8

SteveUSSF_ref8 Member+

United States
    Oct 25, 2010
    Sun City, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Nomads are based in La Jolla, which is close enough.

15. NewYorkisgreen

NewYorkisgreen Red Card

Cosmos
    England
    May 31, 2017
    do Nomads still exist??

16. SteveUSSF_ref8

SteveUSSF_ref8 Member+

United States
    Oct 25, 2010
    Sun City, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  17. mike4066

mike4066 Member+

Jun 30, 2007
    Chula Vista, CA
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nomads La Jolla to Oceanside is still a 30 minute drive with no traffic. Plus Nomads have a partnership with Xolos and while I don't think it would preclude them from having an additional NASL partnership I doubt the NASL team wants to pay fees to get the rights to the name.

18. SteveUSSF_ref8

SteveUSSF_ref8 Member+

United States
    Oct 25, 2010
    Sun City, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Currently there is no legal trademark to the Nomads name. So with that in mind why would they need to pay for rights to the name.

What do you mean partnership with Xolos. No such partnership exists..

19. athletics68

athletics68 Member+

Dec 12, 2006
    San Diego & San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well for one you don't partner with someone and then steal their name, trademarked or not. Not really conducive to a good working relationship. Second, Nomads could show prior use back to 1976, so I suspect if it ever came down to it they'd win any challenge to the NASL team using it legally.

And again, unless Nomads are willing to relocate 30 miles north I doubt it would work. Wouldn't partnering with the Surf make more sense, assuming they're not going to start from the ground up.

20. mike4066

mike4066 Member+

Jun 30, 2007
    Chula Vista, CA
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Didn't realize that Nomads didn't have a TM on that. Weird actually.

As for the partnership, I read about it years ago (in 2013 I think) but can't seem to find a link now.

21. NewYorkisgreen

NewYorkisgreen Red Card

Cosmos
    England
    May 31, 2017
  22. athletics68

athletics68 Member+

Dec 12, 2006
    San Diego & San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Looks like we're getting some competition for the NASL team for your sporting dollar. A new arena is being built in the east village, the announcement of it tomorrow. And they're bringing an NLL team to start as well as pursuing NBA and possibly NHL.

mike4066 repped this.
  23. SteveUSSF_ref8

SteveUSSF_ref8 Member+

United States
    Oct 25, 2010
    Sun City, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If you knew anything about trademark law, you would feel pretty stupid about your comment that they can challenge the trademark "by showing first use". By law, the trademark goes to who filed for the trademark claim first, not who used the trademark first. The key point here is the filing date. Even since they have used the trademark "Nomads" since 1976, they would have no rights to it, since they never trademarked it.

24. athletics68

athletics68 Member+

Dec 12, 2006
    San Diego & San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Um... I do know a few things about Trademark law. In the US, first to use in commerce has priority, not first to register like most of the world. Since the Nomads can show such use in commerce since 1976...

But it's not the key point I made. You don't attempt to steal someone's trade name and then ask to partner with them

mike4066 repped this.
  25. mike4066

mike4066 Member+

Jun 30, 2007
    Chula Vista, CA
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is interesting...I wonder what they are going to do with the Sports Arena.