My entire CD collection

Discussion in 'nicodemus Guestbook' started by nicodemus, Nov 20, 2004.

1. nicodemus

nicodemus Member+

Sep 3, 2001
    Cidade Mágica
    Club:
    PAOK Saloniki
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    15. ALLMAN BROTHERS BAND - At the Fillmore East (Deluxe 2CD Edition)

[​IMG]

Okay, we're done with Iran (for now) and are onto Georgia, USA. I don't care how much people rag on southern rock, this is an awesome friggin' album. And yes, a 23-minute version of "Whipping Post" is entirely necessary.

2. bungadiri

bungadiri Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 25, 2002
    Acnestia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I still remember the first time I heard that one. It can still raise the hair on my neck.

3. CG

CG Member

Jul 25, 2001

That is the sole reason I have this cd.

4. nicodemus

nicodemus Member+

Sep 3, 2001
    Cidade Mágica
    Club:
    PAOK Saloniki
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    16. AMANDLA! A REVOLUTION IN FOUR-PART HARMONY (soundtrack)

[​IMG]

Soundtrack to a documentary about the role of music in the struggle to end apartheid. Great soundtrack, great movie. I saw the movie at a film festival in Birmingham. There wasn't a dry eye in the place when it was over. Filmmaker was there for a Q&A too. I recommend both film & soundtrack.

5. nicodemus

nicodemus Member+

Sep 3, 2001
    Cidade Mágica
    Club:
    PAOK Saloniki
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    17. ANAPHORA - Make Ready O Bethlehem

[​IMG]

Byzantine style chant in English. It's so-so. Not because chant in English is bad (on the contrary, you'll see some good reviews of chant in English on this list), but some of the performance is a bit rough in places, though most of them are good. It's not bad, just not super strong in places. It's still enjoyable though because you can tell the devotion is there and that it isn't just some pro singer that doesn't "feel it." This is all chant related to Nativity.

6. nicodemus

nicodemus Member+

Sep 3, 2001
    Cidade Mágica
    Club:
    PAOK Saloniki
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    18. TREY ANASTASIO - One Man's Trash

[​IMG]

Trey Anastasio's first solo album. It is available by internet/mail order only. It is so far away from what people expected from Phish's lead guitarist that it wasn't very warmly received by their fans. It probably still isn't. It has grown on me, and I listen to it a lot now. Very quirky album. More akin to Pavement than Phish. There's also a lot of fuzz and noise. Good stuff.

7. shwantzme

shwantzme Member

Jul 11, 2003
    The Old Dominion
    One of my all time favorite CD's.

I am definitely intrigued by this Alizadeh character. i am gonna look for that live in LA CD next time I am in da sto

8. CG

CG Member

Jul 25, 2001
    It is well worth it. Fantastic.

9. JPH

JPH BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 18, 1998
    Jersey Shoreish
    Nico - how long will it take for you to get out of the 'A's? :D

10. nicodemus

nicodemus Member+

Sep 3, 2001
    Cidade Mágica
    Club:
    PAOK Saloniki
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not too likely to find his stuff in the store. You can get it from amazon, etc. I will be happy to throw a mix CD together of his stuff for you.

My brother & I were going to see him play in Atlanta a year or two ago and he was denied a visa. :rolleyes: The rest of the people on the tour were awesome, so it was still worth it to go. He eventually got his visa sorted out and that ended up being the only date he cancelled. :( :mad:

11. nicodemus

nicodemus Member+

Sep 3, 2001
    Cidade Mágica
    Club:
    PAOK Saloniki
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I will probably make it into the Bs sometime later this week since I have tonight and tomorrow off. If you think the As are taking a while, wait until I get to the Bs and Cs. Those are going to take FOREVER.

12. CG

CG Member

Jul 25, 2001
    He has many, many cds.

His Indian name is Silver Disc. ;)

13. nicodemus

nicodemus Member+

Sep 3, 2001
    Cidade Mágica
    Club:
    PAOK Saloniki
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    :p When we get to the Ks, I probably have 30+ CDs of people whose last name is Khan. That's going to be tough to plow through. :D

14. shwantzme

shwantzme Member

Jul 11, 2003
    The Old Dominion
    Thanks for the offer, I just ordered it. I have been dying for some new music lately. This looks interesting so I went ahead and got it.

I am sure there will be many other artists in your CD collection that will intrigue me. When the next one comes up, I will inquire about a mix CD.

Sounds like you and your bro got screwed.

15. shwantzme

shwantzme Member

Jul 11, 2003
    The Old Dominion
    Do any of them have Ricardo Montalban on the cover? :D

16. fiddlestick

fiddlestick New Member

Jul 17, 2001
    The 4 8 0
    I ought to do this just so people can laugh at me.

