NASL 2017 News Thread

Discussion in 'NASL' started by Sandon Mibut, Jan 4, 2017.

1. The One X

The One X Member+

Sep 9, 2014
    Indiana
    Club:
    Indy Eleven
    Probably because he wasn't necessarily being literal in what he was saying cause it is casual conversation. But yeah you know it is BigSoccer so...

barroldinho repped this.
  2. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #752 kenntomasch, Jun 23, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 23, 2017
    Milan Mandaric! ;)

(A database of owners would be interesting, though.)

barroldinho and AndyMead repped this.
  3. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They won't acquire "the league" per se.

Any references to that effect are more properly "salvaging the parts."

Bklyn Royals Fan and barroldinho repped this.
  4. Sporting Real

Sporting Real Member+

Jun 29, 2011
    Kansas City
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Haven't heard anything about PR, good or bad. All I know is they clearly expect the team to be doing much better on the field than it is.

Zoidberg repped this.
  5. song219

song219 BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 5, 2004
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Vanuatu
    Pro-Rel is soccer writers version of patent medicine.

6. Bklyn Royals Fan

United States
    Jan 17, 2008
    Club:
    New York Cosmos
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's plausible. OK, maybe not the league, but certainly all the existing 'capitalized teams'. I am working under the assumption that the USSF would not let these teams go away. I'm thinking about what was allegedly proposed where USL would take NASL teams and the USL entry fee would be paid in installments over a long period.

7. CFLRowdiesFan

CFLRowdiesFan Member

Sep 22, 2016
    According to a thread on Reddit, Jacksonville has a new ownership group. It's Robert Palmer Companies, an umbrella group of real estate service companies based in Lake Mary, FL (NE of Orlando). But I haven't seen any confirmation so as they say...stay tuned.

8. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Robert Palmer?

CFLRowdiesFan repped this.
  9. CFLRowdiesFan

CFLRowdiesFan Member

Sep 22, 2016
    :)

I always liked his music...it was sad when he died.

Reminds me of that rumor about Sting's son and a possible team in Southern California.

10. CFLRowdiesFan

CFLRowdiesFan Member

Sep 22, 2016
    A follow up to the previous info on the Armada...

On it's Twitter feed, the club is now promising a "major" announcement on Tuesday.

There is a new shirt sponsor as well and it's the same company that was rumored to be buying the club last week.

11. CFLRowdiesFan

CFLRowdiesFan Member

Sep 22, 2016
  12. athletics68

athletics68 Member+

Dec 12, 2006
    San Diego & San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  13. newtex

newtex Member+

May 25, 2005
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    I don't believe that article includes this response from MLS:

“As was stated to Mr. Silva both in person and in a subsequent letter, Major League Soccer is prohibited contractually from engaging in discussions about our media rights with other distributors. We are not in a position, nor are we interested, in engaging with Mr. Silva on his proposal.”

“It is also important to note that since its inception, MLS, like the other North American leagues, has dealt directly with its domestic broadcast partners, rather than through agents and brokers. This ensures that the league and its partners can structure an agreement that addresses all elements, such as scheduling, marketing and digital distribution, that are required for a successful partnership.”

http://soccer.nbcsports.com/2017/07/24/mls-rejected-4-billion-deal-which-wanted-promotionrelegation/

MLS couldn't say yes to Silva even if they wanted to until at least 2021.

14. DanGerman

DanGerman Member+

Aug 28, 2014
    New York City
    Club:
    New York City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Why doesn't Mr. Silva use some of that money to improve the infrastructure of NASL teams or hell give the NASL a deal for a quarter of that and put some money into the league?

CFLRowdiesFan repped this.
  15. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Probably because he doesn't really care about pro/rel, he's angling for something else. And he knows full well that MLS is contractually locked, so it's a zero risk that they'd take him up on the offer grandstanding.

Gamecock14, DanGerman and The One X repped this.
  16. Cirris

Cirris Member+

Feb 25, 2014
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    #766 Cirris, Jul 24, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 24, 2017
    Because he knows that MLS will be the top teir league for the long term. And without a promotion and Relegation system in place, NASL clubs will always be chasing the short term minor league dollar.

Second, the supposed deal was a non sequitur move. As pointed out. MLS couldn't negotiate media rights for another half decade. Why even offer that kind of deal if MLS is already contractually set?

Short answer, It's a publicity stunt. Especially if promotion and relegation was supposedly part of the equation.

Silva owns a team that is winning in "second tier" but will be stuck there because of MLS. On top of MLS having their own plans in usurping Miami for Beckham's club (hopefully :whistling::sleep: )

Also, ...........
    http://variety.com/2016/biz/asia/china-investors-buy-sports-rights-leader-mp-silva-1201781799/

what's the Chinese motive in this?

DanGerman repped this.
  17. Darkwing McQuack

Darkwing McQuack BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 11, 2011
    Morrisville, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just saw this on Reddit. God knows if this is true or not, but Silva might go to war with MLS.

889626620163698688 is not a valid tweet id

18. athletics68

athletics68 Member+

Dec 12, 2006
    San Diego & San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Peterson and the Cosmos Round 2

Hope he loses his shirt

19. Darkwing McQuack

Darkwing McQuack BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 11, 2011
    Morrisville, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What I don't understand is why he just didn't invest it in NASL to begin with? Now it just looks like he's doing it in spite.

athletics68 repped this.
  20. Gamecock14

Gamecock14 Member+

May 27, 2010
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    I am really curious to know if the NASL was selling promotion to MLS when the last round of owners came into the league.

It seems to be the only way that what has happened the last 2+ years makes sense.

21. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    What last round of owners?

I know Malik didn't buy in based on pro/rel. His local team was in a bad situation and he stepped in with a business plan.

I doubt many people with the actual financial wherewithal to run a D1 or increasingly a D2 franchise, don't make that kind of investment without some due diligence.

22. Gamecock14

Gamecock14 Member+

May 27, 2010
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    I was talking pre 2015 when you had OKC, Miami, new FLL ownership, and Tampa join (should of clarified).

With the way the NASL nearly collapsed. Did the owners understand what they were getting into, if they were going to remain D2?

23. Sporting Real

Sporting Real Member+

Jun 29, 2011
    Kansas City
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I remember mentioning this once. Chinese have been into European leagues and ridiculous cost. Buying or financing lower league teams in the US is a much, much cheaper option. Those hundreds of millions they're spending to buy a team in the UK would get you a team here, and you could build a stadium and launch a youth academy and build a really good team.

Middle Eastern oil money has inflated the value of European soccer a ton, so the US/Canada are much cheaper options. And the Shiek's haven't started buying into US soccer because the value of each team is limited, more due to the salary cap I'd say than to the absence of Pro/Rel.

Think about it: China now has the deal with the Portuguese 2nd Division. They own teams throughout Europe. Money is flowing in their own league. It's a prestige move to pony up to their current president. And what bigger prestige move could you pull off then bankrolling a soccer league in the USA that competes with the more established MLS?

And if Chinese money starts to flow into NASL, possibly NISA and further down to whatever other leagues decide to hitch to the Pro/Rel wagon, how long do you think MLS really withstands the onslaught?

Obviously, this all hypothetical, but Chinese businessmen are smarter than me, and this didn't take me long to figure out.

24. newtex

newtex Member+

May 25, 2005
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    You mean these Chinese businessmen?

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/chinese-super-league-crisis-13-10865718

Gamecock14 repped this.
  25. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Forever?

Egbert Sousé repped this.