My membership expires in August, why should I give you idiots more money?

Discussion in 'Customer Service' started by MikeLastort2, Apr 20, 2005.

1. nancyb

nancyb Member

Jun 30, 2000
    Falls Church, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If this place can go for two months without database crashes, without me getting 'no suitable nodes' messages or internal server error messages, I'll re-up. At this point, I find it unlikely that will happen.

2. Mel Brennan

Mel Brennan PLANITARCHIS' BANE

Paris Saint Germain
    United States
    Apr 8, 2002
    Baltimore
    Club:
    Paris Saint Germain FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hostile, Socratic questioning.

I'm so proud. Of all of you.

Really.

3. Neo¹

Neo¹ Member

Sep 17, 2004

Calm the Fcuk Down

Oh my God You're a Mod, Not a regular customer.

Would you talk to your boss like that in Real life?

perhaps this should have went in the mods forum. ;)

4. Saeyddthe

Saeyddthe Member

Sep 5, 2003
    St. Looney ^the CB&J
    After receiving a 'rep' for this post, I clicked on the link to revisit...
    And, while all the anger exposed in this thread is valid, to some extent, it would be wrong to ignore the strides you've made since the last post in this thread.
    I just want to take this moment to thank you for all your efforts to fix the problems with this site, and let you know that I, for one, appreciate the differences apparent in the present.
    While we are paying customers, and as such, it is up to you to please us... I believe it is still incumbent upon us, as fellow human beings, to let you know that your efforts have not gone unnoticed...

Thank you.
    YiS
    Saeyddthe

5. Neo¹

Neo¹ Member

Sep 17, 2004

Hold Up they havent fixed anything yet. BS still goes down frequently. I thought it was my internet but it turned out to be Big Soccer.

6. Saeyddthe

Saeyddthe Member

Sep 5, 2003
    St. Looney ^the CB&J
    I'm just saying, they haven't yet for me...

And I diligently track all aspects of my internet 'usage'... Trust me on that one. ;)

Not saying you haven't had problems... just saying all the problems of the past, I went to lengths to track down, and they were specifically pinned on 'them'... Not happening for me anymore.... That's all.

7. Huss

Huss Member

Aug 1, 1995
    New York, NY
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Neo, it's been 9 days since the migration, and 9 days without a problem, excluding that little supermod incident which was unfortunate.

Hope you all read we are extending youru ememberships again.

8. Evil Genius

Evil Genius Member

Jun 6, 2004
    Southern Minnesota
    Supermod incident?

I hate to pry but I must have missed that since I haven't had any problems visiting here for a few weeks.

9. JonnyQuest

JonnyQuest Member

Mar 3, 1999
    Thanks Saeyddthe. We continue to try and I hope we've reached a nice stable setup.

10. Eddie26

Eddie26 Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 23, 2004
    Pittsadelphia
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Like scheduling maintenance during the day?? What was up with that? Can't roll out of bed in the midde of the night and do it then (as to avoid the least amount of downtime to users) like real IT people do? :rolleyes:

Sorry, you won't see anymore of my money Jesse. I mean for everything we have had to go through for the last 6 months, everyone should get a whole extra year free. Either way, I'll never renew again. But hey, atleast you guys are "working" on it...all the while you're laughing to the bank with all of our money in your pocket.

11. quentinc

quentinc New Member

Jan 3, 2005
    Annapolis, MD
    Yeah, what the hell happened all of today?

12. URwormfood

URwormfood Member

Mar 24, 2004
    6 feet under: LOT 8
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Bull$hit...A.....non-Failover to a data-base back up?????

At least folks that """pay""" should get an e-mail of any shutdowns!...or Maintenance windows!!!!

If "EMW"...hell..... have a premaid screenshot!...So at least when we send e-mail to the Customer service...It will reply???..

:confused:

still waiting......

:confused:

Bull$hit Data screen you put up!!!!!!!!!!

~worm~

13. IntheNet

IntheNet New Member

Nov 5, 2002
    Northern Virginia
    Club:
    Blackburn Rovers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree... an e-mail would have been helpful yesterday. How can one neg-rep the entire site?

