Multichannel News: beIN Sports USA will launch 2 channels on August 1

Discussion in 'TV, Satellite & Radio' started by huhe888, May 17, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. simont

simont Member

Nov 15, 2005
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well by your post it shows all your posts are BS and you have no inside info you are just making this all up. By the way I am not the idiot it’s the other way around you are the idiot.

2. holiday

holiday Member+

Oct 16, 2007
    your sources are people just like you, in the sense that they are experienced enough to make guesses, but not informed about the actual, specific facts of any alliances/negotiations at this moment.
    and when you admit that some of what they're telling you is 'btwn the lines,' you're saying that in any case you're interpreting in a certain way whatever it is they tell you. which makes it even more questionable.

beIN bidding on u.s. epl rights has a better chance of being true than the uk bid which was a preposterous suggestion, to be honest. but your inside info isn't telling us anything more, imho.

and i do wish you'd explain the odd comment about hacking, because i must say i would find it of some concern to be having this discussions with someone who could be a hacker.
    and the market you wish you could have is the 80million households reeled in by the big east. one man's 'market you wish you had' is another man's 'market you actually have.'

3. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Holy crap. I hope Candy Reid invests in a bodyguard. This guy is nearing Son of Sam territory.
    huhe, would you please explain why we should believe you about this when you were completely wrong about beIn and the Premiership? Surely you've heard the story of the boy who cried wolf. Maybe this time the wolf is really stealing your sheep, but why should WE believe that?

4. jhernandez86

jhernandez86 Member

Sep 22, 2004
    They are not going to get it. It is not a good business model for beIN. Is all about dollars and sence, by limiting the distribution, beIN will be shooting themselves in the foot. You do not want to exclude TWC and Comcast from potentially carrying their service.

So that is why Dish does not have that much leverage. On the other hand, Directv is in a better position, for many reasons, but one is exclusive content.

5. jhernandez86

jhernandez86 Member

Sep 22, 2004

Now I am an idiot because I do not follow your senseless logic. Dude in the entertainment industry things do work a bit different. The top executives who promoted football in America are not Americans, and we approach the game from a different perspective.

It is not all about dollars, but long term extrategy. Now, I do not want to make this personal, but when someone calls me an idiot, I have no choice but to take it personally.

Dude, you are a big speculator, who has no idea what goes on in the decision making of what it takes to growth a channel.

Soccer in the Unite States is a niche sport, but with the proper investment and Marketing campaign, you can growth the sport. Nonetheless, you need to be vigilant on the potential pitfalls of growing the sport.

And the ratings that you always go back to is not what it is the main source to growth the business.

Ratings, only work when we are working on card rates, and marketing pitch. The whole strategy on growing a niche sport requires, passion, vision and sometimes risk.

Sorry dude, but enough of your senseless speculations.

TJNash repped this.
  6. huhe888

huhe888 Red Card

Oct 3, 2007
    DISH wants to limit beIN SPORT DOS from DIRECTV for 12-24 months, just as DISH kept DIRECTV from having GOLTV for 24 months (GOLTV was not available on DIRECTV until February 23, 2005, 2 years after DISH signed on with GOLTV) and DISH is keeping Univision Deportes Network and Univision Deportes Dos from DIRECTV now.

DISH does not have the ability to limit any channel from being carried by Comcast or Time Warner Cable. Furthermore, DISH has never placed restrictions on a new channel to be made available to Comcast or Time Warner Cable. DISH has always wanted to impose restrictions on DIRECTV, especially with new channels broadcasting in languages other than English.

At this point, I would be surprised if DISH will have beIN SPORT DOS at launch.

The "tell" I got, "between the lines", is the following: Imagina U.S. is leaning toward DIRECTV over DISH as the preferred satellite TV partner. Unlike DISH, DIRECTV is also interested in beIN SPORT ONE despite its relatively weak programming lineup at launch: a mix of Serie A, La Liga, and Ligue 1; with no EPL and no college sports.

