Name your 23 today

Discussion in 'Italy: National Teams' started by Stamos, Apr 11, 2015.

1. Stamos

Stamos Member

Apr 6, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    #1 Stamos, Apr 11, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 11, 2015
    With all the debates as to who should be selected on the Azzurri, this topic is simple: as of today (and as this thread goes on, changes can obviously be made), who makes your 23? Include explanations if you wish. Only rules are that the 3 goalkeepers are necessary and name your desired formation (s) and playing style. You can choose to ignore injuries or include them in your selections/omissions. Let's see how everyone would build this side.

I'll start:

GK
    Buffon
    Sirigu
    Leali

CB
    Chiellini
    Rugani
    Romagnoli
    Barzagli

FULLBACKS
    Donati (15 games played this season isn't great, but I've always been a fan and think he would do well)
    Antonelli

Darmian
    Murru (it was between him and De Sciglio and even though he hasn't featured regularly for Cagliari, I prefer a left-footed LB on my squad)

MIDFIELD
    Pirlo
    Verratti
    Valdifiori (I like his work defensively and think he brings good energy)
    DeRossi
    Candreva
    Bonaventura
    Marchisio (I realize he's injured, but I'm choosing to disregard injuries)

FORWARDS

Gabbiadini
    Berardi
    Zaza
    Insigne
    Pelle

FORMATION: Either 4-4-2 with Pirlo starting or a slight variation as a 4-2-4 with Verratti or DeRossi in place of Pirlo. I'd get the players comfortable in a 4-3-3 as well in case either Bonaventura or Candreva get injured. Structure and shape are important but the key is positive movement(as opposed to lateral, ball possession)

Rosay repped this.
  2. Sal

Sal Red Card

Feb 9, 2013
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Manager: @Rosay

Starting XI (433):
    Pasquato------Lucas Anthony------Rosina
    ------------Croce-----------Marchionni------
    ---------------------Rigoni---------------------
    Gobbi--------Bovo-------Dainelli------Padowin
    ----------------------Pegolo--------------------

Subs:
    Frison (GK)
    Lupatelli (GK)
    Agostini (LB)
    Bellini (RB)
    Raggi (CB)
    Pinzi (CDM)
    Cossu (CAM)
    Guarente (CM)
    Fabbrini (LW)
    Siligardi (RW)
    Maccarone (ST)
    Little French Guy (Superstar)

Deleted User x, indestructible and Rosay repped this.
  3. Nek Sanalet

Nek Sanalet Member+

AC Milan
    Italy
    Dec 30, 2013
    NYC
    Club:
    AC Milan
    #3 Nek Sanalet, Apr 11, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 11, 2015
    Assuming Conte sticks with 3 5 2 since he seems reluctant to try anything else….

G: Buffon. Sirigu. Perin.
    D: Chiellini. Bonucci. Rugani. Ranocchia. Romagnoli.
    M: Darmian. De Sciglio. Antonelli. Verratti. Candreva. Marchisio. Bonaventura. Valdifiori. Parolo. Soriano.
    F: Berardi. Gabbiadini. Vasquez. Pelle. Zaza.

Standby's: Barzagli, Criscito, Bertolacci, Insigne, Bellotti.

I think its time to cut Pirlo and De Rossi loose IMO. I can't imagine the regression that will occur by the time the Euro's roll around. And lets be honest, everything Conte does should be with an eye towards that tournament.

I'm also leaving either one of Ranocchia or Barzagli behind for the two youngsters in defense. None of the stalwarts from this generation have proved to be Nesta/Cannavaro great. Hopefully those two players can attain the Italian defensive greatness of yesteryear by 2016.

I need to see more of Insigne before I pick him…but any excuse to cut both Pelle and Zaza is welcoming. Bellotti is another guy on standby if he gets more playing time next year.

Stamos repped this.
  4. Stamos

Stamos Member

Apr 6, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Pretty good list. Its sad that without Pirlo and De Rossi, our midfield lacks that class and star power...hopefully it's not a trend thanks to the decline of Serie A.

And agreed with Insigne - we all know I'm a huge fan, but he's got something to prove even to me, coming back from injury. I like him in a supporting forward - second striker role as opposed to out wide left.

Our LB situation isn't looking pretty either...

5. Sal

Sal Red Card

Feb 9, 2013
    Club:
    AS Roma
    @Calcio Pauly @Falc what do you guys think of this team? Surely it can compete with the best of the best. What would your 23 man squads look like?

6. Calcio Pauly

Calcio Pauly Member+

Jun 17, 2012
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Its missing a world class midfielder like Montolivo

Rosay and La Magica repped this.
  7. johnny6

johnny6 Member+

AC Milan
    Italy
    Jun 29, 2011
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    I could probably name 2 or 3, Italy doesn't have more than 20 talented players...well maybe they do but they ride the bench 99% of the time due to foreign favoritism so i guess we'll never find out.

