NASL 2017 News Thread

Discussion in 'NASL' started by Sandon Mibut, Jan 4, 2017.

1. athletics68

athletics68 Member+

Dec 12, 2006
    San Diego & San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    FIFA won't care. Unless those leagues are being taken out of the brown paper bags their bribes arrive in, they don't give a rats backside. Soccer is really a secondary consideration when it comes to FIFA.

Duke Kickass repped this.
  2. JDogindy

JDogindy Member

Nov 20, 2014
    Club:
    Indy Eleven
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  3. The One X

The One X Member+

Sep 9, 2014
    Indiana
    Club:
    Indy Eleven
    What if that feeder league is part of the solution to their problems? I agree with the premise of the article, there is nothing in the article that is overtly wrong, but it makes an assumption that is not necessarily true. The assumption being that being business partners with NISA won't help to stabilize the NASL. Obviously the NASL needs to focus on their own needs first, but that might not be mutually exclusive from getting involved with NISA. Either way it is too early to tell. right now NISA has 0 teams.

Fracas repped this.
  4. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  5. Sporting Real

Sporting Real Member+

Jun 29, 2011
    Kansas City
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Detroit City is like 95% in, barring a drastic change

6. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    What have you heard?

7. Sporting Real

Sporting Real Member+

Jun 29, 2011
    Kansas City
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Things. In all seriousness, I don't want to upset anyone, so that is about all I can say. The public thing I saw that gave this away is a guy on LinkedIn that the team is using to help actively recruit investors. Every other source is private info, and even they didn't know about the guy on LinkedIn

8. Darkwing McQuack

Darkwing McQuack BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 11, 2011
    Morrisville, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    With NASL's track record I'll believe these rumors when there's an actual product on the field. I think that's the best way to approach it.

barroldinho repped this.
  9. Sporting Real

Sporting Real Member+

Jun 29, 2011
    Kansas City
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I would like to clarify, Detroit City is like 95% to NISA, not NASL. Got my notifications mixed up, and the last post from Prime was talking NISA

10. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Ah, my bad. I thought you were talking MLS expansion. Carry on.

11. msilverstein47

msilverstein47 Member+

Jan 11, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    since the BS folks apparently removed the Strikers thread entirely...I'll place this here:

http://www.empireofsoccer.com/foreclosed-strikers-set-for-public-auction-62038/

Foreclosed Strikers Set for Public Auction
    6/16/2017

The Fort Lauderdale Strikers, a storied member of both the original and modern North American Soccer League, will be auctioned to the highest bidder in an online public sale on Tuesday, June 20.

Up for sale in the auction are Fort Lauderdale’s copyrights, trademarks and any rights to the use of the name “Fort Lauderdale Strikers” or any variation. Available along with the Strikers branding are any remaining contracts held by the team’s Brazilian ownership group with one significant exception. Not included in the public sale is the group’s membership in the NASL, perhaps the most valuable piece of collateral the group has left.

12. JDogindy

JDogindy Member

Nov 20, 2014
    Club:
    Indy Eleven
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There is this thing that exists called "fan ownership". It's a highly combustible idea where fans vote on everything from signing players to ticket prices, and I say this because there might be a possibility this could happen as a result of this auction.

All you got to do is look up "Salt Lake Screaming Eagles" and read all about that.

13. Darkwing McQuack

Darkwing McQuack BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 11, 2011
    Morrisville, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Edwards bought them today for a measly $5,100.

14. DanGerman

DanGerman Member+

Aug 28, 2014
    New York City
    Club:
    New York City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

So correct me if I'm wrong but didn't the former Brazilian owners have a 3 million dollar offer to buy the team that they turn down!! Seems like they should have taken the money, doesn't it.

barroldinho and The One X repped this.
  15. Bklyn Royals Fan

United States
    Jan 17, 2008
    Club:
    New York Cosmos
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    To be fair it was probably 3 million Zimbabwe dollars.

$5,100 dollars! Flight 19 could have done a gofundme and put in a random bid! Though I assume, they would be holding the bag with all the Strikers debt?.

Good article below highlighting the next steps. The 1st bullet is interesting, assuming Tampa Bay gets into MLS, could the Strikers be re-activated as an affiliate club?

https://thefloridasqueeze.com/2017/...in-new-chapter-with-bill-edwards-acquisition/
    Several potential scenarios exist with Edwards’ victory:

• Edwards now in control of the club’s trademarks and IP could opt to revive the Strikers as a playing side in USL (where the Rowdies play) the new USL D3 league playing in 2019 or PDL, a fourth division owned by USL.
    • Edwards could sell the club to a local investor, perhaps including one whose previous attempts to buy the club was rejected by NASL.
    • Current Strikers ownership could rebrand and field a team in NASL if the other owners of the struggling league are willing to allow that. This is unlikely.
    • The team’s trademark could be used simply to sell merchandise – likely a losing proposition but one that involves little risk.
    • Edwards could expand upon his victory looking to acquire Fort Lauderdale’s dormant Lockhart Stadium (which is currently leased by the Strikers owners).

