News: Nah, I think I'll stay on - The Other Teams Thread [R]

Discussion in 'Manchester United' started by Ruud v.Nistelrooy 10, Feb 20, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Riding off into the sunset
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #101 Ashur, Mar 2, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 2, 2019
    A draw in this game, coupled with a win from us later will accomplish the same effect, if we're being honest, with us back in 4th and Spurs just 3pts away as well.

Over an hour in and it's still been way too easy for Arsenal today. Really looks like Kane has come back too early: Spurs are toothless in attack, Son in particular has been all but muted completely since Kane's return.

J'can repped this.
  2. johno

johno Member+

Jul 15, 2003
    in the wind
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    I want a draw or Spurs win if I'm honest. I'd love to push for 3rd, but that shit is cosmetic. I want CL football and for that we just need 4th. I'm ok with the easiest path to that.

Amdrag repped this.
  3. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Pk Spurs: Kane makes it 1-1. This is the result we want: another reason for not wanting an Arsenal win today is that I don't want them going into next week's game against us with their confidence at all time. Which would be the case with a huge away win at the NLD.

4. Sofabloke

Sofabloke Member+

Dec 24, 2003
    Mu
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Arsenal continue their record of no away clean sheet since AW :)

5. Ruud v.Nistelrooy 10

Staff Member

Jamaica
    Jun 4, 2006
    Antilla
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Jamaica
    they are already in the argument

6. Red Jeph

Red Jeph Member+

Aug 26, 2006
    Chicago
    Normally I’d agree but Arsenal have such an easy run in I’d rather have two shots.

jnielsen and johno repped this.
  7. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's a soft Pk for Arsenal... Auba misses!!! So huge for us. The follow up block from Vertonghen on the follow up was superb as well.

8. MizzouMUFC

MizzouMUFC Member+

Apr 10, 2010
    Places
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Much rather have Spurs win. Get us back into 4th this weekend since Arsenal have a layup run in.

9. Sofabloke

Sofabloke Member+

Dec 24, 2003
    Mu
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Poor pen Auba, great tackle Vertonghen to stop the follow up.

Straight red for Torreira which is good news for us.

Fin 1-1.

10. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    On the face of it, 3rd or 4th hardly makes any difference anymore (particularly with the 4th placed team no longer having to contend with the CL playoff round).
    That being said, if United could somehow snatch 3rd spot after the start of the season they had, it could be pretty massive for their morale and confidence going into next season.
    With a squad presumably weaker than Pool and City's, plus having spotted a half season head start to all our rivals, finishing 3rd would be a significant achievement for Ole alone.

11. Naboomagnoli

Naboomagnoli Member+

May 31, 2007
    I want 3rd just to piss on Mou from a greater height when we say "look what we managed without Harry ********ing Maguire"...

12. benni...

benni... BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 23, 2004
    Chocolate City
    Is Torreira suspended for our game?

13. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Straight red, so he'll be out for Arsenal's next 3 games.

14. Ruud v.Nistelrooy 10

Staff Member

Jamaica
    Jun 4, 2006
    Antilla
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Jamaica
    Dortmund really pissed away that 9 point lead.

a shame as they need to win for the good of the league

jnielsen, benni... and Deadtigers repped this.
  15. Pulp

Pulp Member+

Feb 13, 2013
    TO / CA
    We just have to beat Arsenal on Sunday. Do that and we are looking good.

16. MizzouMUFC

MizzouMUFC Member+

Apr 10, 2010
    Places
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Agreed. That game will make or break the top 4 race.

17. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hoping for the win next week, but a draw would suit us just fine. It's possible that Arsenal may choke again, but they're showing good form at the moment and defending pretty well (which has been their weak point all season).
    Couple that with the fact that we're still missing important players in all likelihood and it promises to be a scrap.

18. JamesA

JamesA Member+

Dec 7, 2004
    Victoria
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Arsenal have a fairly easy run in after our game. That worries me.

19. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The counter to that is Spurs's appears to be murder (with trips to City and Pool among others) and they're not looking too good at the moment. As crazy as it sounds, it's not too hard to imagine United and Arsenal winning the final 2 CL spots with Spurs and Chelsea on the outside looking in.
    European competitions could be a factor as well: we'll probably be out this week so we don't have to worry about that anymore, but for the teams in the EL especially, it could be a hindrance the deeper they go in that competition as well.
    I like our position atm: it looks like we've weathered the storm in regards to our recent injury crisis and with important players coming back, we should go from strength to strength. The determination we're showing is something we haven't seen since the SAF days. And that will serve us in good stead the rest of the way. Good thing that Tottenham have been reeled in though as we have now 4 teams fighting for 2 spots, as opposed to 3 for 1 as it was prior to this week.

20. johno

johno Member+

Jul 15, 2003
    in the wind
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    The more I look at it, the more I think a 3rd place finish is out of reach. We've got a really tough run in, that's without making the FA Cup final and advancing in the CL.

Obviously having Rom hit stride is helpful, but even if we had a fully fit team all firing, the squad still has its flaws. The chance of slipping up is still real. We don't even have a fit squad. We are starting McTominay at the base of midfield and we don't have a fully fit Rashford and Martial and Herrera, probably our 2nd and 3rd most important players after Pogba aren't even back yet.

I'd love it if we could finish 3rd, but I'm under no illusions. At some point, we're going to drop points to someone we should beat, or get beat by a better team.

21. Sofabloke

Sofabloke Member+

Dec 24, 2003
    Mu
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    The Arsenal game away next weekend is massive, would adjust game time vs PSG for some players accordingly - given that CL is likely gone as we probably dont have the necessaty players atm to give it what it would need.

April 21 we have 3 games in 8 days; Everton (A), City (H), Chelsea (H).

Will definitely need some players back to cope with that.

Beeb have a good summary of fixtures for top4 & title race here;

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/47426188

22. United 16

United 16 Member+

Manchester United
    Mar 25, 2016
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    LA. MAN UNITED repped this.
  23. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ndidi was excellent again in a losing effort for Leicester today. Can only hope that it's someone the club is/will be looking at, if they are intent in bringing in a midfielder this summer.
    At just 22, the guy has likely barely started tapping into his potential and he could become a really big deal in years to come. Making a move for him now would be pretty smart.

24. Sofabloke

Sofabloke Member+

Dec 24, 2003
    Mu
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Leicester concede an injury time winner.

Used to quite like Leicester, but now Brendan Rodgers is there then found I was quite happy. Once a dipper always a dipper in my mind I guess :)

25. Sofabloke

Sofabloke Member+

Dec 24, 2003
    Mu
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Chesea lucky to get the win. Some poor finishing / good saves by Kepa and a marginal offside call against Sessegnon in injury time made the difference.