8. Parcae

Parcae Member

Nov 3, 2013
    4-3-3:

Keeper: Buffon. Need a veteran to organize a young defense. Backups: Sirigu, Perin.
    LB: Darmian - he did really well in this role against England. Backup: Santon or Antonelli.
    CBs: Romagnoli and Rugani. Largo ai giovanni! Backups: Chiellini, Bonucci, Barzagli.
    RW: De Silvestri I think is overdue for a callup. Backup: De Sciglio.
    Regista: Marchisio - he has done extremely well in that role for Juventus. Backup: Valdifiori.
    CMs: Verratti, Bonaventura. Backups: Soriano, Bertolacci.
    LW: Gabbiadini. Backup: Bonaventura (move him up and start Soriano as a CM).
    False 9: Berardi. Backup: Osvaldo - probably the most controversial choice on this list, but he has been tearing up the Argentinian league, and we are desperately short on target men unless Pelle gets back into form or Zaza or Immobile improve dramatically.
    RW: Candreva or Vazquez depending on form.

9. Rosay

Rosay Member+

May 7, 2014
    Club:
    AC Milan
    He's been tearing up the Argentine league? Proof?

10. Parcae

Parcae Member

Nov 3, 2013
    I looked for the article that said that and I couldn't find it, so I may be wrong. I haven't been watching him there.

11. sempreITALIA

sempreITALIA Member

Feb 9, 2012
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    #11 sempreITALIA, May 11, 2015
    Last edited: May 11, 2015
    Team Today for Conte's 3-5-2

First off, I see all of these ridiculous combinations of players in odd positions and quite frankly retarded formations with inadequate players. More often than not most of you are joking, but sadly some of you are serious which worries me as you represent the fan base for Italian football. As the know all of Italian football, I don't want to be associated with an idiotic fan base so take a few notes here as these are the best players to represent il bel paese at the moment. Also, please feel free to consult me with your opinions on my fix for the Italian side, however beware that it doesn't mean I will take any of your thoughts into consideration considering the extremely low footballing IQ I continue to witness in this thread.

Goalkeepers

Buffon
    Sirigu
    Perin

Defenders

Chiellini
    Bonucci
    Ranocchia
    Barzagli
    Rugani

Midfielders

Marchisio
    Pirlo
    De Rossi
    Soriano
    Bertolacci
    Verratti
    Candreva
    Florenzi
    Darmian
    Poli/ Bonaventura/ Jorginho (One of these three)

Forwards

Gabbiadini
    Insigne
    Immobile
    Vazquez
    Pelle/ Balotelli (One of these two)

STARTING 11:

Buffon

Barzagli -- Bonucci -- Chiellini

Marchisio
    Florenzi -- Soriano ------------- Verratti/ Bertolacci -- Darmian

Gabbiadini

Immobile/ Pelle or Balotelli (Whoever is selected in the team)

12. Nek Sanalet

Nek Sanalet Member+

AC Milan
    Italy
    Dec 30, 2013
    NYC
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Anyone who thinks Balotelli should make the national team has a lower IQ then anything else witnessed in this thread lol. And why would you play Darmian on the left when he plays on the right for Torino? Not only that but you put Florenzi on the right and leave off Candreva in this subpar formation?!?!?!? Do you think that Conte would ever play Florenzi on the right over the better options of Darmian and Candreva (he's much smarter than that, thank god…especially since Candreva hasn't done well centrally). Not sure what your smoking, but I want some. And Immobile is in the same boat as Super Mario... the guy is basically rotting on the bench with little playing time. At least Pelle and Zaza see the pitch every week. Unfortunately there is no Italian CF kicking ass this year, but 2 of your 3 options absolutely stink.

I do like your placement of Gabbiadini as a center support striker/attacking midfielder. Every time Benitez puts him there he performs well with Higuain. I find it inconceivable to leave out Berardi from this point forward. He willed Sassuolo to victory yesterday with his two assists. He's had a great year on a shitty team. Imagine him with a good midfield. Its time to promote him to the senior team pronto.

I was wrong about Barzagli. He's been great since coming back, but De Rossi is a wasted spot. He's finished and badly out of form. Try harder…I give you a C.

Deleted User x repped this.
  13. sempreITALIA

sempreITALIA Member

Feb 9, 2012
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy

Have you seen Florenzi in the last few weeks on the RW for Garcia at Roma? The guy never stops running and scores spectacular goals. Candreva is great, but inconsistent at international level. As for Darmian he is versatile enough to play on either flank. He's done it at both club and international level before so I don't see why it's an issue for you.

I would take Valdifiori instead of De Rossi, but De Rossi has so much experience for a match against Croatia coming up.

As far as forwards go please name a more talented striker Italy has right now than Balotelli. Even if he doesnt play much at Liverpool he is naturally more gifted and more of a threat than any of the available front men. Gabbiadini is awesome and I think him a Balotelli make for a big, strong, technical pair up top. Zaza has eight goals this year. Hardly something to brag about.

