NASL 2016 National & Local TV Deals

Discussion in 'NASL' started by Prosoccercdn, Apr 3, 2016.

1. FootySkeptic

FootySkeptic Member

Sep 24, 2015
    Club:
    Cardiff City FC
    beIN seems to not be as wide spread a channel as many think, its certainly not in every household. Apart from what they have exclusive rights on, it would seem that the NASL-beIN relationship may be mutually beneficial.

2. The One X

The One X Member+

Sep 9, 2014
    Indiana
    Club:
    Indy Eleven
    Oh no not at all. I've been saying this from the beginning. BeIN is only in premium sports packages, often soccer specific packages, so most people just don't get it or even know it exists. I've pretty much only seen Mexican restaurants have it. I mean it has more availability than One World Sports,pretty much everyone carries it, but it is still a niche premium channel.

FootySkeptic repped this.
  3. Burr

Burr Member+

Boca Juniors
    Argentina
    Jul 8, 2014
    Tampa, FL
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thanks! A reference point always helps. :)

4. Sam U El

Sam U El Moderator
    Staff Member

May 31, 2013
    Seoul Korea
    Club:
    New York Cosmos
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think we all need to take a step back and be a bit more realistic in our expectations. In 2002 MLS was contracting and they had been a league for almost 10 years. If the reality is MLS just started to really become a mainstream league in the US in 2004 why would we not expect NASL to take some time to gain traction as well? Especially considering it's place as Division II and existence for only 5 years. NASL is going to have growing pains similar to MLS but I would expect that their growing pains will be on a more condensed timetable because of the conditions set by MLS. I guarantee 5 years from now we'll likely be having a very different conversation regarding NASL viewership and most likely soccer viewership for America at large.

Duke Kickass repped this.
  5. FoxBoro 143

FoxBoro 143 Member+

Jan 18, 2004
    MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The thing is though that it's most likely a time buy anyway. So it's basically an infomercial as far as bein is concerned, except instead of magic puddy, it's a soccer game.

Sam U El repped this.
  6. Sam U El

Sam U El Moderator
    Staff Member

May 31, 2013
    Seoul Korea
    Club:
    New York Cosmos
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Some people think soccer IS magic puddy. :sneaky:

7. Macsen

Macsen Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 5, 2007
    Orlando
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That was a replay of the match the previous Saturday.

8. FootySkeptic

FootySkeptic Member

Sep 24, 2015
    Club:
    Cardiff City FC
    The La Liga game drew 6k viewers, it was a replay, I didn't notice that.

However, the game that drew 7k viewers was the Skybet Championship game and it was indeed live: Hull City vs Wolverhampton. The point of this comparison was to show that the channel doesn't draw all that well because it is a niche channel.

Sam U El repped this.
  9. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    La liga is also in Spanish BeIn, so the ratings are higher there.

Serie A and Championship are in English, so they are a better metric.

10. Darkwing McQuack

Darkwing McQuack BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 11, 2011
    Morrisville, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Week 4
    Tampa vs Carolina: 13k

A lot better this week.

11. Burr

Burr Member+

Boca Juniors
    Argentina
    Jul 8, 2014
    Tampa, FL
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Rowdies are a big draw, obviously. ;)

Duke Kickass repped this.
  12. eb684

eb684 New Member

Jan 29, 2011
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Week 5

Rayo OKC vs Indy: 6k

13. Darkwing McQuack

Nov 11, 2011
    Morrisville, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Jacksonville vs Edmonton apparently only got around 1K veiwers last night on beIN.

14. FootySkeptic

FootySkeptic Member

Sep 24, 2015
    Club:
    Cardiff City FC
    #39 FootySkeptic, May 5, 2016
    Last edited: May 5, 2016
    So that number means they just don't know how many people watched it. Nielsen numbers aren't really that precise below 100k viewers anyway, under 50k and the accuracy is also in question.

Additionally the sources posting these numbers on reddit don't have access to the Canadian viewers on beIN. Are there even Nielsen household in Canada for these ratings? I know that wouldn't change the number to a respectable one, but it would add to it presumably.