Imagina U.S. is having distribution issues with beIN SPORT ONE, as you would expect, because of beIN SPORT ONE's weak programming lineup at launch. The article written by Associated Press sports writer Ronald Blum, using data he obtained from his contact at FOX Sports Media Group (I am assuming Lou D'Ermilio,) is being used against beIN SPORT ONE right now:

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2012/soccer/05/24/champions.league.ratings.ap/index.html

The Fox Soccer cable network said it averaged 185,000 viewers for its 118 live Premier League telecasts this season, about the same as 184,000 for 112 matches in 2010-11. Fox averaged 54,000 for its 96 live Serie A broadcasts this year and 53,000 for its four Ligue 1 showings. Its one live Scottish Premier League match, between Glasgow Celtic and Rangers, had 86,000 viewers.

Among individual English clubs, Manchester United averaged 266,000 viewers for 20 live games, Manchester City 218,000 for 22, Arsenal 215,000 for 16, Liverpool 208,000 for 11, Chelsea 194,000 for 21 and Tottenham 185,000 for 18.

Note that no Nielsen Television Index (NTI) general market data is available for La Liga in the U.S., as both GOLTV and ESPN Deportes subscribed to only the NIT-Hispanic subset.

7. huhe888

huhe888 Red Card

Oct 3, 2007
    Until you have actually done enterprise business news reporting, you will never appreciate the meaning of "between the lines".

The cancellation of FOX Soccer Report story, which I broke via EPLTalk.com, was done by reading "between the lines" from an industry source who didn't want his name associated with the story for the fear of reprisal.

The tip I got from the source was far from direct, as I had to parse his message "between the lines" to figure out that at least one FOX Sports Media Group official was in Toronto in April to meet with Rogers Media.

Furthermore, one may never be able to obtain proof first hand. I had to hold back on the story for nearly 2 weeks until Rogers.com advertised the Senior Producer position for the new show, and followed up on the story a few days later with the exact date of cancellation after the production staff of FOX Soccer Report received their layoff notices.

If you are naive to believe that someone with the actual contract will magically reach out to you and hand you a story on a silver platter, then you are in the wrong business.

(The "simont's" of the world continue to demand "proof" as if he were GOD, when in reality, he is a message board idiot.)

8. huhe888

huhe888 Red Card

Oct 3, 2007
    Which of the two options is "better" but obviously not the best possible (because the ACC, B1G TEN, XII, PAC 12, and SEC are not available?)

1. Do nothing with the extra EPL matches at 10am or 11am ET on Saturdays other than streaming them.

2. Swap time slots with NBC Sports Group so that those extra EPL matches can air on NBC Sports Network (which actually wants EPL to replace hunting/fishing shows with audience median age of over 50) and CNBC; in exchange for time slots after 7pm ET so that NBC Sports Group can program 2nd pick and 3rd pick Big East basketball and Big East football on beIN SPORT ONE, at no cost to either party.

Option 1 will keep beIN SPORT ONE from reaching more than 45 million households by 2015, as beIN SPORT ONE would be no better than FOX Soccer, with no live event programming that can draw 100,000 viewers consistently after 7pm Eastern Time.

Option 2 will at least give beIN SPORT ONE a chance to go above 45 million households. Whether that ceiling is 50 million, 60 million, 70 million, or 80 million remains to be seen.

==

I have no idea whether the cable TV franchise GM in Boise, Idaho (for example) understands the value of big time international soccer.

However, I do know that many of his/her customers will dial 1-800-DIRECTV in a nanosecond if he decides not to offer beIN SPORT ONE and if beIN SPORT ONE were to have 4 Boise State Broncos football games in 2014.

Speaking of Boise State: it has until 5pm Mountain Time on Friday June 29, 2012 to withdraw from the Mountain West Conference effective June 30, 2013 without having to incur significant penalities. Pay attention to Boise, Idaho media sources such as the Idaho Statesman's Brian Murphy, as well as national sources such as Brett McMurphy of CBSSports.com.

