NASL 2016 News Thread

Discussion in 'NASL' started by USAsports6, Jan 2, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Given a swift, satisfying resolution to this is unrealistic, which would you rather have? A solution now that may not hold or one that holds but won't be coming this week?

And, again, WHY DO YOU NEED THIS RESOLVED THIS WEEK?

2. MasterShake29

MasterShake29 Member+

Oct 28, 2001
    Jersey City, NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We obviously don't, but USSF deserves some of the blame for setting a time frame only to postpone it twice.

oknazevad repped this.
  3. Cirris

Cirris Member+

Feb 25, 2014
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    #2953 Cirris, Dec 22, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 22, 2016
    I think what we got going on with the argument is whether or not people agree with USSF trying to micromanage the situation by meddling in possible individual team/league disputes. Over the idea that USSF should just make broad sanctioning decisions based on the evidence present to them at a point in time and let the results dictate future proceedings.

Yes, the goal of this might be to see if NASL could be saved. and maybe USSF is possibly trying to facilitate this by giving them even more waivers and keeping them D2 just to try and prop them up. But NASL has never, ever attained true D2 eligibility. They've continued to need waivers every year for their entire existence. Does USSF want to keep giving them more waivers? especially now that they lost almost half their league in one off-season. Is Indy Eleven negotiating a possible USL exit going to change THAT much?

If neither league is going to come close to meeting D2 requirements, why even sanction either league to D2 with a bunch of waivers. Just make both league D3 and tell them to get better and try again. But i guess we sort of know in the back of our minds, if NASL gets D3'd, they'll most likely fold. And USSF probably doesn't want a gap in their sanctioning pyramid.

I get kenntomasch's argument of why there is no need to rush this just for the sake of someone's impatience. But the argument could also be, why does USSF need to micromanage this situation to death? IF down-sanctioning NASL is going to cause immediate collapse, what's the point of propping up such a weak league over the seemingly more stable USL in the first place?

Both arguments that can rightly be made. Are USSF just being diligent by giving everyone time and not being hasty? Or why is USSF being so weak-willed and propping up an obviously failing league?

---------------------------------

For me, I've grown weary of Soccer leagues and their unending hollow timelines. MLS's Miami situation has bothered me a lot. So it's probably spilling over into this USSF drama. I'd kind of like teams, leagues and orgs to be more timely and orderly.

4. OnlyOneTInFootball

Mar 15, 2011
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Only legitimate reason I can think of: the question of "where would Portland play in 2010?" came up during the whole USSF D2 spat. It sucked even having the possibility the Timbers wouldn't play for a year because other organizations had difficulty with the status quo, and that possibility did exist for awhile.

You can only postpone things twice in a lifetime.

Antique repped this.
  5. OnlyOneTInFootball

Mar 15, 2011
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Keep in mind USSF have their own interests. They're not an impartial judge here.

That's the goal. We're getting closer. We're not there yet.

6. Darkwing McQuack

Darkwing McQuack BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 11, 2011
    Morrisville, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not looking good in Strikers land.

7. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Only if you think there's something blameworthy going on.

8. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Right. They're modus is to foster all forms of soccer in this country. It does not help their mission to have teams and/or leagues fold. For professional players to be out of work. For youth clubs to lose funding because their professional team sponsor went belly-up.

The USSF is motivated to salvage as much of the wreckage as possible. That takes time and effort. "Writs from above" like the 2010 USSF-D2 are an absolute last ditch solution.

9. JDogindy

JDogindy Member

Nov 20, 2014
    Club:
    Indy Eleven
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I just want all this to end. Is that a problem? Because it sure as hell sounds like it.

The federation does not want to kill the NASL. I know that. But, you can't keep giving reprieves to a body done in by gross incompetence. The league had bad luck but a good deal of their problems were self afflicted.

And its frustrating for a fan of a NASL team because we're still in limbo.

Jeez... Can't a guy be antsy without being labeled an asshole? They kicked the proverbial can twice already.

Matthew Johnson repped this.
  10. whill4

whill4 Moderator
    Staff Member

AS Roma
    Sep 11, 2011
    Returning Video Tapes
    Club:
    New York City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  11. brentgoulet

brentgoulet Member+

Oct 12, 2005
    PuertoPlata, DomRep
    I have been a Cosmos fan since summer 1980 but is just wrong competely wrong :mad:

Matthew Johnson and Sandon Mibut repped this.
  12. oneeyedfool

oneeyedfool Member+

Nov 17, 2012
    Club:
    New York Cosmos
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The current owners of the Cosmos name do not reflect the culture built by the staff, players and fans. We will get the name back from them eventually.

