NASL 2017 News Thread

Discussion in 'NASL' started by Sandon Mibut, Jan 4, 2017.

1. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    NASL activists?

2. The One X

The One X Member+

Sep 9, 2014
    Indiana
    Club:
    Indy Eleven
    Probably talking about people like me who do not actively dislike the NASL.

CFLRowdiesFan repped this.
  3. Yoshou

Yoshou Fan of the CCL Champ

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    NASL, as in the league.

4. DanGerman

DanGerman Member+

Aug 28, 2014
    New York City
    Club:
    New York City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    To be fair the new NASL commissioner has toned down the rhetoric and has said he wants to work with the USSF and other soccer leagues. What has me really worried is this rhetoric from the Cosmos, the owner is definitely overvaluing the brand and I'm concerned when he see's the actual value of it that he'll just pull the plug. He's been none committal about a long term plan for the club and I think he doesn't really have that much skin in the game and could bail easily if he chose to. I hope I'm wrong but the Cosmos and Delta's have me worried.

Zoidberg and Gamecock14 repped this.
  5. athletics68

athletics68 Member+

Dec 12, 2006
    San Diego & San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I some times wonder if the Cosmos brand has more cachet outside the US then it does inside. So much so that people outside the US seem to think the name means something to Americans. Reality is, most people in the US, particularly those under about 45, couldn't tell you much about the Cosmos other than they had big crowds and Pele played for them if even that. It's got very little cachet left. And much of what it had left got used up by the last abortion of an ownership group.

oknazevad, barroldinho, Zoidberg and 3 others repped this.
  6. Darkwing McQuack

Darkwing McQuack BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 11, 2011
    Morrisville, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  7. CFLRowdiesFan

CFLRowdiesFan Member

Sep 22, 2016
    I'm not from the area, but I must be missing something here. Looking at the list of people involved with the Deltas...it's loaded with locals who seem to think they know how to make this work. And it looks like there's some money there too. I get the history of soccer in San Francisco (it's been repeated here ad nauseum) but past failure doesn't necessarily equate to future failure. Miami seems to have it's stuff together after a lot of posters here said they wouldn't last a season.

We also don't know how patient - or committed - this group of people is. What are they expecting for crowds? Is it 3,000 a game? 5,000? Bottom line...if it's ever going to happen in the city, this seems to be the group to do it.

Can we at least let them play a home game or two before kicking dirt on their grave?

8. Dune

Dune Member

Feb 10, 1999
    Maybe NASL would be perfectly fine being a D2 league but they are in desperate need of new teams and investors to survive. NASL's problem is that there is no reason why those who are interested in investing in a D2 franchise would chose NASL over USL. USL has more teams, shorter travel, strong connections with MLS, well all together it is a much more stable league.

So, what is left for NASL? Megalomaniacs whose fantasy end game is to force a merger with MLS, rich foreigners with no clue how the American sports market works, lower level Euro teams who think they have a chance to find a niche in an untapped market.

I can not see a happy future for this league and frankly If NASL should fold after this season I think it would make minor league soccer in US stronger.

oknazevad and athletics68 repped this.
  9. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    I'm pretty sure those don't exist. I'm not entirely sure they ever did (in the NASL)

10. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
  11. Zoidberg

Zoidberg Member+

Jun 23, 2006
    On the basis of that article alone I wish the Cosmos had just died and stayed buried. It would have been better for everyone IMO. The "brand" really attracts the most delusional and downright ....ummm, mentally challenged....from what I see. If one of these idiots could just shut up, be positive/promotional, and try and make it work for the long haul I would be happy.

This guy couldn't even make a propaganda interview even remotely coherent.....when folks want to believe. Ugh.

They better grab a whole new set of fans from this Coney move, because any old ones who are left must be feeling deja vu right now. If they even care.

oknazevad, Egbert Sousé and athletics68 repped this.
  12. Zoidberg

Zoidberg Member+

Jun 23, 2006
    It does. Especially the 50 and older crowd in Europe. NASL did briefly rock the boat over there and they are the ones who remember the impact most. They are also the ones with the most influence and money right now due to their age, and nostalgia and memories always resonate to some degree.

Unfortunately, while they may be willing to reminisce, concoct vapid schemes and theories, and write a few articles here and there about old times, with old greats, they don't put the money or time in here...never have.

They always know better...but do jack and s**t.

There always seems to be someone who bites on the nostalgia and fantasy.

