NASL 2017 News Thread

Discussion in 'NASL' started by Sandon Mibut, Jan 4, 2017.

1. CFLRowdiesFan

CFLRowdiesFan Member

Sep 22, 2016
    I was with you until you said this...

That's simply not true. Riccardo Silva gave Bob Williams an interview in November of last year where he was laying out things the club planned to work on for 2017 and beyond. Hardly the talk of someone who planned to shutter the club. Say what you want about his spending on the Richie Ryans of the world, but you have to say the man who personally got the TV contract with CBS Sports Network and beIN Sports is pretty committed to the cause. And they did draw pretty well at the end of last season, for reasons that we've debated on these boards.

The ONLY way Miami wasn't going to play this season was if the NASL collapsed out from under them.

2. DanGerman

DanGerman Member+

Aug 28, 2014
    New York City
    Club:
    New York City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A TV contract that a league pays smallish sports networks in need of content isn't as impressive as a getting a TV contract we're you generate revenue. So Miami is still a question mark IMO, their attendance was also admittedly padded so again not that impressive. I hope for the best for the NASL but the news of putting a team in ATL is not giving me the warm and fuzzes at the moment.

oknazevad, athletics68 and AndyMead repped this.
  3. Zoidberg

Zoidberg Member+

Jun 23, 2006
    The irony of course is that the more we hear from rebooted NASL (sans Cosmos), the more they sound and act like early MLS.

...and we know what a failure that model has been according to Commisio.

4. DanGerman

DanGerman Member+

Aug 28, 2014
    New York City
    Club:
    New York City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The more I hear from him the more concerned I get as he's obviously the owner for the nostalgia and not any solid reason. I realize he may have the financial wherewithal to sustain big losses for a few season but I'm concerned he'll cut in run after a few seasons after seeing the actual losses first hand.I also think its HILARIOUS that he slags Yankee stadium when his club plays in the mets A teams ball park! :rolleyes:

5. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Except for the fact that there was no soccer team averaging 15k/20k/40k in markets they were looking to put teams.

And the fact that teams are separate and own their player contracts.

And that there's not Salary Budget.

And that there's no centralized and coordinated funnel through which teams acquire talent.

Exactly like early MLS.

6. VBCity72

VBCity72 Member+

Aug 17, 2014
    Sunny San Diego
    Club:
    Plymouth Argyle FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You can't fault the league for trying to get on TV. Unless that contract is detrimental to the league monetarily then its fine. Being on a smallish sports network is better then not being on one at all. I can't recall what network the AHL or Triple A baseball is on because its not. All those games are streamed online but have no TV deal. A good portion of teams pad the attendance stats. Whether its a bunch of different colored seats to make it look like there are people in them or announcing tickets sold instead of actual attendance. I agree with the last statement though.

7. DanGerman

DanGerman Member+

Aug 28, 2014
    New York City
    Club:
    New York City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Oh I don't fault them at all, as a matter of fact I think its a good move on their part. It's just that it isn't a hard move to make since all you need is the cash to make it happen and it doesn't prove any intent or solidity on the league's or teams part as some will have you believe. If Riccardo had somehow swung a PAID TV contract then boy that's a good sign but he didn't so this TV contract isn't that great of an indicator of health.

8. Zoidberg

Zoidberg Member+

Jun 23, 2006
    :D

.....but they have decided to work together, share ideas and support each other. It's a start!:p

9. barroldinho

barroldinho Member+

Man Utd and LA Galaxy
    England
    Aug 13, 2007
    US/UK dual citizen in HB, CA
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I'd be remiss if I didn't point out that "tickets sold" is a common method for reporting attendance. English soccer certainly does it.

It's a bigger issue if they're doing what the Rochester (Raging) Rhinos did at their attendance peak by simply giving away a huge number of tickets. That creates a false impression about the strength if the market. If you sold the ticket, at least you know the purchaser had a somewhat serious intent to attend, even if they ultimately don't turn up.

oknazevad and The One X repped this.
  10. The One X

The One X Member+

Sep 9, 2014
    Indiana
    Club:
    Indy Eleven
    Yeah, tickets sold is the default number that everyone uses when reporting attendance at every level of professional sports. Anyone who says they are reporting actual numbers are either lying, or are going against the norm.

11. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    The default, in pro sports, is tickets distributed. Not sold. That includes sponsor tickets (often giveaways/contests). In European sports it often includes the media - which are usually ticketed.

oknazevad and song219 repped this.
  12. MLSinSTL

MLSinSTL Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Mar 20, 2009
    Ohio - near a city
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  13. Darkwing McQuack

Darkwing McQuack BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 11, 2011
    Morrisville, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So two teams in Edmonton? I don't see that going over well at all.

14. The One X

The One X Member+

Sep 9, 2014
    Indiana
    Club:
    Indy Eleven
    What Halifax document?

15. newtex

newtex Member+

May 25, 2005
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    The One X repped this.
  16. barroldinho

barroldinho Member+

Man Utd and LA Galaxy
    England
    Aug 13, 2007
    US/UK dual citizen in HB, CA
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    The Edmonton Derby is born.

17. ArsenalMetro

ArsenalMetro Member+

United States
    Aug 5, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    And will quickly die, just like it did in Oklahoma City.

18. Strikermansteve

Feb 10, 2012
    Club:
    Ft Lauderdale Strikers
    I'd like to officially thank the NASL website for removing our Strikers (and OKC I guess) from their page... Seems like they finally figured out that having two defunct teams on their site was, shall we say, minor league...good night and good luck.

ManuSooner repped this.
  19. Cirris

Cirris Member+

Feb 25, 2014
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    This CSA CPL thing looks like it's already destined for failure. Even if there are MLS teams in the big 3 markets (Toronto, Montreal, Vancouver) it would at least serve the interests of the league to have CPL clubs in those markets. Even if they're inferior looking in status. It's like having a EPL league with no teams from London, Manchester, Liverpool. It just wouldn't work.

The One X repped this.
  20. Initial B

Initial B Member

Jan 29, 2014
    Club:
    Ottawa Fury
    The CSA really wants the CPL to work. These new teams will get to play against the MLS teams in the Canadian championships, so the fact they're not in this league isn't a complete death sentence. Then again, they probably can't get a good National TV deal because of that, which is probably what is holding up this entire process of league announcement.

21. jaykoz3

jaykoz3 Member+

Dec 25, 2010
    Conshohocken, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    EPL seems to be going along just fine without teams from Birmingham and Leeds............the numbers 2 & 3 most populous cities in England......

22. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    But....Duane Rollins just said it can't fail because something something big crowds for MLS something something Women's World Cup I TOLD YOU SO.

Two teams in OKC was dumb. Two teams in the Tampa Bay Area* was dumb. The prospect of two teams in Atlanta is dumb. But two teams in Edmonton is dumber than the dumbest guys you went to high school with.

*Plant City was, and is, a marginal Tampa Bay Area city.

23. When Saturday Comes

Apr 9, 2012
    Calgary
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Toronto FC for example have been using tickets scanned at entry for a few years now. There's about 5 other pro teams that do the same but yes you are right it's not common.

24. SJJ

SJJ Member

Sep 20, 1999
    Royal Oak, MI, USA
    Club:
    Michigan Bucks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  25. MLSinSTL

MLSinSTL Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States