NASL 2017 News Thread

Discussion in 'NASL' started by Sandon Mibut, Jan 4, 2017.

1. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Chicago Fire. Not stupid.
    D.C. United. Not stupid.
    Columbus Crew. Not stupid.
    Philadelphia Union. Not stupid.
    Colorado Rapids. Not stupid.
    Sacramento Republic. Not stupid.
    Charleston Battery. Not stupid.
    Jacksonville Armada. Not stupid.

(And I deliberately left out the legacy brands whose significance can be nostalgia-fueled, but which, let us admit, are mostly not stupid.)

Indigenous references with thought put into them are not generic or posing or stupid.

My biggest complaint is the meetings to craft the identities of most teams now seem to take between four and seven minutes.

2. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    But doesn't the fear of that make everyone try harder?

(And if you have ever seen desperate, clawing, must-get-a-point soccer, you know how truly beautiful it is to watch. Especially if your team is not involved.)

3. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sorry but names of clubs seem like problem #2182 right now.

The Irish Rover repped this.
  4. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    From the article:
    In a scenario in which the preliminary injunction is granted, we should expect to see the following teams return to the NASL: the New York Cosmos, Miami FC, Jacksonville Armada and Indy Eleven. The other four existing clubs have some question marks, but all four could return.

5. athletics68

athletics68 Member+

Dec 12, 2006
    San Diego & San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    San Diego 1904 FC appears to be the full name.

6. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    From the Soccer America article:
    "Commisso's response was that Gulati was using "more of the same delaying tactics that only harm the NASL and soccer in the U.S.""

Wow. Just, wow. Commisso claimed Gulati was delaying? Delaying what? Dude, I'm a fan of the NASL existing, but holy crap that's some pretty big brass balls right there. The NASL has been playing a shell game with the D2 standards since it was founded.

7. C-Rob

C-Rob Member

May 31, 2000
    I couldn't get over that Gulai actually tried to help NASL retain their status by asking the board to reconsider their ruling. I'm no fan of Gulati, but he bent over backwards to give NASL (yet) another chance. I personally don't feel it was warranted or worth the effort, but any NASL fan blaming Gulati has their head up their ass.

SierraSpartan and barroldinho repped this.
  8. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    I'm a big fan of Gulati. Not all of his decisions, mind you. I think hiring Klinsmann was a big mistake, and I think firing Tom Sermanni was an equally big mistake. But as an administrator, and someone that understands the soccer world and how it works, I think he's perfect for the job. I understand the anger over MNT results - and the hysterical reaction from some quarters after the USWNT results this year (in meaningless friendlies, mind you), but maybe the solution isn't firing Gulati, but redefining part of the job.

9. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sorry, we'll all check with you in the future before replying to posts about topics you don't deem worthy.

10. C-Rob

C-Rob Member

May 31, 2000
    #1810 C-Rob, Oct 21, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 21, 2017
    I think does well dealing with FIFA, and regardless of what happens during February, I'd like to see him retained in some capacity that allows him to keep going with that. My problem with him is that his hires at all levels are awful (He has done pretty well with the women's hires, though). You pointed out Kilinsmann, but the youth coaches have been terrible.

Under his watch, Tab Ramos, who was underwhelming as a youth coach in New Jersey, was hired, and despite some awful coaching and personnel decisions, was rehired. Twice. He has worked his way up to the presumptive favorite for the interim MNT position by being mediocre.

That is better than Richie Williams, though, who had never coached youth before, yet was hired for the U17 position. That made it worse, because he worked with each class for 2 years in Bradenton. Despite failing to even qualify for the World Cup, he was inexplicably rehired. He then qualified for the next World Cup by the skin of his teeth, where they promptly crashed out. That is 4 years of Richie. Other than Pulisic, there is a notable gap in the MNT in the 19-22 age bracket. That isn't a coincidence.

Brad Friedel was hired as the U19 coach. His prior coaching experience? None whatsoever.

He fired Hugo Perez, the only US coach who ever managed to get his players to play attractive soccer

I wasn't happy about the result in T&T, but believe me, my frustrations were building for years. The loss to T&T did nothing but add another nail to the coffin. At the very least, as you said, the job needs split up, and someone from outside the US hierarchy needs to start making hiring decisions. I want someone from outside so more ex-national teamers punching above their weight aren't hired. Hire on merit. Hire on experience with the types of players they will be coaching. Hire people who can actually coach the game the way USSF allegedly wants US teams to play.

As for the women's team, I feel that is simply the US playing the same as they always have but the rest of the world is catching up. It's not on the coaches Gulati has hired. The US women are bedeviled by much the same issues as the US men are, and now the rest of the world is starting to expose that, especially at the youth level, where the US is absolutely pedestrian.

jaykoz3, DanGerman and Zoidberg repped this.
  11. Zoidberg

Zoidberg Member+

Jun 23, 2006
    Real nice post CRob. (Reread this...long post, sorry I;m done)

Not gonna do the whole recall how I feel about Sunil. Did all the thankless work that was needed, but job has gotten to big/outgrown him in areas. For me this has been pretty obvious since 2010 ended. He would be an asset if kept on as Andy noted, but his roles need to be refined.