13. Darkwing McQuack

Darkwing McQuack BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 11, 2011
    Morrisville, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Problem is how long will eventually be?

14. BHTC Mike

BHTC Mike Member+

Apr 12, 2006
    Burlington, ON
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    How do you get back something you never had?

The current owners of the Cosmos ARE THE COSMOS. This is what this project has been since day one.

I've been waiting for the official word that they're done before saying this, but this is getting nauseating:

The staff, players and fans got to have a three and a half year party with other people's money. I'd say the bill has come due, except they're not even the ones paying it.

This is isn't some gritty little start-up that was scrimping and saving, asking everyone to make sacrifices for the cause and delaying getting their fair share while carving out a niche, that got up-ended by a changing market or bad luck. Or where the owners cashed out and never compensated the staff. This is one of those '90s tech-bubble scams that everyone had a blast at for a few years before the money ran out. When you're in a culture like that you have to be willfully blind to not see what's going on. Where did they think the money was coming from to pay for Raul to play in front of three and a half thousand fans?

You can't talk about the three championships they won in four years and not talk about the fact that they did it by spending well beyond what they were capable of generating. Again.

15. oneeyedfool

oneeyedfool Member+

Nov 17, 2012
    Club:
    New York Cosmos
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Cosmos aren't their current owners anymore than the Glazers are Manchester United. These things change over time. The memories created by the players and supporters endure. If Seamus and co decided to go out in a more respectful way to their employees than their legacy as owners would have been better. I'm confident the Cosmos will come back at some point. Cosmos 2.0 will be remembered by Cosmos supporters for Gio Savarese, his staff, the players and the employees who ran the team. The owners threw away their place in that legacy by not giving their employees a softer landing.

16. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Actually, the Glazers are Manchester United. Two completely different situations.

athletics68 and TheJoeGreene repped this.
  17. brentgoulet

brentgoulet Member+

Oct 12, 2005
    PuertoPlata, DomRep
    [​IMG]

Though I can imagine that lots of players and fans are not really that happy :(

Antique repped this.
  18. Macsen

Macsen Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 5, 2007
    Orlando
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Tell that to FCUM.

19. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Why would I bother to do that? The Glazers bought an existing, operating club and continued operations with the same staff and players, continuing on as before.

I don't have to "tell it" to anyone. Facts are what they are. Feelings or wishes aren't particularly relevant.

Plenty of people said that Obama wasn't "their president", and others are starting to say the same about Trump. People can say or feel what they like, it doesn't make it true. If you are an American, Obama is currently your president, and barring some unforeseen event, Trump will be your president in a month.

The current Cosmos have no relation whatsoever to the original Cosmos other than as an IP acquisition.

20. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You mean FC Temper Tantrum?

21. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Exactly. You can find people who deny the earth is round. It's not my job to seek them out and educate them.

Bluesfan, Zoidberg and Macsen repped this.
  22. ArsenalMetro

ArsenalMetro Member+

United States
    Aug 5, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    I was doing research for a paper last week and ran across a forum dedicated to just that - debunking conspiracy theories on the internet. Flat earthers were their primary target.

23. GunnerJacket

GunnerJacket Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 18, 2003
    Gainesville, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Playing devil's advocate:
    Under normal circumstances, yes. However, it could be argued, and perhaps has been argued here, that the particular management of certain teams and leagues is being handled in a manner that is counterproductive to soccer in the US. ie: Very few people would want to see NASL continue under the same MO as the past few years, which by some of us had been seen as reckless, financially unsound and creating public disputes that no one truly enjoyed. So while the USSF may not want to see the death of any club I think there's also no interest in propping up entities that are considered possible disruptions to the pro game, as well.

MLS survived the folding of two teams, and we've endured the death of leagues in the past. Honing a leaner, more sustainable business model may mean short-term sacrifices for longer term gains.

Just saying.

24. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    I don't remember USSF telling MLS to fold two teams. Or USSF ever imposing "one team - one owner" on MLS. Even MLS was given space and time to solidify its business.

The One X and jaykoz3 repped this.
  25. Zoidberg

Zoidberg Member+

Jun 23, 2006
    I personally like the Earth is the center of the universe crew. Everything revolves around us....sun and all.

Antique repped this.