NASL 2018 Death Wat... er News Thread

Discussion in 'NASL' started by AndyMead, Jan 10, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    I guess we should start a new thread.

2:44pm today I got simultaneous press releases from Indy Eleven and the USL confirming Indy's move from the NASL to the USL.

hipityhop and athletics68 repped this.
  2. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Press release:

Indy Eleven joins USL for the 2018 season
    Strong team, fan support will add to regional rivalries

Indianapolis, Ind. (Jan. 10, 2018) – The United Soccer League today announced the addition of Indy Eleven for the 2018 season. Indy Eleven will join Fresno FC, Las Vegas Lights FC, Nashville SC, North Carolina FC and ATL UTD 2 as new additions for the upcoming USL season.

Founded in 2013, Indy Eleven averaged 9,170 fans per game across its four prior seasons, making it one of the strongest lower-division clubs in North America. From its inception, Indy Eleven has inspired loyalty and enthusiasm from Hoosiers while also boasting one of the most passionate fan clubs in the world of soccer.

Indy Eleven claimed its first trophy in the 2016 Spring season, and its championship pedigree will add another successful organization to a region of the country that also boasts 2017 USL Cup-winner Louisville City FC and perennial powerhouse FC Cincinnati.

“Today, we are delighted to announce the addition of another tremendous organization to the USL,” said USL Chief Executive Officer Alec Papadakis. “The work that has been done by owner Ersal Ozdemir and President Jeff Belskus to establish the Indy Eleven in the heartland of America has been incredibly impressive, as has the club’s commitment to its fans and local community. Indy Eleven brings all of the qualities that make a club successful in the USL and will add tremendously to the league’s rivalries in the region.”

“We are excited to begin a new chapter in our club’s history as we join the USL for the 2018 season,” said Indy Eleven Owner Ersal Ozdemir. “The USL’s remarkable growth on and off the field the past few years has gotten the attention of soccer fans everywhere. We look forward to helping the league continue this momentum as its visibility continues to rise both in the United States and around the world.”

The USL’s tremendous success of 2017 shows no signs of slowing down as the new year begins, with the league’s rising prominence being driven by multiple factors, including record attendance, expansion into exciting new markets for professional soccer, increased sponsorship revenue, greater audience reach through USL Productions and more soccer-specific stadiums throughout the league.

###

About Indy Eleven
    Since its launch in 2013 by owner Ersal Ozdemir, Indy Eleven’s mission – “To win championships with and for the community” – has stayed true to its aim of fielding a team that represents the State of Indiana proudly on and off the field. Get the latest news on “Indiana’s Team” at www.IndyEleven.com and via the club’s @IndyEleven channels on social media, including Facebook, Twitter, Instagram & Snapchat.

About USL
    The USL is one of the most prominent Division II professional soccer leagues in the world, reaching a population of more than 75 million people to fuel the growth of professional soccer across North America. Headquartered in Tampa, Florida, the USL provides unparalleled club support with a growing team of more than 50 professionals across 17 departments, ranging from operations to marketing, communications and sponsorship.

The USL has national media partnerships with ESPN and SiriusXM, and operates USL Productions, which includes a state-of-the-art facility that will produce and distribute more than 500 league matches and more than 1,000 hours of original content to national partners, local affiliates, the USL’s Match Center and international markets over the 2018 season.

Indy Eleven Media Relations – Steven Krusie
    USL Public Relations – Nicholas Murray / Aaron Cranford

3. Egbert Sousé

Egbert Sousé Member

NYCFC
    May 25, 2013
    nyc
    Club:
    New York City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I saw this News Release from California United:

Macsen, artml, SixKick and 15 others repped this.
  4. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nice

5. athletics68

athletics68 Member+

Dec 12, 2006
    San Diego & San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Strange... I got a conflicting report from them:

6. TheJoeGreene

TheJoeGreene Member+

Aug 19, 2012
    The Lubbock Texas
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    The braille release for the visually impaired:

barroldinho and Egbert Sousé repped this.
  7. Knave

Knave Member+

May 25, 1999
    So, here's a question ...

Right now, we're left with three NASL teams that actually do kind of exist: NY, Miami, Jacksonville. (Puerto Rico is kind of in limbo, and California and San Diego, exist, at best, on paper only.)

So, what's going on with the NY, Miami, and Jacksonville player rosters? Do they have players on contract and in training that will go without games until (they say) August?

Isn't every player who can going to switch over to the USL or try for some other option? And who will be left for the NASL to sign when they do want to start pre-season training again in the spring and summer?

I'm just looking at this "league" (which now has a grand total of 3 teams), and I'm thinking where the hell are they even going to get any players?

The local rec leagues?

8. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    That's a great question. I can pretty much guarantee you that most D2 level players with dreams of making/returning to MLS aren't going to want to sit on a shelf - even if they're getting paid - until August. They're going to want to play. With MLS and USL teams playing March-ish through the summer, most of the viable/active domestic players will be under contract if/when NASL teams start looking at building rosters mid-summer.

There are former MLS/NASL/USL players in local rec leagues, but they're mostly there for good reasons. Then you're going to be looking at players cut from MLS rosters at the roster deadline.

You are not looking at any roster continuity.

And you're going to have similar questions about coaches. Maybe Alessandro Nesta wouldn't mind a paid extended leave this Spring in South Florida, but I suspect he is looking at his options.

And, it goes without saying, there won't be any NASL teams in the LHUSOC this summer.

TheJoeGreene repped this.
  9. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Maybe an NASL 3.0 would be like that soccer league in India was going to try and be (the Etcheverry was going to coach in and Quintanilla was going to play in if I recall). A short season showcase league with pretty much completely new rosters each season. Based on the very successful model of cricket's Indian Premier League.