14. Huss

Huss Member

Aug 1, 1995
    New York, NY
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Agree with you all. Unfort, can't send an email from the mailing list in the database if the scsi card and raid controller died.

15. Huss

Huss Member

Aug 1, 1995
    New York, NY
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
  16. IntheNet

IntheNet New Member

Nov 5, 2002
    Northern Virginia
    Club:
    Blackburn Rovers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Outdated technology man...waaaaaaaaay outdated!

17. JonnyQuest

JonnyQuest Member

Mar 3, 1999
    I'm not even sure it's worth jumping into this circus but I don't want to be accused of not keeping people up to date.

1) Anyone that thinks we're laughing all the way to the bank needs to give a second thought to how many subscribers it takes to pay for the 8 servers and 12 GB of RAM that currently run BigSoccer. I can give you the quick answer - more than BigSoccer has.

2) Anyone that thinks that scsi and raid are outdated technology are more than welcome to send us something newer. These are very well established standards.

3) As we explained in the explanation thread, it is very expensive to provide failsafe rollover for hardware failures in a database server. The very nature of MySQL makes it very difficult to separate your database onto multiple servers. To this extent, we have to keep buying larger and larger database servers to run the ever increasing traffic on BigSoccer. Having a second one of these machines just laying around waiting for a potential hardware failure is not something we can afford to do. We have redundant web servers and we have redundant backups of the data so we won't lose any data from any sort of failure, but we don't have lots of expensive computers just sitting there. If you'd like to donate a $8-10k server to have on backup, we'd be more than happy to put it into our cluster.

4) We are looking into finding a way to have some sort of rudundant backup but there aren't a lot of affordable solutions

5) Apparently none of you read the message that we would experience hiccups when we migrated. Actually, I know you all did as many of you responded with typical sarcastic complaints. We know that when we migrate we will have problems. We spent an enormous amount of time reducing the downtime from the software migration. We were not yet set up to handle a hardware failure.

6) If you choose not to renew your subscription, that is certainly your choice. We honestly do appreciate your support and you will be able to enjoy the site for as long as you want for free.

Thank you again for your patience.

18. Neo¹

Neo¹ Member

Sep 17, 2004
    12 Gigs of Ram??? Thats Crazy.

p.s. How come you guys dont post in the football forums?

19. The Bergamister

The Bergamister New Member

Jan 14, 2004
    Bergamo and Brussels
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    why don't you guys just come on on normal hours like us Europeans. I have never had any problems whatsoever. Fast and reliable mb. Ok I sometimes end up talking to myself since there is nobody else around but still that has not stopped me posting stuff...

20. Huss

Huss Member

Aug 1, 1995
    New York, NY
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Hopefully you've read the thread about the complimentary one month service extension.

21. Eddie26

Eddie26 Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 23, 2004
    Pittsadelphia
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    6 months of problems...1 month of service. Thanks. So I can choose to not renew my membership in Oct as opposed to Sept.

22. hiddink_magic

hiddink_magic New Member

Feb 27, 2003
    Wendouree
    As long as you enjoy the service it is not worth complaining about.

If I could get what you guys have and that is a membership I would. I wouldn't even bother complaining about it. It would look rather rude from other ppl's point of views because it would look like that I am asking for too much.

23. Eddie26

Eddie26 Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 23, 2004
    Pittsadelphia
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Asking too much!? For what? The site to work? That's too much? You need to find a suitable node as much as Huss does.

24. Huss

Huss Member

Aug 1, 1995
    New York, NY
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    It was 4 months of up and down problems (yes, some days were better than others but not all days were bad) and not 6, and it was 6 weeks of extension of service not 2. Somehow I doubt that 4 more months would make you happy. We've tried our best to fix things and to show appreciation. I am open to all other suggestions you have to make good. Most people seem to be pleased with our effort, and are especially pleased with the new servers.

25. fiddlestick

fiddlestick New Member

Jul 17, 2001
    The 4 8 0
    Here's the thing you people need to realize:

You're not paying to use the site. The site is free.

You're paying to have an avatar, a sig., an ignore list and possibly not have to look at ads while you browse the site.
    Oh, and to support the site, too.

When the site is down, everyone loses, not just the people who have paid to support it.