The Odyssey continues: Erik Palmer-Brown at Panathinaikos

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by BostonRed, Jan 24, 2014.

1. There are people who think going to the Netherlands as a defender, especially when you impressed in an international Youth national team tournement, means you're on a fast track into first team play. Mostly because the mantra is that (Dutch) defenders in the Eredivisie suck. The reality however is that defensive talents are overflowing in the Netherlands (something I mentioned in the early rumour stages of EPB being signed by ManCity) and getting in a good team as a defender isnot an easy task.
    This kid is just one of the many examples that emerge in flocks out of the Dutch academies.
    The ManCity kid a few posts earlier was bought from a Dutch low flyer. The moment he was gone a 16 year old talent took his vacant spot.
    I think the post is relevant in making visible what EPB is dealing with, not an easy track but one in a league brimming with young defensive talents.

uniteo and TheFalseNine repped this.
  2. comoesa

comoesa Member+

Aug 13, 2010
    Christen Press's armpit
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    EPB is super talented, so I'm not worried yet. But I think he may be better as a DM. To me, he had his best performance there at the u20 WC.

LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  3. ttrevett

ttrevett Member+

Apr 2, 2002
    Atlanta, GA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Let's see:

Ki-jana was clearly named after the best Penn State running back ever, Kijana Carter, who was cruelly cut down in his prime by ill timed knee injuries. The only hope EPB has of making the Man City roster is if the entire back line and most of the defensive midfielders go down to season ending knee injuries?

TheFalseNine repped this.
  4. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    Overall, how's his performances been so far in the NL?

5. Sup Bro

Sup Bro Member+

Oct 26, 2012
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I feel like I’ve been waiting for his obvious talent to shine through at the club level for 4 years now.

He’s earned his reputation in every YNT game I’ve seen, but hasn’t translated to his club team yet.

6. I'm convinced he made the worst decision possible when PSV wanted him in the winter window, but chose ManCity.

7. uniteo

uniteo Member+

Sep 2, 2000
    Rockville, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Since he was 17?

8. eliwood

eliwood Member+

Jul 25, 2016
    That is when Juventus made a bid on him to be fair

The Irish Rover repped this.
  9. frankburgers

frankburgers Member+

May 31, 2016
    meh tbf,

Porto had the chance to sign him and they passed.

10. chad

chad Member+

Jun 24, 1999
    Manhattan Beach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Porto didn't have the funds. But nice try, troll.

11. matabala

matabala Member+

Sep 25, 2002
    If they rated him highly enough, they would have found the funds.

Let's be clear, EPB was a highly-touted American youth player. He's discovering the sledding is more competitive in the larger world of international talent.

12. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    EPB was with Porto B all 2016. In May they bought the Mexican Layun for €6m and in July they bought the Brazilian Telles for €6.5m. So that they didn't have the money for EPB was bunk.

13. I wonder what EPB is going to do.
    I recommend sitting around the table with his agent and someone that can be trusted and with good insights in the workings of pro soccer in Europe to evaluate the situation now and the repercussions for the remaining time during his contract with CFG.

Plus youth soccer is a different beast from playing with grown ups.
    The Dutch youth players in the top clubs of the Eredivisie play against that kind of opposition in the second tier and get toughend that way, as they play against people that are on the pitch to win at all costs and are physically matured.
    Feyenoord for some reason didnot join that competition and we feel it's consequences as the PSV, AZ, Ajax youth are far better capable to fill in the first team positions when the need is there.

14. Jazzy Altidore

Jazzy Altidore Member+

Sep 2, 2009
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He's always dominated against teenagers. But his physical advantage is diminished against full-grown men. Hence his struggles.

15. comoesa

comoesa Member+

Aug 13, 2010
    Christen Press's armpit
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not true of EPB or Wright.

16. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    I'd agree with the whole "choosing City over PSV". But hard to turn down seven figures when I'm sure he was on peanuts at SKC and Porto's reserve squad.

17. What makes you think/know it's a 7 figure sum a year?

18. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    or 6 figures

19. Jazzy Altidore

Jazzy Altidore Member+

Sep 2, 2009
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I disagree on EPB.

Wright remains to be seen.

20. Jazzy Altidore

Jazzy Altidore Member+

Sep 2, 2009
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There's a tremendous difference between the two. One is average joe; the other is big-time balling.

21. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    i wouldn't say so. 1 million vs 890000 isn't a tremendous difference. Perhaps for tax purposes maybe

22. The Irish Rover

The Irish Rover Member+

Aug 1, 2010
    Dublin
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    The money he was going for at the time ($1 million IIRC) was "oh yeah, there's $95 in the envelope in the drawer" for a club like Porto. Sign EPB on a 4 year deal and that equates to $250k a year. Portugese sides buy to sell on, so they saw no upside in EPB after several months of having him at the club, which is a concern

23. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Tom Collingsworth, Winoman and ChuckMe92 repped this.
  24. chad

chad Member+

Jun 24, 1999
    Manhattan Beach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Lol. Ok. Look up Porto and finances and FairPlay and then get back to me.

25. Erik absent at the winter training camp due to sad family circumstances.
    I hope he comes through these difficult days stronger. My best wishes to him and his family.

neems, TxEx, Tom Collingsworth and 7 others repped this.