Nashville

Discussion in 'Nashville SC' started by DoyleG, Aug 22, 2003.

1. jhonjonjohn

jhonjonjohn New Member

Oct 5, 2017
    Somewhere in Europe
  2. Titanole

Titanole Member

Nashville SC
    United States
    Feb 15, 2005
    Nashville, TN
    Club:
    Nashville Metros
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  3. Coyote89

Coyote89 Member

Atlanta United
    United States
    May 18, 2017
    Not exactly. Lots of professional sports franchises in the US barely make money and some lose money. It's not a great ROI compared to other investments. Billionaires and ownership groups that buy teams or start expansion franchises often do so for the challenge or prestige of it. There are MUCH easier ways to increase their bottom line and in many cases, they end up losing money.

And that's especially true in MLS. The old saying is...

Q: How do you make a million dollars in soccer?
    A: You start with $10 million​

In fact, right now MLS is losing money as a whole because of the massive debt payments on all these $150-$250 million stadiums and relatively low value to their TV deal (just $90 million per year, shared among 22 clubs).

As a pure financial investment, it really only benefits a few owners (aka investor operators). I strongly suspect that the reason Atlanta now has a MLS team is because the owner, Arthur Blank, knew he was about to spend $1.6 billion on a brand new football stadium and wanted to have guaranteed revenue for more than just 8 NFL games per year. You can only host so many concerts, conventions, bowl games, etc. in a venue of that size. So, MLS made perfect sense. 17 extra days of revenue for a stadium he was going to build anyway. Since the NE Revolution and Patriots have shared a venue dating back to 1996 in Foxboro, I suspect Robert Kraft had similar motivations. But that's the exception, not the rule. Most MLS owners are barely recouping their investment and many are losing money on their clubs.

Meanwhile, although MLS does have a much different ownership structure than other soccer leagues, it does at least have developmental academies which makes it more like soccer clubs in other countries. Best US comparison would be MLB and its minor league system, but even that is very different, because it doesn't go down to the youth level.

4. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Seems like. It's govt agencies are rubber stamping this. Besides pesky lawsuits and anti-public fund lobby, is there anything standing in their way?

edcalvi repped this.
  5. Coyote89

Coyote89 Member

Atlanta United
    United States
    May 18, 2017
    Well, it sure looks like Nashville has their act together compared to other cities. Gotta help their chances.

6. The Franchise

The Franchise Member+

Nov 13, 2014
    Bakersfield, CA
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Pro sports teams are worth about three or four times what they should be as purely economic concerns. Because they're cooler to own than a mall or a construction company or multi-point restaurant franchises. For example, people knew Larry H Miller because he owned the Utah Jazz, not because he had hundreds of car dealerships stretching from Colorado to Washington.

7. Titanole

Titanole Member

Nashville SC
    United States
    Feb 15, 2005
    Nashville, TN
    Club:
    Nashville Metros
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

There is nothing more true than this.

8. FlipsLikeAPancake

Jul 6, 2010
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, they have the major favoring their proposal. But so did San Diego; it was the city council that voted to delay. And St. Louis had political support, it was a public referendum that failed. So while right now the Nashville bid looks strong, it still is predicated on a proposal that hasn't passed yet. I think November 7th is when the decisive vote is.

9. Blong

Blong Member+

Oct 29, 2002
    Midwest, the real one.
    They say they are losing money, yet continue to pour money into stadiums and training facilities. I don't buy it. Between sponsorships, merchandising, ticket sales, international TV rights, Domestic TV rights, etc, the revenue going into SUM, MLS and teams is a lot more than they let on. Plus, very few teams paid $150 MM out of pocket to build. Most took advantage of some kind of financing mechanism to make it viable.

10. The Franchise

The Franchise Member+

Nov 13, 2014
    Bakersfield, CA
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Loss just means spending more than receiving. Spending includes investment, like building new facilities, expanding youth programs, and such. If a business is losing money because it's investing in future growth, that's not a problem. That's mostly the case in MLS. If it's losing money because it cannot currently break even and there is no reasonable path to breaking even, it is bad.

Further, revenue received by SUM is not counted as MLS revenue. Neither is revenue from stadium management or local broadcasting if a team owner has separate corporations for those functions.

When Saturday Comes repped this.
  11. Blong

Blong Member+

Oct 29, 2002
    Midwest, the real one.
    That's what I'm saying. On a whole, MLS owners are profiting, and in most cases, even on top of capital debt. Obviously in cases where the team is paying the stadium out of pocket, like in Minny or Orlando, no.

12. Titanole

Titanole Member

Nashville SC
    United States
    Feb 15, 2005
    Nashville, TN
    Club:
    Nashville Metros
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  13. Coyote89

Coyote89 Member

Atlanta United
    United States
    May 18, 2017
  14. Titanole

Titanole Member

Nashville SC
    United States
    Feb 15, 2005
    Nashville, TN
    Club:
    Nashville Metros
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, I kinda get the same feeling, although this is MLS. Anything can happen.

15. OWN(yewu)ED

OWN(yewu)ED Member+

Club: Venezia F.C.
    May 26, 2006
    chico, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    really hoping theyre the last three, let em all in, screw miami. let them languish in 27-28 territory. nothing in beckhams contract that says they cant do that. There is a realistic chance San Diego has a stadium before miami

16. Len

Len Member+

Club: Dallas Tornado
    Jan 18, 1999
    Everywhere and Nowhere.....I'm the wind, baby.
    There's also a realistic chance I'll build a stadium in my backyard before Miami.

Zoidberg and OWN(yewu)ED repped this.
  17. msilverstein47

msilverstein47 Member+

Jan 11, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    the league has revealed four finalists for the first two expansion spots, which will be announced before the end of the year:  

Cincinnati 
    Detroit 
    Nashville 
    Sacramento 

The finalists will make presentations to the league's Expansion Committee and Commissioner Don Garber on Dec. 6, and the MLS Board of Governors meeting on Dec. 14 will include additional discussions on expansion with ownership representatives from every team.

18. Titanole

Titanole Member

Nashville SC
    United States
    Feb 15, 2005
    Nashville, TN
    Club:
    Nashville Metros
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My money would be on Nashville and Sacramento. Then if that bastard succeeds in moving the Crew to Austin, I think Cincinnati would be a good bet for the next round.

19. Traumer

Traumer Member

Feb 25, 2016
    Cincinnati
    The first part I can see happening, but I don't think our (Cincinnati) fate depends on Columbus. There are three expansion bids I'd deem "elite" so it is a shame there are only two slots.

20. Titanole

Titanole Member

Nashville SC
    United States
    Feb 15, 2005
    Nashville, TN
    Club:
    Nashville Metros
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Perhaps it doesn't. I would love to see MLS in Cincinnati. I was just thinking that if Columbus is vacated it might be a plus to put the league back in Ohio.

21. Titanole

Titanole Member

Nashville SC
    United States
    Feb 15, 2005
    Nashville, TN
    Club:
    Nashville Metros
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  22. IvanIV

IvanIV King of all He purveys

Apr 8, 2006
    TN
    Club:
    Sheffield Wednesday FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  23. msilverstein47

msilverstein47 Member+

Jan 11, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Coyote89 repped this.
  24. OWN(yewu)ED

OWN(yewu)ED Member+

Club: Venezia F.C.
    May 26, 2006
    chico, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    not to blow my own horn buuuuuuut :p

25. Coyote89

Coyote89 Member

Atlanta United
    United States
    May 18, 2017
    Congrats Nashville. Looking forward to the rivalry, and road trips.

Eleven Bravo repped this.