Parcae repped this.
  14. Nek Sanalet

Nek Sanalet Member+

AC Milan
    Italy
    Dec 30, 2013
    NYC
    Club:
    AC Milan

Have you seen Candreva in the last few weeks for Lazio? He also never stops running and scores goals. And Florenzi has never impressed for the national team either, and has had fewer caps. If you want an experienced player against Croatia, why then select Florenzi? Candreva also gets played out of position often. That is why he has struggled at times at CM. Darmian is better on the right, and is the best option there. Maybe if Candreva is selected on the right, Darmian might make more sense on the left. I still would have my doubts though. Florenzi should make the bench, but not the starting XI.

Yes, I would select Valdifiori over De Rossi. De Rossi is now talking about going to MLS. I think he realizes his best days are over. Time to move on.

I don't believe in picking out of form players for the national team. Both Immobile and Balotelli have had horrible seasons. And Balo isn't as talented as you seem to think (besides also being massively unprofessional). Gabbiadini and Berardi have more talent. True that neither are pure CF's, but I think they could play well together in a front two if given the chance. And if Conte were reluctant to do that, then he should play one of either Zaza or Pelle with Gabbs (who are at least seeing the pitch every week).

15. Parcae

Parcae Member

Nov 3, 2013
    I agree with Nek about Balo and Sempre about Florenzi. Darmian (unlike, say, DSG) has shown himself able to play on either flank well. Florenzi has been carrying Roma as a terzino. Candreva is excellent, but not a replacement for either because he is a winger and Conte's formation calls for the person in that position to be an RB.

As for Balotelli....no. Just no. I admit that we have no quality, in-form forwards, but .... no. I would rather see a false 9 formation as we have plenty of potential trequartistas.

Buffon
    Florenzi Bonucci Rugani Darmian
    Verratti Marchisio Soriano
    Candreva/Berardi Vazquez Gabbiadini

16. Rosay

Rosay Member+

May 7, 2014
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Candreva, Florenzi have both been great so far. Bertolacci has been playing well, same as Sturaro. Would like to see a midfield of Pirlo, Sturaro, and Soriano with Darmian and Florenzi as the Wing backs

17. Rosay

Rosay Member+

May 7, 2014
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Maybe put Bertolacci in for either Sturaro or Soriano or even Pirlo. Marchisio can also slot in at any of these positions in the midfield 3

18. Sal

Sal Red Card

Feb 9, 2013
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Darmian usually (75% of the time) plays on the left of Torino's 352, while Bruno Peres plays on the right.

19. Nek Sanalet

Nek Sanalet Member+

AC Milan
    Italy
    Dec 30, 2013
    NYC
    Club:
    AC Milan
    I don't think 75% is even remotely accurate. The only games I can remember him playing on the left were against Juventus, Roma, and Napoli. He played on the right for both Europa league matches against Zenit and both against Bibao. I think he might have played on the left a total of 6-7 games all year. He's better on the right, and I rather have him there than Florenzi.

20. Sal

Sal Red Card

Feb 9, 2013
    Club:
    AS Roma
    You are right, it was an estimation. Whoscored says its about 50/50. 18 times on the left, 17 on the right. http://www.whoscored.com/Players/23220/Show/Matteo-Darmian

totti fan repped this.
  21. Rosay

Rosay Member+

May 7, 2014
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Welcome back Sal!

Sal repped this.
  22. whill4

whill4 Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 11, 2011
    Returning Video Tapes
    Club:
    New York City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #22 whill4, May 13, 2015
    Last edited: May 13, 2015
    FW: Immobile, Zaza, Vazquez, Gabbiadini, Pelle
    MF: Verratti, Marchisio, De Rossi, Valdifiori, Sturaro, Parolo, Candreva, Darmian, Florenzi, Antonelli
    CB: Chiellini, Bonucci, Barzagli, Astori, Ranocchia
    GK: Buffon, Sirigu, Perin

Pretty weak squad overall imo. I'd take Immobile just because he's been apart of Conte's set up since day one. The others barely have any experience with the national team. I'd also consider dropping DDR back as a CB since Barzagli is ancient at this point, and Astori and Ranocchia just aren't good enough to win anything.

23. krado33

krado33 Member+

May 23, 2014
    Club:
    AS Roma
    The squad isn't so bad... it's more what Conte lines up that worries me. I hope he's learnt something from Juve's performance that he shouldn't be so ultra-conservative.

What I'd like to see...

Buffon
    Bonucci - DDR - Chiellini
    Florenzi - Marchisio - Valdifiori - Verratti - Darmian
    Immobile - Zaza/Gabbiadini​

24. St. Michael's Sword

Mar 7, 2014
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    FW: Toni, Di Natale, Totti, Cassano, Rossi, San Miccoli, Gilardino
    MF: Verratti, Marchisio, De Rossi, Pirlo, Nocerino, Zaccardo, Conti (Bruno not Daniele)
    CB: Lucarelli, Chiellini, Bonucci, Barzagli, Ogbonna, Ranocchia,
    GK: Buffon, Storari, Amelia

25. totti fan

totti fan Red Card

Jun 24, 2010
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy