Munsterman shall never surrender! yet another Twente thread [R]

Discussion in 'The Netherlands' started by johan neeskens, Aug 11, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. johan neeskens

Jan 14, 2004
    That's fair enough. What I was trying to make clear is that Suarez is more of a 'rommelaar'.

2. johan neeskens

Jan 14, 2004
    By the way, just to put things into perspective, Twente fans pretty much agree that Tiote was the best Twente player on the pitch at Twente v Sparta, and not Ruiz.

3. JC-14

JC-14 Member+

Jan 28, 2010
    Amsterdam
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    The fact that Ruiz is so efficient is a highly desireable trait. It is however not the be-all and end-all of it. I'm not saying Ruiz scores his goals just because he happens to be at the right place. That seems to be your idea of how a football player score their goals. I'm only saying that Suarez creates a lot more chances than Ruiz. Or are you suggesting that Suarez simply gets 4 times as many shots only because Ajax is better?

Also, I'd like to correct you on that. Football managers will not look at their goal/chance ratio. They look at the amount of goals and assists, age, club, achievement for that clubs, prizes, etc. May I offer another example of a striker btw, that misses a boatload of chances but still succeeds at the top simply because he creates that many chances? Eto'o.

But just imagin how awesome Suarez would be if he could improve on his efficiency. He'd score a 100 goals a season!

4. BTV802

BTV802 BigSoccer Supporter

AFC Ajax
    Jul 11, 2006
    Vermont
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    I'm sorry for bringing a North American perspective but I knew there was a similar quote from your side of the ocean and JC has posted it for me. From Cruyff no less! Try not to be so belittling!

You just need to recognize that comparing Suarez's ratio to Ruiz's ratio is not comparing apples to apples. There is a correlation between the number of shots you take and the number of shots you will miss. There is probably some defender out there who has taken 2 shots and made 1. Does that make him a better player than Ruiz?

5. BTV802

AFC Ajax
    Jul 11, 2006
    Vermont
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    After I wrote that I looked at the numbers and noticed that Suarez has only scored 7 more goals with almost 150 more chances. So yes Ruiz is a highly effective finisher compared to Suarez, but I agree with JC about how the fact that Suarez finds himself in the position to score waaaaaay more often than Ruiz is something to consider in itself. He's also not just creating more opportunities for himself, but also for others which is reflected in his assist total. Suarez just exhibits a much higher workrate than Ruiz.

edit: just please understand I am not arguing that Ruiz sucks. He's a great player and the argument is clearly there for you to say he is better. Lets all just agree to disagree because they are both great players.

6. he so scrumptiouz

Jun 1, 2006
    amsterdam
    :D

14 goals more while playing 5 games less.

7. BTV802

AFC Ajax
    Jul 11, 2006
    Vermont
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Yes that is a much nicer way of looking at it...But this is the Twente thread so we aren't allowed to discuss stats that make Suarez look better.

8. he so scrumptiouz

Jun 1, 2006
    amsterdam
    rommelaar, frommelaar..

winnaar. :D

9. he so scrumptiouz

Jun 1, 2006
    amsterdam
    chuckles. :p

10. aveslacker

aveslacker Member+

Ajax
    United States
    Apr 2, 2006
    Old Madras
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Huntelaar fits this description pretty well.

11. johan neeskens

Jan 14, 2004
    Huntelaar is an exceptional finisher. But he's also a mediocre footballer. You can't exactly say the same thing about Ruiz.

12. aveslacker

aveslacker Member+

Ajax
    United States
    Apr 2, 2006
    Old Madras
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No, I never would say that about Ruiz, and I agree with you about KJH. Which is why I also agree with you that Ruud would be better for Oranje as a pinch hitter than KJH.

13. Oranje23

Oranje23 Member

Mar 17, 2009
    Victoria, Canada
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    I think also that Ruud has a lot more skill than people give him credit for. Ruud seems to be seen as just a poacher with an incredible nose for goal but in my mind he's more than that. He's not going to fly down the wing and send in a pin point cross score a laser beam from 30yards but he's an excellent passer with great vision.

The step-over back heal he performed to allow Robben to fly in and set up RvP was brilliant.

14. johan neeskens

Jan 14, 2004
    He was known as a technically gifted player when he was playing in Holland. Then he went to ManU where they basically told him to stay in the penalty box at all times!

15. aveslacker

aveslacker Member+

Ajax
    United States
    Apr 2, 2006
    Old Madras
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That was probably my favorite moment of the entire tournament.

16. he so scrumptiouz

Jun 1, 2006
    amsterdam
    my favourite moment was when robben scored that scorcher immediately after henry's goal. :D

17. powerviolence

powerviolence Red Card

Aug 17, 2009
    If we consider that Ajax has a much, much, bigger budget than twente, well I would say there's a chance Ajax is a better side overall, with better, more expensive players playing around Suarez giving him chances to shoot, while Ruiz doesn't get nearly as many chances and often times he has to start the scoring plays himself from the midfield or the wing, then repositioning himself upfront to finish it in, I would say Suarez has better people around him than Kenneth Perez, Tiote, Jansen, Stoch(although hes on a slump), etc.. so that's definitely a variable.

But that's if we want to take this argument even further, which I think we shouldn't, both Ruiz and Suarez are amazing, bottomline, I wish they would play together upfront for a big team someday.

18. he so scrumptiouz

Jun 1, 2006
    amsterdam
    how about both at ajax. :D

19. BTV802

AFC Ajax
    Jul 11, 2006
    Vermont
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    After the Elia incident I cringe to imagine the reaction if Ajax began pursuing him...

I know you are just joking though.

20. Oranje23

Oranje23 Member

Mar 17, 2009
    Victoria, Canada
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    In our dreams. By the time it would take us to drug Munsterman and convince him to sell us Ruiz, Suarez have already been sold to a La Liga side.

21. Orange14

Orange14 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    VVV probably should have won a penalty at the end of the match which would have made things exciting. Nine more points and the title belongs to Twente!!!

22. AFCA

AFCA Member

Jul 16, 2002
    X X X rated
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    nervous yet Johan?

23. johan neeskens

Jan 14, 2004
    I'm in a constant state of near nervous breakdown hehehe. YOu can't even begin to imagine what's going on in this town, everybody's Twente obsessed. People who never watched football before in their lives now watch it, people getting all emotional about their dad the lifetime Twente fan not being alive to witness what's happening, the fireworks explosion victims, etc. I know I'm not objective but I reckon that if we win it it'll be the most emotional kampioenschap party this country has seen in a long, long, time.

It's gone easier than I thought it would these past couple of games (knock on wood) I thought VVV would be more difficult but we outclassed them really, even with Ruiz having an off-day (apart from the last five mins obviously!). We're playing football again which is nice to see. I don't think we'll lose any more points at home. The best thing ever would be winning the league v the Feyenoord scum at home.

24. johan neeskens

Jan 14, 2004
    Never mind Munsterman. There was a piece in Saturday's De volkskrant about Ajax's financial troubles. Ajax has announced that the entire squad has their wages reduced by 10% next season and that the club's posting a 25 million loss this season. You'll need a bank loan in the summer if you're not getting CL football (this is according to your own man Van de Boog). The point being: there's no way you can afford any Twente players this season, let alone Ruiz. I'm sure Heracles would cooperate on a Dost transfer mind.

25. johan neeskens

Jan 14, 2004
    By the way with that win at VVV Twente broke an all-time club record: we've never won twenty four games in one season before.