NASL/D2 News 2010 Part 5

Discussion in 'NASL' started by atlanticTFCfan, Jan 29, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. drSoFlaFan

drSoFlaFan DEFEND THE FORT!

Feb 25, 2008
    Plantation, FL
    Club:
    Ft Lauderdale Strikers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And if Cleveland and Baltimore have taught us anything, teams moving up from D3 to D2 tend to have problems. Teams in USL Pro are there for a reason. They don't want to be in and/or do not have the means to be in D2.

2. speedcake

speedcake Member

Dec 2, 1999
    Tampa
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Besides the fact that Pro/Rel isn't likely to ever be a reality in this country for a zillion reasons, the USL and NASL folks seem to barely be able to stand being in same room with each other at the moment. Sincerely doubt there will be much cooperation in any facet of the game between the two organizations, despite the upbeat nature of the NASL press release.

3. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I will take that as a yes, it is early for that. ;)

4. railhawksfan

railhawksfan Member

Jan 17, 2008
    Cary, NC
    Club:
    Carolina Railhawks
    I believe NASL can grow with the soccer culture in this country. USL is not owned by the actual team operators. I do not see how anyone would want to spend money year after year in a business that THEY actually do not own.

5. ButlerBob

ButlerBob Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 13, 2001
    Evanston, IL
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, can't imagine anyone ever wanting to do something like that. Like say a McDonalds or Subway franchise. ;) Oh wait, people do that all the time with franchises.

6. City Dave

City Dave Member

Jan 26, 2007
    Cleveland, OH
    Club:
    Cleveland C. S.
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No offense, but there is quite a bit of difference between McDonald's or Subway and the USL. For one, what's the average failure rate of one of those fast food places compared to that of a USL team?

7. ButlerBob

ButlerBob Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 13, 2001
    Evanston, IL
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The point that I was trying to make was that if you buy a McDonalds franchise you don't own McDonalds. I was responding to the statement that he couldn't understand how someone would buy a business and not own it. By his rational he wouldn't want to own a McDonalds franchise. That's how most franchise system is set up.

I'm not anti NASL and I hope they do well and grow. I think both the NASL and USL have a place in the US soccer landscape.

8. City Dave

City Dave Member

Jan 26, 2007
    Cleveland, OH
    Club:
    Cleveland C. S.
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, I know, but I think you misinterpreted what he said. He didn't say that "he couldn't understand how someone would buy a business and not own it."

He said, "I do not see how anyone would want to spend money year after year in a business that THEY actually do not own."

He is specifically referring to losing money year after year. These teams don't turn profits in their first few years, if ever. That's a completely different situation than the franchises you mention or any other franchise for that matter.

I didn't read anything in his comment that said he was against the franchise system as a whole. Just in this particular situation where most owners are just pissing money away.

9. ButlerBob

ButlerBob Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 13, 2001
    Evanston, IL
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  10. jasontoon

jasontoon Member

Jan 9, 2002
    Seattle, WA
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  11. drSoFlaFan

drSoFlaFan DEFEND THE FORT!

Feb 25, 2008
    Plantation, FL
    Club:
    Ft Lauderdale Strikers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  12. time4wine

time4wine Member

Mar 13, 2009
    St. Louis
    Club:
    St. Louis Lions
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  13. speedcake

speedcake Member

Dec 2, 1999
    Tampa
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And again the rush to get a story up first leads to much awkwardness and retraction. Blogs are blogs for a reason and anything you read, hear or see should be taken with a grain of salt until substantiated elsewhere.

14. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    No, it's not. It's a play-offs. It's only "like" a league cup if you don't bother yourself with details.

15. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
  16. City Dave

City Dave Member

Jan 26, 2007
    Cleveland, OH
    Club:
    Cleveland C. S.
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The only difference is that the worst two teams aren't included. :rolleyes:

Other than that it is EXACTLY like a league cup. Are those the "details" you are referring to?

The fact that they are giving the league championship to the Three-Quarters League Cup winner doesn't change the fact that it is pretty much a league cup as I already said. Hell, I wasn't even saying it was a bad thing, it was an observation.

Why am I arguing semantics on the internet?

17. Scooter Pete

Scooter Pete Member

Apr 3, 2008
    Austin
    Club:
    Austin Aztex
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Don't be so sure that Brian has it wrong.

The Aztex released a dancing-around-the-issue press release three days before they made it official that they were moving to Orlando to try to deal with their own IMS story -- "yet to make any final decisions with respect to their participation in the upcoming 2011 season" may just mean they have some loose ends to tie up and aren't ready to announce anything yet. I hope that's not the case, but the statement doesn't exactly inspire confidence...

18. time4wine

time4wine Member

Mar 13, 2009
    St. Louis
    Club:
    St. Louis Lions
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  19. railhawksfan

railhawksfan Member

Jan 17, 2008
    Cary, NC
    Club:
    Carolina Railhawks
    deleted

20. jcm28

jcm28 Member

Apr 12, 2009
    Puerto Rico
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Puerto Rico
    No, but maybe NASL can go the cool road and create an NASL-2 and have pro/rel between them:D

21. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Another difference is that this league cup is played at the end of the season and not during the regular season with only the final at the end.

22. Killakakam

Killakakam Member

Aug 19, 2009
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  23. DavidP

DavidP Member

Mar 21, 1999
    Powder Springs, GA
  24. brentgoulet

brentgoulet Member+

Oct 12, 2005
    PuertoPlata, DomRep
    The Silverbacks must be alive and kicking, they have even updated their website

25. WhiteStar Warriors

Mar 25, 2007
    St.Pete/Krakow
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This will effect the Puerto Rico, FC Edmonton, Montreal Impact, these teams could receive millions if they qualify to CCL:

Seattle Sounders FC General Manager, Adrian Hanauer, on Joshua Mayers’s Seattle Times blog, in a live chat with Sounders fans last week, confirmed that MLS teams which qualified for the CONCACAF Champions League will be given more allocation money to bolster their squads.