NASL Blogs and Interviews Thread

Discussion in 'NASL' started by VioletCrown, Feb 8, 2010.

1. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Correct. The original San Jose Earthquakes team was founded by Milan Madaric in either November or December 1973. The only thing that you can really tie in with the old NASL in my opinion are old videos, a lot of memories and maybe some fans. Kids who were in their teens or under 10 in the 70's and early 80's are still fans of their respective teams today. I doubt we would have a team in San Jose if it weren't for the original NASL Quakes. Probably the same can be said about the entire MLS.

2. Yoshou

Yoshou Fan of the CCL Champ

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Which has absolutely nothing to do with my comment. Particularly with regards to the point that the author of the article was making. San Jose was clearly embracing the history of the NASL team when they rebranded from the Clash to the Earthquakes and that rebrand predates the entry of the Sounders, Timbers, and Whitecaps.

3. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    ok...

4. Yoshou

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I can only assume you have JoeGreene on your ignore list. I wasn't responding to your post.

5. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    LOL....:)

BTW, off topic and just curious, did you know Jim McAlister? I remember him smoking outside the dressing room at Spartan Stadium back in the days of glory.

6. ironcub14

ironcub14 Member

Jun 16, 2005
    Club:
    Ottawa Fury
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    Hey guys, I write a blog about Ottawa Fury FC here: http://offcreview.wordpress.com/, and I will be starting to contribute match previews and reviews on OFFC with a couple of my fellow Bytown Boys at rednationonline.ca. I'm @BBSC_SeoulBro on twitter, cheers!

Prosoccercdn repped this.
  7. MLSinSTL

MLSinSTL Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Mar 20, 2009
    Ohio - near a city
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #182 MLSinSTL, Nov 5, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 5, 2014
    greenroom and The One X repped this.
  8. greenroom

greenroom BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 16, 2012
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Interesting article. Yes the Scorpions are behind the Spurs and Cowboys/Texans, but they still draw. But you can say that about any team that the NASL or even MLS are behind the NBA or NFL and even MLB.

I do find it interesting about the Cosmos and how the new team in NY will affect them. Also if the Cosmos ever get their own stadium, will that improve attendance?

9. Sam U El

Sam U El Moderator
    Staff Member

May 31, 2013
    Seoul Korea
    Club:
    New York Cosmos
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think with the results of some elections within the New York area and the recent signing of Raul plus addional roster moves that are being discussed we will finally see some movement on the Belmont plan... The simple answer is Maybe. :sneaky:

10. Yoshou

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Unless the signing of Raul and other roster moves result in a massive bump in attendance, I'm they'd result in the Belmont plan getting movement.. Although, I'd be curious what you mean by the election results? Were some anti-Cosmos politicians voted out and replaced by politicians that are more pro-Cosmos?

11. The One X

The One X Member+

Sep 9, 2014
    Indiana
    Club:
    Indy Eleven
    Thanks for posting, interesting stuff. I agree with "Why MLS Needs A Strong NASL".

12. MLSinSTL

MLSinSTL Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Mar 20, 2009
    Ohio - near a city
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I enjoyed the reading too. I think a strong NASL and USL Pro will only help MLS. I hope that some of the possible expansion news works out well for the NASL in the near future so they continue to progress and grow as a league.

Sam U El and The One X repped this.
  13. Sam U El

Sam U El Moderator
    Staff Member

May 31, 2013
    Seoul Korea
    Club:
    New York Cosmos
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  14. MLSinSTL

MLSinSTL Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Mar 20, 2009
    Ohio - near a city
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  15. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't get why its shrewd at all. Everything in that article screams maybes and chance to me. Sounds like someone excited to waste other peoples time and money to me.

I don't want NASL to lose markets, but there are a many markets the NASL could work in that MLS will probably never touch, go after those (ie LA, why?).

16. Sam U El

Sam U El Moderator
    Staff Member

May 31, 2013
    Seoul Korea
    Club:
    New York Cosmos
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    True but if they do want to at some point have a TV deal they do have to be in major markets. They can't simply cede ATL because NFL... I mean MLS are starting up a franchise. I still think the franchise could move but at the end of the day you need an investor(s). NY has two NFL teams because of this fact... The Chargers did start in LA and could be there again. ;) The Dallas Texans moved to KC and the New Jersey Americans moved to Long Island and changed their name to the NY Nets. Now of course these are different times we live in and the sports landscape has changed due to the huge influx of Television revenue and advertising dollars. MLS is still from a sports standpoint a young league but after surviving the last 20 years they now seem to have the power to pick winners and losers when it comes to soccer cities... I still feel we still have a ways to go before everything is sorted out but if the season ticket pledge numbers are indictive of anything MLS in ATL will be successful.

17. MLSinSTL

MLSinSTL Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Mar 20, 2009
    Ohio - near a city
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think the word "shrewd" was misused. Maybe the title should have been Why I Like NASL's Move to Keep Atlanta in the League. IMO, the article was muddled and lacked much of anything that could be mistaken for coherent.