9. holiday

holiday Member+

Oct 16, 2007
    1) you did not answer my attempt to get a clarification about your previous reference to hacking, which to me seems pretty serious business.
    2) what you have outlined in this post is fine as far as it goes. but imo it doesn't justify the way you use words like 'verify' and 'confirm.'
    3) no one can ask you to make public something like the content of an e-mail. but 'i spent two nights in transit at houston airport' comes up well short of any reasonable descriptions as to the sort of sources you're using. you need to qualify your sources in some way.

10. holiday

holiday Member+

Oct 16, 2007
    i know the formula by now, you really don't need to repeat it once again.
    my point being that 'big east = 80million' is a 'market you can wish for,' but it's hardly actual. ponder the fact that you promise 80million and than you go straight to boise, which is hardly gonna put you on the way to 80million. you're 'dreaming' about a household penetration with 2nd tier big east content a lot like someone else might be dreaming about building up a market for serie-a. some dreams may become reality, others won't. but 's what the future will tell, with its winners and its losers.

TJNash repped this.
  11. huhe888

huhe888 Red Card

Oct 3, 2007
    Boise State is a key piece of the puzzle right now, as it is the only truly "national" football program that is scheduled to be part of the Big East starting September 2013.

Boise State Broncos football is relevant far beyond the tiny Boise TV market, and has certainly been more relevant than Notre Dame during the past 5 years.

Everything changes if Boise State were to get cold feet and back out of its agreement to join the Big East in football.

The value of the likes of Central Florida and Houston to Big East football are based more on potential than reality. In contrast, Boise State has already proven its value.

12. holiday

holiday Member+

Oct 16, 2007
    but now you're jumping btwn a hard claim ('2nd tier big east = 80million') and a generic one ('boise state is relevant and has proven its value.') boise state at present may have value, but a tv channel in 80million households based on 2nd tier big east, is quite possibly still a 'dream.'
    btw, if you wanted to reach 80million households and had a choice btwn boise state and notre dame, which would you take?
    in any case, i cannot continue discussion with you without assurance you are not a hacker.

13. huhe888

huhe888 Red Card

Oct 3, 2007
    Please learn to read "between the lines".

I told you that 1) I spent two overnights at IAH waiting for connecting flights, 2) I did not use MIA, and 3) I did not stay at a hotel in Miami-Dade County.

You should have enough info to figure out 1) which airport I actually used, and 2) in which county the hotel I used was located, if I had actually stayed at a hotel in the first place.

There are plenty of you out there (reporters, enemies, self-described message board "gods",) who have reasons to hire hackers, or do the hacking yourself, to track what I am up to and post stuff on message boards and/or Twitter.

As for my mobile phone records: don't bother trying to find them via legitimate means or otherwise (bribing, stealing, or hacking.)

I am not stupid enough to use a contract mobile phone to conduct business. For the record, I have never used a contract mobile phone for any reason.

Many college athletic directors and coaches have also stopped using contract mobile phones.

The smartest athletic directors such as Greg Byrne (University of Arizona) hasn't used a contract mobile phone to conduct business in years.

14. AFC1886

AFC1886 Member

Apr 7, 2012
    This huhe888 guy/girl is one of the biggest nuts I have come across on the internet. This whole thread is like a car crash.

15. huhe888

huhe888 Red Card

Oct 3, 2007
    beIN SPORT 1 does NOT have a choice between Boise State and Notre Dame. NBC Sports Group has Notre Dame locked up.

beIN SPORT 1 has a choice between Boise State vs re-runs after 7pm ET on Saturdays. I would take Boise State over re-runs.

I know that I do not hack and I do not hire hackers.

Several years ago, two FBI agents came to my house to interview me regarding a former student (at a school where I ran a computer lab before quitting) who had a long arrest record as a hacker. That interview was NOT a pleasant experience. I avoid hackers like the plague.

I have no clue who you are.

Redbullsnation2012 and holiday repped this.
  16. unclesox

unclesox BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 8, 2003
    209, California
    Club:
    FC Barcelona