15. The One X

The One X Member+

Sep 9, 2014
    Indiana
    Club:
    Indy Eleven
    Is it Neilsen or BeIN who is reporting these numbers? Being a cable channel BeIN knows exactly how many people tuned in.

FootySkeptic and Darkwing McQuack repped this.
  16. Darkwing McQuack

Nov 11, 2011
    Morrisville, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    To my knowledge beIN are the one reporting the numbers. Regardless I can't see this contract lasting past this year if the number continue to be this bad. What I could see is beIN having NASL pay them to put games on their channel after this year.

FootySkeptic repped this.
  17. FootySkeptic

FootySkeptic Member

Sep 24, 2015
    Club:
    Cardiff City FC
    Fair point. I had overlooked that; the twitter link for the 1k viewership number posted on reddit is not from beIN's number charts that I've seen before. Confused some of my wiring.

18. FoxBoro 143

FoxBoro 143 Member+

Jan 18, 2004
    MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's Generally assumed that NASL IS already paying for the time. Bein does not care about the ratings.

19. Sam U El

Sam U El Moderator
    Staff Member

May 31, 2013
    Seoul Korea
    Club:
    New York Cosmos
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Since we are discussing ratings here is an article that gives us all more to think about. It's a different perspective and well worth discussing...

A League of Their Own: the Cosmos, the NASL, and TV deals

Just before the 2016 NASL season, the league announced several landmark broadcasting deals. They snagged four separate national broadcast deals with BeIn Sports and CBS Sports Network joining the existing ESPN3 and ONE World Sports (OWS) deals. Notably absent from these new broadcasts schedules, however, was the league’s flagship team, the New York Cosmos. On this week’s Inverted Triangle podcast, host Neil Morris had a remarkably candid conversation with Cosmos COO Eric Stover that shows the Cosmos seem to be asserting their own economic interests over the league’s.

Morris broaches the subject of TV deals around the 11th minute, asking Stover about the exclusion. Stover responds, “There is some common ownership between the Cosmos and OWS. OWS has invested a lot in the NASL, but the challenge for the league with OWS and the Cosmos is distribution…. OWS has to get its distribution up and part of the vision of the ownership group is… the New York Cosmos, a new stadium, and OWS all need to work together to grow this property and at the same time help grow the NASL.”

Morris pushes back and asks, “Doesn’t it hamstring the league in negotiating TV deals and their terms when you approach potential broadcast partners when the league’s most popular brand located in the #1 TV market in the country isn’t a part of the package?”

Stover: “I think it’s a fair point, but you also have to remember that OWS was the first in the door and has invested a lot and One World wants to protect that investment too.”

http://northernpitch.com/_/minnesot...eir-own-the-cosmos-the-nasl-and-tv-deals-r828

20. FoxBoro 143

FoxBoro 143 Member+

Jan 18, 2004
    MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It makes sense. Had the Cosmos gone to MLS, they would have been forced to be stuck with just ESPN and FOX and their share of the revenue, they wouldn't have been able to control their own destiny like they have.

21. Prosoccercdn

Prosoccercdn Member+

Aug 6, 2011
    Club:
    FC Edmonton
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
  22. Burr

Burr Member+

Boca Juniors
    Argentina
    Jul 8, 2014
    Tampa, FL
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Perhaps beIN just needs to be more picky about what teams they'll air next season, kind of like what NBC does during the regular season with hockey. Less popular teams might only get one or two games on their network, while Pittsburgh and Buffalo get a ton because they always put up ratings. But hard to know what teams draw ratings without trying to them all. I would've expected Jacksonville vs. Edmonton to be pretty bad, though.

The One X repped this.
  23. catfish9

catfish9 Member+

Jul 14, 2011
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not true. MLS teams also have their own TV deals in addition to the leagues ESPN & FOX deals. Several have OTA deals. Others with Time Warner Sports or regional Foxsports and the like.

Burr repped this.
  24. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well if NASL wants Bein to eventually pay, NASL does want Bein to care.

The One X repped this.
  25. FootySkeptic

FootySkeptic Member

Sep 24, 2015
    Club:
    Cardiff City FC
    6000 on beIN for the JAX vs OKC game

BTW I'm still confused about Nielsen numbers and beIN numbers being on the same charts, its rather confusing, hopefully someone could elaborate...