18. Onionsack

Onionsack BigSoccer Yellow Card

Jul 21, 2003
    New York City
    Club:
    FC Girondins de Bordeaux
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, the answer can be found in the USSF's own biased rules for divisional sanctioning. I know the NASL posters here that just want NASL to be essentially AAA baseball don't care, but USSF requires 2nd division teams to have at least 75% of its clubs in markets of 750K or more. I quick look at the available markets in that range isn't very large based on census data. If NASL wanted to fight for D1 sanctioning, which is what i believe their ultimate goal is they have to have minimum markets of 1 million.

So it should come as no surprise they will have to be in some very large markets which MLS is in or would be in provided they found the right combination of billionaire and stadium plan.

Markets like San Diego, Milwaukee, Detroit, Baltimore, St. Louis, Cleveland, Cincinnati, San Fransisco/Oakland are all million plus markets no MLS team is in now, but you'd have to work to convince me they wouldn't want to be there. But i have a feeling your opinion is NASL should just never compete with MLS at all, and get into markets like Louisville, El Paso, Dayton and Buffalo...which really isnt going to do much for their ambitions and certainly won't work under USSF's bullshit criteria they set up with MLS.

I see nothing wrong with trying to set up a Los Angeles based team, in fact if i am NASL i am working hard to establish teams in those other big markets not being served, or undeserved, as well.

19. shermanator

shermanator New Member

Jul 15, 2012
    Calgary, AB
    Club:
    FC Edmonton
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Not sure if this is the best place to put this, but some aspiring local journos put together a piece on FC Edmonton. I know FC Edmonton isn't talked about much around here, but I hope this gives some insight into the owner's commitment to the team, and some the struggles the club has had in getting stability in a place where pro soccer has failed every time prior.

http://macewanjournalism.com/portfolio/local-community-global-game/

OpenCupFan, ceezmad and carnifex2005 repped this.
  20. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    How dare they, this is sacrilege! :p

21. shermanator

shermanator New Member

Jul 15, 2012
    Calgary, AB
    Club:
    FC Edmonton
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    I'm surprised the American based NASL clubs haven't launched a compliant with the Human Rights Tribal of Alberta... :cool:

22. Prosoccercdn

Prosoccercdn Member+

Aug 6, 2011
    Club:
    FC Edmonton
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Fort Lauderdale and Ronaldo – Not enough bang for the buck?

http://kartikreport.com/2014/12/15/fort-lauderdale-and-ronaldo-not-enough-bang-for-the-buck/

It is worth noting that like the Raul announcement by the New York Cosmos the day before, many MLS-oriented soccer blogger mocked the Ronaldo news even though some of these same individuals will overstate the importance of any signings or news from Major League Soccer. While some of this can be attributed the accessibility of the MLS product vis a vis the NASL and the rhetorical barbs delivered by NASL side, much of it is just plain blissful ignorance.

I found it remarkable that many bloggers sought to debate me on Wednesday night about the value of some MLS signings like Jermain Defoe and Robbie Keane when compared to Raul. But a narrative has been played out among many bloggers that NASL is irrelevant This is a personal choice that some writers can make, but at least be honest in making the argument I would contend rather than somehow claiming Keane, Defoe or some other journeyman European club player that MLS suddenly signs is more important than one of the greatest players in the history of the world’s biggest club. I should not that mainstream print writers like Wahl, the excellent Brian Strauss, Jeff Carlisle and others do not engage in this game. It is almost strictly speaking a blogger problem, which has exemplified the laziness of many who write about the sport in this country.

23. ChinaBlue

ChinaBlue Member

Sep 18, 2013
  24. Prosoccercdn

Prosoccercdn Member+

Aug 6, 2011
    Club:
    FC Edmonton
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Five Ways Ronaldo Can Help Improve The Fort Lauderdale Strikers

http://blogs.browardpalmbeach.com/p...an_help_improve_the_ftlauderdale_strikers.php

"When a Brazilian ownership group purchased the Fort Lauderdale Strikers earlier this year, they promised to class the place up, add some buzz, and bring some recognition to the constantly-battling-to-stay-relevant NASL team.

Damn if they didn't deliver on that promise quickly.

Brazilian soccer legend and two-time World Cup champion Ronaldo joined the Fort Lauderdale Strikers ownership group last week, and people took notice -- even those who weren't one-hundred-percent sure the Fort Lauderdale Strikers still existed."

25. Sam U El

Sam U El Moderator
    Staff Member

May 31, 2013
    Seoul Korea
    Club:
    New York Cosmos
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    COSMOS ENJOYING HEALTHY COMPETITION IN NEW YORK, NASL IN WAKE OF RAUL SIGNING
    Posted on December 23, 2014 by Ryan Tolmich

The addition of Spanish forward Raul was viewed as a warning shot. With a new team entering the market and another approaching a crossroads, the New York Cosmos signing a player of legendary caliber was seen, by many, as a statement of intent.

Cosmos head coach Giovanni Savarese views things much differently. Having worn MetroStars colors before being embraced as head of the revived New York Cosmos, Savarese understands the pulse of New York soccer.

For him, Raul’s addition was less of a statement than it was an improvement. With an eye on the big picture, Savarese believes that the Cosmos ambitions, as well as those of New York City FC and the New York Red Bulls, don’t breed competition, per se, but enhancement.

http://www.sbisoccer.com/2014/12/savarese-enjoying-competition.html