I know PT Barnum didn't say "there is a sucker born every minute", even though he is often credited with it, but I can't help but think that his circus is now defunct, how long until the Cosmos circus is?

Probably when that 50 year old crowd are all sipping meals through straws.

Unless Commisio was grossly, misquoted, slurring or a little tipsy all I keep thinking is...

....this won't end well.

Again.

oknazevad and athletics68 repped this.
  13. ArsenalMetro

ArsenalMetro Member+

United States
    Aug 5, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Re: the Deltas

I'm in San Francisco right now, have been for a couple of days. I've seen about a dozen ads for the Monet exhibit at the Legion of Honor, and I have seen exactly nothing about the Deltas opener this weekend.

14. pletch99

pletch99 Member

Nov 14, 2007
    Winchester, England
    To be fair, I think you'll find the megalomaniacs vision was to build NASL to be a rival to MLS or even eclipse MLS as the top league in the USA. I don't think merger was ever their agenda since the MLS single entity model was unacceptable to them.

Their problem is that number of megalomaniacs with sufficient money to seriously attempt that appears to have been a small number close to zero.

barroldinho repped this.
  15. athletics68

athletics68 Member+

Dec 12, 2006
    San Diego & San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's actually not really loaded with long time locals. It's got some locals, but it's also got a ton of foreign investment, east coast investment and tech bros. Frankly to me the whole outfit reeks of a bad marketing ploy. I mean their reasoning behind the name for example "Delta means change".

Actually Delta means

del·ta1
    ˈdeltə/
    noun
    noun: delta; plural noun: deltas
    1. 1.
      the fourth letter of the Greek alphabet ( Δ, δ ), transliterated as ‘d.’.
      • the fourth in a series of items, categories, etc.
        modifier noun: delta
        "delta hepatitis"
      • Astronomy
        the fourth (usually fourth-brightest) star in a constellation.
        noun: Delta
        "Delta Cephei"
    2. 2.
      a code word representing the letter D, used in radio communication.
    symbol
    symbol: δ; symbol: Δ; symbol: delta
    1. 1.
      Mathematics
      variation of a variable or function.
    2. 2.
      Mathematics
      a finite increment.
    3. 3.
      Astronomy
      declination.
    As for Miami having its stuff together, they barely answered the bell this season. They're not exactly setting the world on fire. And yes past failure doesn't guarantee future failure, but it's a damn good indicator. Especially with such a large sample size as the failed minor league teams in SF are. Particularly when the Deltas are making all the same mistakes all over again.

16. Yoshou

Yoshou Fan of the CCL Champ

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Considering the prevalence of people in the ownership group that are involved in investment, they are probably using the finance definition:

http://financial-dictionary.thefreedictionary.com/Delta

17. barroldinho

barroldinho Member+

Man Utd and LA Galaxy
    England
    Aug 13, 2007
    US/UK dual citizen in HB, CA
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
  18. athletics68

athletics68 Member+

Dec 12, 2006
    San Diego & San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Good catch...

Doesn't really make me feel any better about these guys though. That they'd name their team after ratio of the change in the theoretical value of stock options...

19. newtex

newtex Member+

May 25, 2005
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    In physics, delta, especially the triangle symbol, means a change. You would commonly see it as delta-v for a change in velocity. You could see it as Δy/ Δx which would be the change in Y over the change in X on a grid indicating slope.

Rocket scientists talk about delta-vee all the time in describing launches or maneuvers of spacecraft.

Delta definitely means "change" in those contexts.

oknazevad and kenntomasch repped this.
  20. athletics68

athletics68 Member+

Dec 12, 2006
    San Diego & San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Given most of the investors backgrounds though... I'm betting it's the financial term they based it on.

21. The One X

The One X Member+

Sep 9, 2014
    Indiana
    Club:
    Indy Eleven
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2017/03/23/nasl-aims-take-drama-boardroom-pitch/

A few highlights.

22. athletics68

athletics68 Member+

Dec 12, 2006
    San Diego & San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So Orange County, San Diego, and who is the third?

23. The One X

The One X Member+

Sep 9, 2014
    Indiana
    Club:
    Indy Eleven
    I would assume Atlanta.

24. wkdjstr

wkdjstr Member

Jan 21, 2014
    Club:
    DC United
    I actually thought they named it after the Sacramento-San Joaquin rivers delta, thought it was clever....I guess not.

25. wkdjstr

wkdjstr Member

Jan 21, 2014
    Club:
    DC United
    I live here and I haven't seen anything, plus it supposed to rain this weekend.