NASL cries foul on proposed new USSF Division 1 mandates

Discussion in 'NASL' started by HailtotheKing, Aug 31, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. HailtotheKing

HailtotheKing Member+

San Antonio FC
    United States
    Dec 1, 2008
    TEXAS
    Club:
    San Antonio Scorpions FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    athletics68 repped this.
  2. DanGerman

DanGerman Member+

Aug 28, 2014
    New York City
    Club:
    New York City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So the NASL is now suing the USSF because the USSF raised the standards for D1. Why does this strike me as pre spin for them not getting D2 sanction down the road and USL getting it instead. This way they can play the whole "rebel" league angle.

3. msilverstein47

msilverstein47 Member+

Jan 11, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    apparently the Financial Times now has this article under a pay for view, any chance anyone can cut and paste this over to me via PM?

4. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Or a breakdown on what changed or a link to the USSF D1 Standards.

Or are these the old ones but this is just a new story about the lawsuit.

5. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  6. DanGerman

DanGerman Member+

Aug 28, 2014
    New York City
    Club:
    New York City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Antique repped this.
  7. Knave

Knave Member+

May 25, 1999
  8. Yoshou

Yoshou Fan of the CCL Champ

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Can NASL make this claim? As pointed out on twitter multiple times, USSF has been granted the authority to govern soccer in the US via the US Olympic Committee and the Amateur Sporting Act that gives that power to the USOC..

9. The One X

The One X Member+

Sep 9, 2014
    Indiana
    Club:
    Indy Eleven
    Except that they do meet D2 standards.

10. Blando13

Blando13 Member+

Dec 4, 2013
    Lee's Summit, MO
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I know this doesn't help NASL fans who want this, but don't we as a growing soccer nation WANT our requirements for professional teams to increase as the leagues grow, popularity in the sport grows and the ability to put money into things like stadiums and other items get more stringent? As MLS grows I want their standards to grow ... you can't get in on the last generations D1 standards ... we need more from ownership groups now. Same for NASL, USL and others.

Like others have said, get your ducks in a row for D2 before complaining about D1. Heck, work with USSF to increase the D2 standards so that it makes it hard for USL to get in ... if D2 standards don't increase like D1 standards just so USSF can give USL D2 sanctions, then you can gripe. Push for increased D2 standards if you have some issues. Make the current D2 standards match the last D1 standards and work towards that!

11. Blando13

Blando13 Member+

Dec 4, 2013
    Lee's Summit, MO
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Can the meet the current D1 standards (before any proposed changes are made)?

12. The One X

The One X Member+

Sep 9, 2014
    Indiana
    Club:
    Indy Eleven
    I was not commenting on their ability to meet D1 standards. Only their ability to meet D2 standards. Complaining about changing standards that you can't meet currently or in the near future is obviously ridiculous. I just like people to use factual statements, instead of spreading lies and myths as facts.

13. song219

song219 BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 5, 2004
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Vanuatu
    NASL can make any claim they want. I'm sure the commissioner perceives it as good PR under the principle that any news is good news.
    Is is a good enough claim for NASL to get concessions from USSF? Doubtful.
    Is is a good enough claim to prevail in court? My guess is that their chances are < 1%.

14. DanGerman

DanGerman Member+

Aug 28, 2014
    New York City
    Club:
    New York City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They currently do not have a west coast team which you need for D2 standards. The USSF is giving them time to get that team but as it stands they do not meet D2 standards.

15. Blando13

Blando13 Member+

Dec 4, 2013
    Lee's Summit, MO
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I didn't say you were commenting on their ability to meet D1 standards ... I was asking a question if you WOULD comment on that.

16. Blando13

Blando13 Member+

Dec 4, 2013
    Lee's Summit, MO
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They currently PLAN on complying with the current D2 standards though, their commissioner said so.

17. DanGerman

DanGerman Member+

Aug 28, 2014
    New York City
    Club:
    New York City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Exactly, but as it stands right now they do NOT meet D2 standards set by the very same USSF that they are suing.

18. The One X

The One X Member+

Sep 9, 2014
    Indiana
    Club:
    Indy Eleven
    That standard does not come into affect until the 6th year of the league, which the league is currently in its 5th season. Based on a comment in another thread because of when the requirement was changed the NASL may not have to meet that standard until 2017. So yes the NASL does in fact meet D2 standards as the D2 standards state that the league does not have to meet that standard until year 6. Any statement to the contrary is factually false. Once they have missed the date at which they have to have a west coast team then you can start saying the NASL does not meet D2 standards. Notice it is the standards that state this, not an exception given to the NASL.

Prosoccercdn repped this.
  19. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  20. The One X

The One X Member+

Sep 9, 2014
    Indiana
    Club:
    Indy Eleven
    Since the answer is an obvious no, I misunderstood your intentions.

Blando13 repped this.
  21. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well the league owned team and what ever is going on in Cary may say otherwise, but who knows.

22. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Currently the probably do, questions about some teams ownership, the problem is that they may not in 2 to 3 years.

Also they have to get to 12 soon, but not sure by when.

23. Eric Shinn

Eric Shinn Member

Dec 28, 2007

Is that not the point also? That the mandates being given now are set by essentially MLS through the USSF and that the requirements on NASL to maintain D2 status are constructed in a way where they can not maintain it and USL (MLS's partner) can? In addition to the increased D1 requirements to prevent NASL from realistically making an application under the mandates?

Prosoccercdn and The One X repped this.
  24. Eric Shinn

Eric Shinn Member

Dec 28, 2007
    What current D2 sanctioning requirement does NASL not presently meet?

25. Eric Shinn

Eric Shinn Member

Dec 28, 2007
    Kessler makes some good points, with respect to MLS's heavy influence and involvement in USSF decisions and the exchanging of favors and money with SUM and USSF/MLS. It really is not a far leep of logic to conclude that MLS and USSF have a vested interest in maintaining their current relationship and power dynamic. Ever since NASL refused the farm league/reserve league angle and MLS went with USL there has been a much different posture from MLS concerning NASL. (Likely pushed by the SUM v Traffic conflict).

In any event, i think you can look at this article and conclude the mandates are fishy and a the same time conclude that the NASL is not in a position to be D1 now anyway.

markmcf8 repped this.