Multichannel News: beIN Sports USA will launch 2 channels on August 1

Discussion in 'TV, Satellite & Radio' started by huhe888, May 17, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. huhe888

huhe888 Red Card

Oct 3, 2007
    DISH would be interested in beIN SPORT DOS but not beIN SPORT ONE (as it stands now). DISH would also demand satellite exclusivity for beIN SPORT DOS for at least 12-24 months.

The tell I got: beIN SPORT would prefer to sign with DIRECTV over DISH because DIRECTV is interested in both beIN SPORT ONE and beIN SPORT DOS.

2. drt2k3

drt2k3 Member

Jul 1, 2005
    Wilmington, NC
    Club:
    Wilmington H.
    What will be on Sport One besides French League if Spanish and Italian League are exclusive to Sports Two

3. Lyrical S.

Lyrical S. Member+

Aug 22, 2006
    Morelia, Michoacan
    Club:
    Club América
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    his prediction doesnt make sense..

As i have said before I didnt think beIN would go with "SPORTS USA" I think in the end they would go the same route that GOLTV went 1 channel with two audio feeds and 1 or 2 overflow channels..

If they win EPL rights then a spanish channel is a no brainer..

4. jhernandez86

jhernandez86 Member

Sep 22, 2004
    And they will probably will. Not a good idea to give Dish exclusivity. Why? because of the high cost for both La Liga and Serie A. They need to get distribution ASAP.

Once again, Dish will carry both Channels, and so will Directv, and unfortunately, no Comcast and TWC deals on Aug 1.

5. huhe888

huhe888 Red Card

Oct 3, 2007
    Please read more carefully.

beIN SPORT DOS will be La Liga heaven with a smattering of Serie A. No Ligue 1 (because Univision Deportes Network has the rights through May 2014.)

beIN SPORT ONE will be programmed with live La Liga, Serie A, or Ligue 1, depending on which big teams will be playing in which time slots.

Up to 4 overflow matches will be streamed live (i.e. at beinsport.tv).

==

Target audience for beIN SPORT ONE will be English-speaking males 18-34, including but not limited to college students and English-dominant Hispanics (2nd and 3rd generation.)

Target audience for beIN SPORT DOS will be Spanish-speaking males 18-34.

==

Expect "update desk" segments on weekends during half time of live matches on both beIN SPORT ONE and beIN SPORT DOS, with female presenters sitting behind a transparent plexiglass desk (a la Central FOX on FOX Deportes.)

For beIN SPORT DOS, Imagina U.S. VP of Programming and Distribution Antonio Briceño openly reached out to Venezuelan swimsuit/lingerie model Maria Del Valle via Twitter last Sunday morning at 4am ET. Ms. Del Valle is currently the 3rd anchor of the evening edition of Central FOX.

https://twitter.com/anbricenozehl/status/216804683510054913

@mariadelvalle16 hola nos interesa hablar contigo sobre una posible oportunidad en canal nuevo en usa. favor enviarme tu contacto. gracias

central_FOX_20120621_maria_del_valle_newsroom_pre_show.jpg

central_FOX_20120528_3_close_Maria_2shot.jpg

For beIN SPORT ONE, I am aware that Candy Reid (formerly of World Sport on CNN/SI and CNNI) and Terri Leigh (formerly of FOX Soccer Report on FOX Soccer & FSWC) have both applied.

terri_leigh_FSR_2009.JPG

Other possibilities may include Julie Stewart-Binks (currently at CKCK-TV CTV Regina, Saskatchewan and formerly of FOX Soccer Report on FOX Soccer & FSWC) and Michelle Lissel (currently anchoring FOX Soccer Report on FOX Soccer and EuroWorld Sport) if they were to apply.

Other than Reid (who holds a U.S. passport), the other candidates I listed above will all need P-1 visa sponsorship.

Attached Files:

6. huhe888

huhe888 Red Card

Oct 3, 2007
    Please stop speculating.

You are sitting in Mexico.

I took a business trip from San Francisco a few days ago (on my own expense, using a combination of cash and frequent flyer airline miles.) I can tell you that I was stuck at the Houston Intercontinental Airport (IAH) during the overnight hours on both the outbound and return trips, waiting for connecting flights.

7. 7spencer7

7spencer7 Member

Mar 25, 2008
    Outside Boston
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    HA!

Yeah... it's not a business trip if you have to pay for it.

8. drt2k3

drt2k3 Member

Jul 1, 2005
    Wilmington, NC
    Club:
    Wilmington H.
    you just said you believe sport dos while be la liga heaven. you did not originally mention what would be on sport 1.

9. TJNash

TJNash Member

May 22, 2012
    San Diego, CA
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    How's this "tell" for you re: the new college football championship? ESPN has a 30 day exclusive negotiating window for that package. I'll "tell" you that your middle eastern friends won't even get a chance to make a bid, as ESPN will have that locked down for the next 12 years.

And if these developments re: the college football championship "tournament" don't reiterate what we have repeatedly told you about the non-value of the Big East as a football conference, nothing will.

10. Lyrical S.

Lyrical S. Member+

Aug 22, 2006
    Morelia, Michoacan
    Club:
    Club América
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    Actually I am closer to you than you think..

And please re-read what i am saying..

Having 2 channels for Liga BBVA, Serie A, Ligue Un doesnt make sense! If EPL would be in the picture its a no brainer.. It is like they are giving us a hint..

11. bradjmoore48

bradjmoore48 Member

Aug 3, 2010
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    SD891.jpg

SYoshonis and 7spencer7 repped this.
  12. huhe888

huhe888 Red Card

Oct 3, 2007
    Nothing has changed since April.

The contest for the U.S. rights to EPL for 2013-2016 will be between two consortiums based on all available tells so far:

FOX Sports Media Group-ESPN-Univision Deportes

vs

beIN Sports-NBC Sports Group-Telemundo Media

If you were to believe that FOX-ESPN-Univision have come up with a way to bid $300 million (i.e. $150 million from FOX Sports, $90 million from ESPN Inc., $60 million from Univision Deportes), then beIN Sports-NBC Sports Group-Telemundo Media will have to bid at least $360 million, if not closer to $420 million, in order to win.

Each $60 million step represents only $1 million/club/season, as many of you have reminded me. A difference of $60 million may not be enough for the challengers to win the rights because the incumbents (FOX-ESPN) will attempt to sell the idea to the FAPL that the beIN Sports-NBC Sports Group combination cannot be trusted to maintain brand momentum for the big EPL clubs in the U.S.

(A few of you actually believe that FAPL should accept a $300 million bid from FOX-ESPN-Univision and decline any bid from beIN Sports-NBC Sports Group-Telemundo that is less than $600 million, because any difference of less than $5 million/club/season can be written off as marketing cost due to the "ESPN" factor. I disagree. )

13. socceraction

socceraction Member+

Oct 20, 2000

And a reminder for those who have not read the frst 28 pages of this thread....there is NO EVIDENCE that the above so-called consortiums exist. Its pure speculation on the part of Huhe. There is also NO EVIDENCE that BeinSport (Al Jazeera) will bid for the EPL in the US.

And this is coming from someone (me) who truly wishes that BeIn not only bid but also win the bidding for the EPL. Otherwise, we have backtracked 6 years and will end up with 3 very good soccer products (La Liga, Serie A and Ligue 1) on a niche channel who's ownership will require at least the 3 years which they purchased the products to start figuring out the US market.

I don't write this to be controversial or whatever. I just see a need for facts to be separated from speculation. And quite frankly, there has been so much speculation in this thread that it is starting to morph into "facts". A purchase of GOL-TV is still as realistic as anything else spewed out in this thread. Now THAT's speculation on my part...

SA

14. huhe888

huhe888 Red Card

Oct 3, 2007
    Why don't you develop your own industry sources and make some phone calls instead of stealing TV listings off the internet and calling people names?

I only needed to make 2 phone calls to confirm that FOX-ESPN have recruited Univision into their partnership in order to form a 3-way consortium for the purpose of pooling enough money to put in a competitive bid against Qatar Media's beIN SPORT USA

Univision Deportes Network actually WANTS 38 "1st pick" EPL matches in Spanish so that it can air Manchester United 38 times each season.

==

A possible purchase of GOLTV, Inc. is only a remote possibility now that GOLTV has to face the music from the MSOs. All the carriage deals GOLTV, Inc. has with the MSOs have either expired or will expire prior to August 1. The most important deal is with DIRECTV, with 5 million English-language sports pack subscribers. GOLTV only has 13 million subscribers combined. Losing 5 million subscribers would be a crippling blow.

15. TJNash

TJNash Member

May 22, 2012
    San Diego, CA
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hey, Oliver, since when do Google and your fevered imagination count as industry sources?

Please, once and for all, provide us with facts that Qatar Media and Comcast/NBC Universal/Telemundo have formed a consortium to do ANYTHING, much less spend hundreds of millions of dollars on the EPL. And the god forsaken Big east.

16. huhe888

huhe888 Red Card

Oct 3, 2007
    Do you honestly believe that I would spend two overnights at Houston Intercontinental Airport (one overnight layover was intentional, the other overnight layover was unintentional because my return flight left 3 hours late due to weather and I missed the last possible connecting flight for the night) for the heck of it if every piece of info were to point to FOX-ESPN making the only bid for U.S. rights to EPL for 2013-2016?

(For the record: I did NOT use MIA airport and I did NOT stay at a hotel in Miami-Dade County during my business trip, so don't bother hacking into various systems to look for evidence.)

The fact that FOX-ESPN recruited Univision, and the fact that I was able to verify the event taking place with a couple of phone calls, tell me that FOX-ESPN took the threat of Qatar Media's beIN SPORT USA seriously enough to bring Univision in as reinforcement. Don't forget that FOX and ESPN both had to sacrifice their respective Deportes networks when they agreed to give up 1st pick in Spanish to all 38 EPL rounds to Univision in order to make sure that FOX and ESPN have a fighting chance to keep the English-language U.S. rights to EPL for 2013-2016.