Sunil is human, and he has accumulated a lot of power over the years. As the game has grown word is his arrogance and hubris has grown. Only natural. I don't doubt the whole JK debacle, in which JK exposed Sunil's limitations at so many levels, is something he has surely learned from....but with regards to an entity this size learning on the job is no longer acceptable.

His coddling of his good buddy Tab, from signing him to a fat MLS contract which the team he was playing for didn't want (!), to giving him assistant coaching jobs Tab himself said he wasnt sure he wanted, to the keys of the U20's, after looking like a rank amateur in the youth world in NJ (not just my opinion, many have come here and stated their absolute shock) is the bureaucratic FIFA world Sunil has created, and has learned from. Has Tab done a decent job? Well, he has learned as he has moved forward, but he hasn't exactly had to work hard to get to where he is, or had much pressure...like JK...he is a son pf pure privilege.
    Start at the top with limited resume and just take it wherever it goes. No worries.

Not good.

The lack of professionalism inside the USSF is painfully obvious to see, and the self contained cocoon insulates those who have grown with the game. Sure, they were there when no one gave a damn, but it shouldn't entitle them to carte blanche. It's exactly how all of those old corrupt FIFA guys got rich. They were there when TV money wasn't big, and the jobs weren't a big deal, and they hopped on for the ride...and the blinders, bureacracy, power and mental corruption that comes with entrenchment naturally germinates and grows.

Sunil should not be making soccer decisions. It's simply ridiculous that he is.

He should do the busy work he is good at....do his FIFA politiking which he has learned over years of watching snakes work, after being hoodwinked a few times, and leave the soccer decisions for FNG soccer people.

His speech after the loss reeked of FIFA.

I know there was a tweet floating about that said the rules at USSF had been teaked to make it harder to run against him (don't know if true, but that is pure learned FIFA if it is), and as I stated once before....I know a few within organization who really have an issue with him....main reason....ARROGANCE.

When you are in power for so long it is only natural for it to happen. It is one thing to be arrogant and have ability (Jose M for example), quiet another when a major part of your job expose your limittations and you are still arrogant.

I am still a fan of Sunil.........but not when it comes to techinical soccer decisions.
    It's hard to have hope if he retains the job and conitnues to make them. We will get improvement through inertia, but it will be tedious, and I can see myself losing interest after all these decades. I have a hard time following poor/limited leadership for the long haul. At that point it becomes my issue for being a sheep.

Not a snap "social media five second type" decision. Decades of watching and over these last several years the rot has been there to see. This was no accident, and it didn't happen overnight.

Remember, everyone was riding sky high in 2007 (the economy), while some of us were pulling our money out during the height of all the euphoria. I see a lot of similarities in the USSF since 2010.

Yeah, we have a foundation to rebuild, and we can't expect to overhaul everything. Not possible here.....but damn, at least let a qualified soccer person make the freaking soccer decisions! That'a all I ask.

jaykoz3, bnyc, DanGerman and 2 others repped this.
  12. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

mr_tony_had_that_one.jpg

SixKick, jaykoz3 and ArsenalMetro repped this.
  13. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    athletics68 repped this.
  14. athletics68

athletics68 Member+

Dec 12, 2006
    San Diego & San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Not really any surprises, but as expected NASL is down 3 teams in 2018.

15. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    There was an official announcement about NCFC?

16. Knave

Knave Member+

May 25, 1999
    Revealed in court today. Deltas folding, NCFC to USL.

17. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Cool. We can renew the Richmond/Charleston/RDU rivalry.

18. Knave

Knave Member+

May 25, 1999
    [​IMG]

Think about this: 50% of the teams playing for the NASL championship will not be in the NASL next season.

artml and 30King repped this.
  19. Darkwing McQuack

Darkwing McQuack BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 11, 2011
    Morrisville, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So this confirms a NC vs SF final right?

SixKick, KidFlash, athletics68 and 2 others repped this.
  20. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Actually, that's a semi. It sets up a Stayers vs Leavers final.

Zamphyr repped this.
  21. Darkwing McQuack

Darkwing McQuack BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 11, 2011
    Morrisville, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well damn. Can we have that changed for our amusement?

22. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Well one semi is the two ringleaders in the lawsuit against USSF. The other features a team about to fold hosting a team owned by the "pro" representative on the USSF board who is desperately trying to land an MLS team.

CoronaOrange repped this.
  23. athletics68

athletics68 Member+

Dec 12, 2006
    San Diego & San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    SF wins and they’d be the second team in a decade to win the championship in a major soccer league and then fold (FC Gold pride being the other).

ceezmad repped this.
  24. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    The Sol shoulda won in 2009, and Miami Fusion FC 2001 was one of the all-time great MLS teams.

25. song219

song219 BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 5, 2004
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Vanuatu
    Supporters Shield winners.