10. Stuart95

Stuart95 Member+

Mar 11, 2012
    NoVA
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Indian Super League, it has a short season and shares D1 status with the I-League.

11. Gamecock14

Gamecock14 Member+

May 27, 2010
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    It would fit more with what the Cosmos and the NASL were/are. The brand has seemed more important than the soccer.

oknazevad and AndyMead repped this.
  12. Darkwing McQuack

Darkwing McQuack BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 11, 2011
    Morrisville, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    More inspiring news from PR.

13. Paulo_PT

Paulo_PT Member

SL Benfica
    Portugal
    Sep 17, 2017
    California United should change location to Inland/Orange Empire region and join USL.
    San Diego 1904 FC also should join USL.

With this USL will have 36 teams and 3 divisions :D

14. newtex

newtex Member+

May 25, 2005
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Not quite.

There are lots of reports that Orlando City B is going on hiatus this year. That would mean 33 teams at the moment. Cal United and San Diego would only make 35. If they both happen, which they won't.

15. Paulo_PT

Paulo_PT Member

SL Benfica
    Portugal
    Sep 17, 2017
    I'm counting Jacksonville Armada FC, probably affilated with Orlando City SC

16. 2in10

2in10 Member+

LA Galaxy, Internazionale
    United States
    Jun 19, 2016
    Sparks, NV
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    USL are adding at least 3 teams next year and are supposed to have 3 conferences also.

17. 2in10

2in10 Member+

United States
    Jun 19, 2016
    Sparks, NV
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    USL is supposed to be planning on releasing the 2018 schedule next week. An Orlando City B hiatus or the addition of Jacksonville could be the reason.

18. newtex

newtex Member+

May 25, 2005
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    You mean 2019? We shall see. One of the three is Austin which will certainly be affected by the Crew move if it happens. (Birmingham and Memphis are the other two.)

And other things will affect the number. Ottawa may move over to the CPL. MLS teams have been in and out lately on their MLS2 teams. Things change.

I haven't seen anything where USL has committed to three conferences in 2019. What I have seen is 3 conferences when the league gets to 36 teams. That could happen in 2019 but it is not guaranteed.

2in10 repped this.
  19. Bklyn Royals Fan

United States
    Jan 17, 2008
    Club:
    New York Cosmos
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    BTW, What is a 'Death Wat', is that a new light bulb? Hey I see what you did there;)!

So they announced a move to the international calendar, great, but where is the "generic commitment to the league" press release after Indy left?

DavidP and barroldinho repped this.
  20. 2in10

2in10 Member+

United States
    Jun 19, 2016
    Sparks, NV
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes I mean 2019 since we are in 2018. Probably should have said so since the 2018 season hasn't started. That was on a tweet from the boss. But since I only saw the tweet it may well have been taken out of context.

I agree Austin is in flux. Screwy situation there.

There may be a move of the 2 teams to be an affiliation like the Whitecaps and Fresno and that too would create some more interesting situations.

Chicago is supposed to be coming in 2020 and an East Bay team in 2021 at the latest.

21. newtex

newtex Member+

May 25, 2005
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Now that I look some more, Jake Edwards did say three conferences for either 2018 or 2019. He said that last summer so I was way behind the current plans on that issue.

The other factor for 2019 would be the creation of USL3. Some teams may drop down into that. We shall see. If the USL can stay at least at 30 teams in 2019 three conferences should work. I'm against 3 conferences because it screws up the playoffs so much but we'll see how it goes. I was actually hoping that they would blow right by 36 teams and get to 4 conferences quickly.

2in10 repped this.
  22. 2in10

2in10 Member+

United States
    Jun 19, 2016
    Sparks, NV
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I thought 3 was a weird choice also. I can see USL3 doing some odd things to the numbers. That would be great to get to 4 conferences. The growth is still good but the boom may be over.

I think I saw where Albuquerque is looking to get involved in USL but they seem to be having trouble getting a stadium in place.

The NASL teams may be the only way to move to 4 quickly. I can see SD going USL. Cal United would most likely be a no go since I believe they are supposed to be in SoCal around LA. OC supposedly has the area locked up all the way into the Inland Empire. They got some sort of compensation for allowing Los Dos.

23. Sounders78

Sounders78 Member+

Apr 20, 2009
    Olympia
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    2x18, 3x12 or 4x9 - either works with 36 teams. If you want a 34 game season, then 2x18 is the simplest math.

2in10 repped this.
  24. Paulo_PT

Paulo_PT Member

SL Benfica
    Portugal
    Sep 17, 2017
    I think with 36 teams, 2x18 will be better. Because they could play 34 intraconference regular season games, resulting in a Western Conference Champion and Eastern Conference Champion at the end of the regular season.

Then the Playoffs will be interconference games to determine National Champion. Top 8 from each conference.
    R1: 16 teams. #1(WC)VS#8(EC); #2(WC)VS#7(EC); #3(WC)VS#6(EC); #4(WC)VS#5(EC); #5(WC)VS#4(EC); #6(WC)VS#3(EC); #7(WC)VS#2(EC); #8(WC)VS#1(EC). Highest rated team playing at home.
    R2: 8 teams
    R3: 4 teams
    R4: Final

25. 2in10

2in10 Member+

United States
    Jun 19, 2016
    Sparks, NV
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Orlando City B has gone on hiatus this year. New alignment has 17 teams in the west with St Louis moving to the west and 16 teams in the east. The reports on the schedule coming out next week sound about right.