17. holiday

holiday Member+

Oct 16, 2007
    there's a difference btwn verifying, and exchanging rumors. are you sure you have verified?
    is that something you would do?

18. SYoshonis

SYoshonis Member+

Jun 8, 2000
    Lafayette, Louisiana
    Club:
    Michigan Bucks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Oh. My. God.

I don't know what's more shocking, that someone could be so self-important, or that someone could be so oblivious to being so self-important.

TJNash repped this.
  19. tideman

tideman Member

Aug 11, 2007
    New York City
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Don't waste your bandwidth, he still has not responded to that unsubstantiated statement after repeated requests to do so.

20. socceraction

socceraction Member+

Oct 20, 2000
    One item at a time...

Never intended to make it personal and PLEASE show where I called anybody anything??? My post was related to a phone call I received from an old friend who called to tell me how "Al Jazeera" bought the rights to La Liga and Serie A and how El Clasicos will be on Telemundo for the next 3 years and that they will own the Premiership rights after this season. Turns out, of course, he stumbled on this thread (he is not apparently a regular BigSoccer reader). Perhaps his reading skills need tuning but my point was that there is lots of speculation in this thread - not unlike the "UK tender" thread where you made it clear that BeIn would be bidding for at least one package (all evidence now points to no bid at all). People take speculation as fact and you my friend have NOT shown the facts.

--------------------------------

Yes, I do believe.

---------------------------------

That says everything anybody needs to know about YOU.

--------------------------------

Now lets finally make it personal....Oliver, you are the Newt Gingrich of the online soccer community. You can take that as a compliment or as an insult. You wouldn't be wrong either way. Anybody who worked for or around Newt had the same things to say about him: A genius and an a-hole. Like Newt, I think you suffer from "The smartest guy in the room" syndrome. 100 ideas a day are slung against the wall to see which, if any, will stick. All you need is 10% of the information and you can convince yourself you can extract the whole 100% truth. And anybody that disagrees with you is just an idiot because....you are the smartest guy in the room.

I hate to break it to but you are NOT a TV executive. Its all in your head. Do you know more than me about the inner workings of TV deals? I am sure of it. I never pretended to know. I have always kept you in high regard for your work on soccerontv.com as well as its timely sale. Good for you. But your posts consistenly blur facts from speculation....and I believe you do it on purpose. I would venture to guess that you believe TV executes (and sheiks) wait impatiently for your next post so they can find out exactly what their next move will be. Without you - the smartest guy in the room - they will be lost. Me and other posters in here, just a distraction. I'm sure you wish we could go away so you can continue your "conversation" with the guys that matter.

SA

PS. Almost forgot...those screen captures of the female reporters....very creepy dude....

21. jhernandez86

jhernandez86 Member

Sep 22, 2004

Just check, with Fox, and no, there is no Univision recruitment. At this point, from my sources, there is nothing indicating that beIN will be betting on the EPL.

I repeat, as of right now, beIN is not interested in the EPL. Hot off the rumor stove.

TJNash repped this.
  22. jhernandez86

jhernandez86 Member

Sep 22, 2004
    I like this board, but as a rule of thumb, we should stick with facts. I hate to have conversations with industry source about pure speculations.

This board is making me look bad. Please stick to the facts.

23. simont

simont Member

Nov 15, 2005
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Ok prove to us that what you are saying is true come on post links or even a email but even that I and I think others would take as BS because how do we no you don’t make it up. Now because you have not answered my and others questions about the proof and all you do is post the same crap over and over again shows that what you are posting is bs

24. huhe888

huhe888 Red Card

Oct 3, 2007
    Your sources are telling you:

1. FOX Sports did not bring in Univision to help out with the bid for U.S. rights to EPL.

2. Comcast is not negotiating with Qatar Media in any way. Not Comcast Cable, not NBC Sports Group, not Deportes Telemundo.

My sources are telling me the exact opposite, either directly or "between the lines".

You also told us that you used to work for a TV station in Los Angeles.

You also told us that anyone who does not want to program Serie A or La Liga matches in English need to be fired even though both products draw about 1/3 the audience on average compared to EPL.

That last point tells me everything I need to know about you: you are an idiot who couldn't survive in the industry.

You want to program a TV channel for the market that you wish you can have, not the market you actually have. That is a cardinal sin of TV programming.

25. huhe888

huhe888 Red Card

Oct 3, 2007
    Why would I post confidential emails and give away my sources to idiots like you?

I have no clue who you are.

And who do you think you are to demand that I "prove" everything by posting confidential emails here?

Hint: you are not GOD, and you know it even though you like to play god on a message board (like all the idiots who have come before you during the past 15 years this message board has been open.)

You are an idiot, and you know that too.