My thoughts on Wondo

Discussion in 'USA Men' started by Sparks27, Jul 1, 2014.

1. BTFOOM

BTFOOM Member+

Apr 5, 2004
    MD, USA
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    OK, to the OP, here is my opinion of Wondo. Not more important than any other, just my opinion.

First, he was never good enough to be considered for this team. He only scores goals against the minnows and has measurably been very average to poor against even decent ConCaCaf teams (CR, Jamaica, Honduras, El Salvador, etc). That just isn't going to cut it at the WC level, period.

Mix that with the fact that Aron Jóhannsson is another great poacher, who's skill set is superior to Wondo in every way. Klinsi should have brought in another strong, fast striker (Boyd, EJ, etc) in case Altidore went down. Instead, he brought in 2 players who play little like JA, but are very close to each other.

Lastly, besides the obvious sitter that I believe AJ scores almost every time, Wondo just looked out of place during the game as he doesn't have the kind of soccer savvy or understanding of the current game as AJ. Wondo consistently made simplistic runs to the wrong place and never really looked comfortable out there.

Bottom line is that strikers are defined by their goal scoring prowess, period. They can have 'bad' games for 88 minutes, but score in the 90th and win the game for their team. That is the way the position works. Sadly, he didn't score the one PRIME chance he got. Not surprised, as he has missed plenty of these chances. Unfortunately, when the US plays Barbados, there are many of these types of chances and he eventually puts them away. Against a good team, you may get one of these chances - you need to put them away at this level. If not, your team goes home, simple as that.

00Kevin repped this.
  2. roadkit

roadkit Greetings from the Fringe of Obscurity

Jul 2, 2003
    Fornax Cluster
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Let's see. Most widely available foreign league on TV? Over reliance on Brit announcers? What could it be?

I think it's because they have cuss words that Americans don't consider to be profanity.

3. el americano

el americano Moderator
    Staff Member

United States
    Jun 9, 2006
    San Francisco
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    To be fair, a team motto is obligatory. I have to say, "Howay the Lads" before an NUFC match.

[​IMG]

I won't say I'm gutted after a loss, however. I'll just say I'm devastated, head off to the pub, and Bob's your uncle. ;)

jreadusaf repped this.
  4. FormerGermanGuy

Mar 1, 2001
    Indianapolis
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Reminds me of how Wolff was... kept finding the right spot, but needed chance after chance to convert.

5. Ties5o11

Ties5o11 Member

Aug 11, 2011
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Honestly I think it's because most of the commentators on ESPN are English, as well as in FIFA the video game. If you don't think the latter is relevant, my friends and I used to run around screaming English soccerisms such as "HE'S DONE WELL THERE", and "SURELY ITS FOR THE TAKING" in English accents when we were hammered for all sorts of situations. For example, a friend would be talking to a girl out of his league and we would joke "AMBITIOUS EFFORT"- out of earshot, of course.

Also, soccer has certain terms and mannerisms that just fit the sport so perfectly.

Much respect to the OP. Woulda loved to see Wondo get that, but with the keeper coming out, its not an easy finish. I saw a lot of players scrub easy finishes, or knock them straight into the keeper in similar situations.

Gilmoy and 00Kevin repped this.
  6. sidefootsitter

sidefootsitter Member+

Oct 14, 2004
    It's the hair gel.

I heard a lot of Americans use a ton of Englishisms when it comes to everything. For example, a sentence like, "I am a little boy. I have a mommy and a daddy" uses all English words. Go figure, huh?

7. Ties5o11

Ties5o11 Member

Aug 11, 2011
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Fitting name for this thread...

8. smokarz

smokarz Member+

Aug 9, 2006
    Hartford, CT
    Wondo didn't loose the game for us. I think we lost that game from minute 1.

It was however, a horribly missed opportunity. IF he made that shot, we're in the quarter finals.

Shit like that happens all the time. There are many great players that completely missed sitters.

I am sure the guy feel terrible right now, and probably for as long as he live. What IF? That's the question he'll be asking for a long ass time.

9. Yankee_Devil

Yankee_Devil Member

Nov 13, 2005
    San Diego, CA
    Same here. Look its not like we are going to hang it around his neck and tar and feather the guy but you got to man up accept responsibility which he has and move on.

Ties5o11 repped this.
  10. Kendetta

Kendetta Member

Jun 26, 2014
    WA State
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Naah, he watched way too many Torres videos on YouTube.

11. CarlosE

CarlosE Member

Dec 13, 2000
    Calvert County, MD
    As I stated in another thread, JK set up Wondo to fail by putting him on the roster of 23. Wondoloski is a great MLS player but, like many former MLS players who could not transfer that success to the highest international stage, neither could Wondo.

It's sad, but even a simple one-touch pass to Deuce would have probably yielded different results.

I agree that we were outplayed and didn't deserve to advance, but that one moment, with about 1 minute left in regulation, would have put us through and I would have gladly accepted the chance to play Messi & Co. That is the type of chance that has to be converted at this level of play. Period.

[​IMG]

12. Schapes

Schapes Member

Aug 20, 2001
    That is what I thought.

13. CarlosE

CarlosE Member

Dec 13, 2000
    Calvert County, MD
    Posted on a different thread, but relevant to this one as well . . .

time.
    [​IMG]

14. Ties5o11

Ties5o11 Member

Aug 11, 2011
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    From that angle the Keeper looks like he was taking a lot away. I think he has to put that on frame, but most of hte time the keep gets enough on it.

15. Blustar

Blustar Member

May 30, 2006
    Club:
    Miami FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    letting the ball bounce was lethal, and messed up his contact. Too bad, feel bad for him and our country. Would've been a glorious goal.

The pass to Dempsey seems pretty simple to me, he was just too stunned to do anything it seems and waited till the keeper had almost closed him out.

He also could've attacked with his head into the far post, another good chance to take in my opinion. The worst chance was to wait as long as he did for the ball to come down.

16. Kronos

Kronos Member

Sep 11, 2002
    California
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That left post looks so inviting...it's a tough shot, but I think it wouldn't bother me as much had he put it on frame

17. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    If he had scored that goal, his life would have changed forever.

18. Ed-D

Ed-D Member

Spurs
    United States
    Jun 13, 2005
    NY
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah and if my grandmother had wheels, she'd be a bicycle. If Landon Donovan wasn't a whiny, petulant little sh1t he would STFU. We can play the what if game for awhile...

19. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    hahahah True that. I guess what I mean is it's hard not to look at that shot and think "why God why"

20. Razzo

Razzo Member

Jul 1, 2014
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Ronaldo would have scored that with his eyes closed, spin around 30times, with a badger bitting his pelvis.

21. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    Other than that miss, did he enjoy Brazil? Considering how far he's come along to actually play in the CUP. Had a decent cameo against Portugal.

22. ClevelandForce

Jan 27, 2010
    All of those annoy me. But it annoys me most when Europhile Americans talk about "pace" when they would say "speed" when discussing any other sport.

"LeBron looks really pacey tonight....and my what a delightfully impudent pass!"