Nashville SC USL Thread

Discussion in 'USL Expansion' started by Blackbox, Jun 29, 2013.

1. thomas19064

thomas19064 Member+

Apr 29, 2008
    Delco
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    NPSL team "moving up"... get ready for all of the Chattanooga, Detroit City and everyone else should move up to NASL/USL suggestions.

2. mikehurst21

mikehurst21 Member

Oklahoma City Energy FC
    United States
    Nov 6, 2013
    Moore Oklahoma
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  3. Titanole

Titanole Member

Nashville SC
    United States
    Feb 15, 2005
    Nashville, TN
    Club:
    Nashville Metros
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    After the earlier agreement to purchase the assets of the NPSL club, this was no surprise. I'm happy with it. Yeah, it's yet another "City Name" FC, but so what? I'll take a simple FC over dopey names like most minor league baseball teams. And it's a kind of continuity. American soccer has had so little of that before teams like Seattle, Portland, Vancouver, Montreal, Orlando and Minnesota got "promoted".

Sometimes it doesn't take genius, just common sense.

chungachanga and panicfc repped this.
  4. Titanole

Titanole Member

Nashville SC
    United States
    Feb 15, 2005
    Nashville, TN
    Club:
    Nashville Metros
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Oh, if any club should be "promoted" it is Chattanooga. If only they had some folks willing to put up lots of money to do so.

panicfc repped this.
  5. Titanole

Titanole Member

Nashville SC
    United States
    Feb 15, 2005
    Nashville, TN
    Club:
    Nashville Metros
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  6. thomas19064

thomas19064 Member+

Apr 29, 2008
    Delco
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    story? link?

7. panicfc

panicfc Member+

Dec 22, 2000
    In my chair, typing
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Email sent to members of NFC. Probably will see more in the coming days.

8. Titanole

Titanole Member

Nashville SC
    United States
    Feb 15, 2005
    Nashville, TN
    Club:
    Nashville Metros
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, I didn't want to come out and quote the email here, although I don't know if there would be anything wrong with that.

This kind of makes the name and logo event at the arena a while ago look a little stupid now.

9. C-Rob

C-Rob Member

May 31, 2000
  10. Titanole

Titanole Member

Nashville SC
    United States
    Feb 15, 2005
    Nashville, TN
    Club:
    Nashville Metros
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So a new crest and a change from Nashville Football Club to Nashville Soccer Club. Seems unnecessary. The crest is fine. Not better or worse. Same colors. Basically they just swapped the fleur de lis for what I assume are supposed to resemble guitar strings. Interesting that they still seem to be trying to piggy-back on the NFC with the 2013 on the crest. If they are not buying the assets of NFC, why use their founding date?

I guess I need to change my avatar now.

11. Titanole

Titanole Member

Nashville SC
    United States
    Feb 15, 2005
    Nashville, TN
    Club:
    Nashville Metros
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    http://www.tennessean.com/story/news/2016/09/09/nashville-usl-pro-soccer-franchise-changes-club-name-logo/90121754/

So there was apparently a trademark issue with a local soccer team with a similar name. Then why was there not the same issue with the NPSL club having that name? Curious.

I don't know why the crest had to be changed if the name was the issue. If this was truly the reason for this, at least they tried to stay as close to the original as possible. I kind of expected a newer crest from the beginning. It was just an odd turn to adopt the existing one first at a big event and then change it later.

12. sawillis

sawillis Member

Apr 24, 2007
    Smyrna, TN
    It comes down to being able to protect their mark...Without intellectual property protections things like merch licensing becomes a problem.

13. Titanole

Titanole Member

Nashville SC
    United States
    Feb 15, 2005
    Nashville, TN
    Club:
    Nashville Metros
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So maybe because of the fact that the NPSL club was non-profit it didn't matter but for the for-profit USL club it does? That could be. That's the only difference I can see. Same name and same crest otherwise. The NPSL club would have to protect their mark too.

There is a Facebook Live thing this afternoon on the Nashville SC page that I probably won't be able to listen to. Hopefully there will be something archived so I can catch up.

14. sawillis

sawillis Member

Apr 24, 2007
    Smyrna, TN
    Well judging by the fact that this entity shares leadership with the last, I suspect it was something they didn't discover 3 years ago....This rebrand would have eventually happened anyway.

15. Titanole

Titanole Member

Nashville SC
    United States
    Feb 15, 2005
    Nashville, TN
    Club:
    Nashville Metros
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes, that's certainly a possibility too.

To be honest I'm not too bothered by these changes. If they had come out earlier this year with this I would have been fine with it then.

16. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Because it's ********ing lazy. And duplicative. And shows absolutely zero creativity. And it's Europosing.

xbhaskarx and Papillon Soo Soo repped this.
  17. Titanole

Titanole Member

Nashville SC
    United States
    Feb 15, 2005
    Nashville, TN
    Club:
    Nashville Metros
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If only they hadn't been "lazy" and thought of something "creative" like all those adjective-noun names we have in American minor league sports like Sand Gnats, Riverhounds, Rock Cats and come up with a cartoony logo. Or maybe something like Burn or Fusion or Rhythm. Screw Europe, that's real American!

Boy, all those FC's and Uniteds and Citys must really bug you no end.

18. msilverstein47

msilverstein47 Member+

Jan 11, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  19. Titanole

Titanole Member

Nashville SC
    United States
    Feb 15, 2005
    Nashville, TN
    Club:
    Nashville Metros
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The downside of playing in the PDL v. NPSL is the divisional setup. In the NPSL almost all of the division clubs were nearby, with the exception of New Orleans. In the PDL they'll have the same problem the Metros had being the only club in the area.

And I really hope NSC will continue to play Chattanooga FC in an annual friendly, even though CFC has always beaten the crap out of them so far.

msilverstein47 repped this.
  20. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    FootySkeptic repped this.
  21. sawillis

sawillis Member

Apr 24, 2007
    Smyrna, TN
  22. Titanole

Titanole Member

Nashville SC
    United States
    Feb 15, 2005
    Nashville, TN
    Club:
    Nashville Metros
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Given the current teetering-on-the-edge status of the NASL, I would imagine that group of potential investors might want to focus more on MLS or somehow join the USL group instead.

Who knows. The USL might be second division by the time NSC takes the field. It's going to be an interesting year coming up.

23. sawillis

sawillis Member

Apr 24, 2007
    Smyrna, TN
    There is no NASL group anymore. They are working toward MLS only right now. USL ownership is involved with the MLS push.

24. msilverstein47

msilverstein47 Member+

Jan 11, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States