Napoli vs Liverpool FC - CL - Oct 3 [R]

Discussion in 'Liverpool' started by el-capitano, Sep 30, 2018.

1. newterp

newterp Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 6, 2007
    North Potomac, MD
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think el-cap hit on this as well

Spurs, PSG, Soton, Chelski, Chelski, Napoli

That's a rough run of games.

Red Bird and dcc134 repped this.
  2. burning247

burning247 Member+

Liverpool FC
    England
    Sep 16, 2000
    Dallas
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    If only we could use the international break as an actual break instead of shipping our top talents off to play more meaningless garbage.

3. zaqualung

zaqualung Member+

Jun 17, 2015
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Liverpool FC

Sometimes to beat tactics you need tempo - which apparently we didn't have. It happens. Absent the late goal, it becomes just a bad draw. I wouldn't worry overmuch. Hopefully naby is only out a couple of weeks.

4. zaqualung

zaqualung Member+

Jun 17, 2015
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    That's the kind of situation where a fit Adam Lallana helps a lot.....

5. zaqualung

zaqualung Member+

Jun 17, 2015
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    And a David Luiz leaden foot on the goalline, and a dashing last ditch clearance by a Chelsea defender.
    So, it wouldn't have pointed to anything except nonsense for the back pages to print.....

Why is everyone soo worked up so early in the season. We are 6-1-0 in the premiership ffs ...
    when did that last happen???

Wingtips1 repped this.
  6. EruditeHobo

EruditeHobo Member+

Mar 29, 2007
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm not worried. Napoli and PSG could easily end up taking points from each other, LFC should/could be clear of both of them in the group by the 5th matchday. Then, whatever happens happens.

Wingtips1 repped this.
  7. Wingtips1

Wingtips1 Member+

May 3, 2004
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    #157 Wingtips1, Oct 4, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 4, 2018
    We could be in a situation where we are a couple points ahead of them when we play them at home and needing only not to lose in order to secure advancing.

**Edit - I didn't realized UEFA changed up the match convention, used to be that the 1st/6th, 2nd/5th, 3rd/4th matches were against the same teams.

8. burning247

burning247 Member+

Liverpool FC
    England
    Sep 16, 2000
    Dallas
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Like I said, not really worried. Just getting spoiled with Klopp and wanted to shut down the critics who said we would fail in this tough stretch.

9. zaqualung

zaqualung Member+

Jun 17, 2015
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Liverpool FC

having Klopp does have spoiling effects....

Christ - imagine if he'd gone to Man Utd and we had Mourihno ..... We'd all be snarling at each other here all day long....
    pheewww....

10. zaqualung

zaqualung Member+

Jun 17, 2015
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    btw/ I just saw some highlights...

the goal seemed to be just down to Gomez being tired and a little switche doff right at the end.

But both Gomes and VVD were left for dead by the guy who hit the post with the half volley. He fizzed into that space like lightning.....

11. zaqualung

zaqualung Member+

Jun 17, 2015
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Liverpool FC

at least Naby won't get hurt! And I think Salah is not playing for Egypt these days, correct?

12. burning247

burning247 Member+

Liverpool FC
    England
    Sep 16, 2000
    Dallas
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Think again...

13. SamScouse

SamScouse Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Toronto
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
  14. blanconi

blanconi Member+

Aug 25, 2008
    You get this kind of game every once in a while. Not too worried about it.

15. Kawklee

Kawklee BigSoccer Supporter

Oct 30, 2008
    Miami
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    when we get a loss like this I cant even go on soccer pages for days.

What a sucker punch.

newterp repped this.
  16. soccerr9

soccerr9 Member+

Jun 6, 2005
    Beyond being a neutral interested in a good CL group, I couldn't careless about Napoli or Liverpool other than entertainment. Literally, both teams could qualify or not and it wouldn't matter one bit to me.

As for what I was simply trying to say, Napoli have a good midfield which could trouble PSG's. Anyone that appreciates the sport can understand why Hamsik and Allan are just really good players in their role while Zelinski is a very promising young CM that is beginning to really produce. It's not fanboyism to say that, when again, couldn't care less about Napoli or Liverpool other than an appreciation of the game.

And yes, regardless of how it happens if Napoli were to win at Anfield, I'd have to give them huge credit. Not many teams can pull that off and I certainly don't expect them to.

17. soccerr9

soccerr9 Member+

Jun 6, 2005
    This group features three good teams with tough home grounds. Deserving losing to Napoli at the San Paolo after a tough run of games can happen. If you think about it PSG were totally outplayed by Liverpool at Anfield and nearly survived with a point until the late Firmino winner. Liverpool were deserved winners at home much like Napoli were.

As for the group dynamic, Napoli are first but made the first real slip up by not beating Red Star after dominating them. It likely means that they must avoid a loss to PSG in Paris on match day three. PSG are much better in France and for them it's a must win which makes it all the more intriguing. Even more so with Ancelotti facing his old side. PSG will have to handle Napoli's pressing game much better than they did vs Liverpool.

For Liverpool, they should easily win all six points off of Red Star.