And don't you forget to include that CD I lent you when you get to the M's (sometime in early 2008)

17. nicodemus

nicodemus Member+

Sep 3, 2001
    Cidade Mágica
    Club:
    PAOK Saloniki
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's part of the reason I'm doing it. I definately have some stuff people are going to laugh at. And I'm sure y'all will be giving me crap about it too.

I won't forget. As soon as I get some money, I plan on buying it.

18. JPH

JPH BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 18, 1998
    Jersey Shoreish
    I'm sure all those Backstreet Boys and Culture Club CDs will be responsible for that, right? ;)

19. nicodemus

nicodemus Member+

Sep 3, 2001
    Cidade Mágica
    Club:
    PAOK Saloniki
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    19. TREY ANASTASIO - Trey Anastasio

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Trey's first "full band" solo album. On the CD previously posted, he played all of the instruments except for drums on two songs or something ridiculous like that. This one finds him at the head of a 9-piece band. They also use a chamber orchestra and some additional horns on a few tracks. Much like the other album, I wasn't so crazy about this one at first, but eventually, it really grew on me. I love it now and play it all the time. "Alive Again" "Push on 'Til the Day" "Mr. Completely" and "Last Tube" are among the high energy highlights. There are some lush, mellow tunes as well. This album is like night & day with the other one. This one incorporates a lot of soul, funk, and monster guitar solos, where the other was more weird.

20. nicodemus

nicodemus Member+

Sep 3, 2001
    Cidade Mágica
    Club:
    PAOK Saloniki
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    20. TREY ANASTASIO - Plasma (2 CDs)

[​IMG]

Awesome live album recorded in multiple locations. I was actually at one of the shows a few songs are taken from. Just as with Phish, Anastasio and his band are at their best on stage. CD includes a few tunes off of the studio albums, but also unreleased material and a cover of a Bob Marley song ("Small Axe.") There's a monstrous version of "Night Speaks to a Woman." The whole disc is great from start to finish.

I love the album cover. You'll notice a photographer taking a picture. On the inside cover is the photo that the guy in the cover photo took of the other photographer. Neat photo package.

21. nicodemus

nicodemus Member+

Sep 3, 2001
    Cidade Mágica
    Club:
    PAOK Saloniki
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    21. TREY ANASTASIO - Seis De Mayo

[​IMG] [​IMG]

This isn't so much of a performance album for Anastasio as it is a compositional album. He only plays on two of the seven tracks. The rest are performed by orchestras, string quartets, etc. He does conduct all of the orchestras, etc. There's some really interesting stuff here.

22. nicodemus

nicodemus Member+

Sep 3, 2001
    Cidade Mágica
    Club:
    PAOK Saloniki
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    22. TREY ANASTASIO & TOM MARSHALL - Trampled By Lambs and Pecked By the Dove

[​IMG]

Album of demos from songwriting sessions with Tom Marshall (Phish's chief lyricist, but not a band member.) Most of the time it is just guitar and piano or guitar and percussion. There's the occasional other thing thrown in too. These are quite raw at times, but it's cool to be able to witness a step in the songwriting process. Many of these songs made it onto albums eventually or were played on tour, but a lot of them only appear here.

23. nicodemus

nicodemus Member+

Sep 3, 2001
    Cidade Mágica
    Club:
    PAOK Saloniki
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    23. HORACE ANDY - Wicked Dem A Burn: The Best of Horace Andy

[​IMG]

The first reggae to show up in the collection so far. Wondeful album. Mad_Bishop enlightened me to Horace Andy, and I'm grateful for it. Album has some covers like "Natural Mysic" and "Ain't No Sunshine" done in his own style. Also some great numbers I'd never heard like "Love You to Want Me" and "Riding for a Fall." In a totally different style from Marley, but every bit as good.

24. nicodemus

nicodemus Member+

Sep 3, 2001
    Cidade Mágica
    Club:
    PAOK Saloniki
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    24. ANGELITE - Mercy for the Living

[​IMG]

Angelite is a Bulgarian women's choir (insert High Fidelity the movie joke here.) They usually do folk music, but here they are doing Bulgarian Orthodox Church music. While the cover is a bunch of nuns, it's not them. Angelite are professional musicians. Amazingly beautiful music & voices.

25. nicodemus

nicodemus Member+

Sep 3, 2001
    Cidade Mágica
    Club:
    PAOK Saloniki
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    LYCOURGOS ANGELOPOULOS & THE GREEK BYZANTINE CHOIR - The Divine Liturgy of St. John Chrysostom

[​IMG]

Greek Orthodox Church music from one of the best choirs in Greece. This is an all male choir. It's different from the monastic choirs in that it is musically sharper, but not as austere. Regardless, it's a great disc.