16. Knave

Knave Member+

May 25, 1999
    The problem: "At the time of this writing several sources on the condition of anonymity tell me that multiple NASL club owners are in discussions with USL currently about potentially defecting to the rival league for next season or 2019."

The solution: promotion and relegation, because (obviously) "NASL’s Failure to Truly Embrace PRO/REL has led the league to the brink of extinction."

The world according to Kartik.

Like promotion and relegation (of all things!) is some miracle cure to bring stability to an unstable league.

For fcuk's sake!

17. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    [​IMG]

Zoidberg, barroldinho and JDogindy repped this.
  18. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Here's the thing, though:
    A - It BARELY exists in this country, with good reason: because
    B - Fans don't REALLY want to own teams. They want to design scarves and fire the coach and decide who plays left back. They have neither the experience to set ticket prices (they would set them too low, believing they will make it up on volume, or, worse, give lots away under the theory that "If you give it to them once, then they'll pay after that," which doesn't happen) or the stomach for the inevitable cash calls. It's expensive to do this, and it should be, given how many clubs have failed, historically, even with experienced, moneyed people running the show.

Blah blah blah Bundesliga blah blah blah Fan Council blah blah blah Nashville. If fans can't come up with $5,200 to outbid a crazy man for the intellectual property of the Strikers, we were sure in no danger of fan ownership of an actual club.

Also Kartik is now and has forever been, a loony toon.

19. ArsenalMetro

ArsenalMetro Member+

United States
    Aug 5, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    And forever will be, don't forget.

20. Onionrings

Onionrings Member

Sep 30, 2016
    Long Island
    Club:
    New York City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Anything written by Kartik deserves

[​IMG]

21. Yoshou

Yoshou Fan of the CCL Champ

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I like how he spends the entire article going over how bad of a predicament NASL is in and then states that despite everything else that was/is going on with NASL, the problem was made worse because it didn't embrace pro/rel.. No supporting evidence. just a simple statement and rehash of the comment by Bill Edwards that they were looking to start pro/rel with NPSL...

22. JDogindy

JDogindy Member

Nov 20, 2014
    Club:
    Indy Eleven
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Again, it's just some food for thought. There's always a possibility something stupid can happen.

Plus, Kartik is an idiot, but that's like saying the sky is blue.

23. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Most NPSL teams would be hard-pressed to be subsistence-farming-level professional teams. Their league finalist last year crowdfunds its ongoing operations, for hell's sake.

The NISA (is that what it's called? I have forgotten already.) provides the potential of a viable option for that handful of fairly well-run NPSL teams that are crazy enough to want to lose more money but who weren't really USL or NASL viable. I have no idea who were among the supposed plethora of owners who were just sitting out in the hall waiting for someone to start another D3 league, but if you were putting a league in a microwave (as they are doing, to try to get to market ahead of USL's third division league), you should probably try to draft SOMEBODY who at least has proven they can run a club and draw a crowd and not get beaten 11-1 most times out.

All that said, the idea that the current NASL's woes are largely because it didn't figure out how to follow up on Peterson's batshit-insane attempt to force the issue is frigging stupid and red meat for morons like Ted and the Deacon. It's dumber than the simplistic take that the Cosmos killed the original NASL, or that the week-long 1979 "strike" was a watershed that led directly to its demise.

Zoidberg and jaykoz3 repped this.
  24. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So, without any of us knowing who else is applying for NISA franchises, let's break this down. DCFC will go from only having to leave the state of Michigan to go to Indiana and Wisconsin once each for their handful of road games to a situation where they will, ostensibly, have twice as many road trips, requiring more than vans and involving much more expense, AND having to pay players and a USSF-minimum-standard-meeting front office AND payroll taxes AND workers' comp and they'll have to count on increased attendance at more home games at higher prices to make it all work.

That sounds like optimism bias to me.

25. Elninho

Elninho Member+

Sacramento Republic FC
    United States
    Oct 30, 2000
    Sacramento, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Maybe they were expecting that a rich MLS owner would be relegated into their league, and would be able (and somehow willing) to financially prop up the entire league?

Or they were expecting to be named D1 above MLS and have the best-run MLS teams promoted into their league?

Other than that, I got nothin'.