Multichannel News: beIN Sports USA will launch 2 channels on August 1

Discussion in 'TV, Satellite & Radio' started by huhe888, May 17, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. huhe888

huhe888 Red Card

Oct 3, 2007
    Cruz Azul, Monarcas, and Jaguares are off limits. Azteca America will not sublicense those 3 to Univision Deportes Network.

That leaves Puebla, Tijuana, and Leon. Because Puebla and Tijuana play mostly on Sundays, Azteca America is keeping them. That leaves Leon available for sublicensing to Univison Deportes Network.

2. Lyrical S.

Lyrical S. Member+

Aug 22, 2006
    Morelia, Michoacan
    Club:
    Club América
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    you dont understand what i am saying..

as i can see you dont have a clue of Mexican football..

Morelia, Tijuana, Chiapas, and Leon will play their home games on Friday evenings.

Like I said Cruz Azul would have been a better option for both Univision and Azteca..

3. holiday

holiday Member+

Oct 16, 2007
    what i'm scratching my head about is that valencia with one mexican player (who may or may not get on the field) doesn't seem at all 'nasty.' that's about option #30 for mex-am soccer viewers in socal. and you think you can posture that into getting onto basic in every single twc system. :confused:

TJNash repped this.
  4. drt2k3

drt2k3 Member

Jul 1, 2005
    Wilmington, NC
    Club:
    Wilmington H.
    plus time warner is the dominant carrier in socal so carriage won't be that big of an issue. as long as they have the lakers they will be fine. that is what this RSN is based off of anyways.

5. jhernandez86

jhernandez86 Member

Sep 22, 2004
    Ok so this is what I am predicting, on August 1, 2012 beIN will be on Dish and Direct, but that is a long shot. And the only reason why I am putting Directv on this list is because Directv knows sports, and they know La Liga, other than that, I see no reason for Directv to carry beIN networks.

The Commebol qualifications will still be on pay per view, at least for the September round since they are already announcing the ppv availability.

And that is it. No Comcast deal, no TWC, no Cablevision and no Charter if there are still around.

Why? because it is a star-up and they are involved with a high cost niche sport, so paying them 17 cents per sub may not in beIN's plans, but I may be wrong if we go with the theory that they are not in for the money which if you think about it, it does make sense.

In addition, take a look at August in Los Angeles, several new ventures are coming in to fruition, RCN/Fox International new channel, TWC Deportes channel, and beIN networks.

And today is July 18, 2011 and beIN networks has yet to make any announcements. What is that telling you?

6. jhernandez86

jhernandez86 Member

Sep 22, 2004
    Sorry is June 18, 2o12, ups my bad.

7. huhe888

huhe888 Red Card

Oct 3, 2007
    Do you realize how much U.S. rights to soccer matches that appeal to Mexican-American viewers in Southern California now cost?

U.S. TV rights to a typical package of 17 Liga MX regular season home games for a random Mexican club (not including Chivas or Club America): $8 million

(Why do you think ESPN Deportes and FOX Deportes buy non-exclusive sublicenses from Azteca America? Because ESPN Deportes in particular, with only $11 million in annual subscriber fees earned, cannot afford an exclusive sublicense; and FOX Deportes doesn't want to pay for exclusive sublicense when a non-exclusive sublicense is available.)

U.S. TV rights to 34 La Liga matches involving Valencia (but not involving Barcelona or Real Madrid): about $3 million

If Time Warner Cable wants a "launch fee" from beIN Sport (USA) LLC for priority placement of beIN Sports and beIN Deportes, beIN Sport LLC has "launch fee" ready: 24-hour exclusive Spanish-language rights to 34 La Liga matches involving Valencia, plus access to an international soccer talk show that beIN Deportes can produce from Miami and customize specifically for Time Warner Cable Deportes so that Time Warner Cable Deportes doesn't have use its resources to produce a similar show out of Los Angeles.

Bottom line: beIN Sport (USA) LLC can offer exactly what Time Warner Cable Deportes is looking for, with no cash changing hands, if Time Warner Cable (at the national HQ level) can deliver exactly what beIN Sport LLC is looking for: expanded basic or digital basic placement for beIN Sports, and Spanish-language tier placement for beIN Deportes on all TWC systems across the U.S. by August 2013.

Who really has more leverage here: beIN Sport (USA) LLC or Time Warner Cable? You decide.

Time Warner Cable better play nice with beIN Sport (USA) LLC if it wants soccer content at little or no cost from beIN Deportes for Time Warner Cable Deportes.

8. holiday

holiday Member+

Oct 16, 2007
    per game, any mexican team is worth 5.33 times valencia. ponder that, in terms of exactly what twc deportes is looking for.
    andres guardado + valencia isn't hugo sanchez + real madrid.
    and an international soccer talk show is peanuts.

ps - you've moved from "digital basic and Spanish-language digital basic" to "expanded basic or digital basic placement for beIN Sports, and Spanish-language tier." backing up a little or just fuzzy writing?

Who really has more leverage here: beIN Sport (USA) LLC or Time Warner Cable? You decide.

Time Warner Cable better play nice with beIN Sport (USA) LLC if it wants soccer content at little or no cost from beIN Deportes for Time Warner Cable Deportes.[/quote]

9. drt2k3

drt2k3 Member

Jul 1, 2005
    Wilmington, NC
    Club:
    Wilmington H.
    you have to look at the other side of the coin...what if time warner does not want to do this?

if they decide to not do any of this, their new RSN's anchored by the Lakers will still get launched in English and Spanish and have wide distribution right off the bat b/c of Time Warner's dominance in SoCal and Hawaii. Other providers will fall in line b/c the Lakers, despite being an NBA team, are that popular in their market. Not to mention the fact that Time Warner will make a push to get the Dodgers next year.

They do not need to BEIN soccer.

TJNash repped this.
  10. huhe888

huhe888 Red Card

Oct 3, 2007
    NOBODY wants to pay $3.95/month combined for Time Warner Cable Sportsnet and Time Warner Cable Deportes. And I do mean NOBODY in the MSO industry.

Time Warner Cable Sportsnet is worth around $1-2/month with the Lakers, but Time Warner Cable Deportes is worth no more that $0.15 because it does NOT have unique live events that appeal to its primary target audience (Spanish-dominant Hispanic males 18-34 and 18-49) that other networks don't have.

(ESPN U.S. is worth over $5/month but ESPN Deportes is worth only $0.15/month. Same rationale. FOX Deportes is only worth $0.22/month.)

Time Warner Cable Deportes NEEDS live international soccer that appeal to Mexican-Americas living in LA if it wants COX and Charter to sign on at a reasonable price (i.e. $0.15-0.20/month.)

Regardless of what the NBA tries to tell you, the NBA doesn't really sell in the U.S. Hispanic market.

Telemundo tried NBA a few years ago and couldn't get rid of it fast enough.

ESPN Deportes doesn't simulcast all NBA games produced by ESPN, Inc. whenever live soccer or boxing are available.

Turner Sports doesn't put the NBA on CNN en Español U.S. the way Turner Sports does with MLB playoffs.

11. drt2k3

drt2k3 Member

Jul 1, 2005
    Wilmington, NC
    Club:
    Wilmington H.
    then there is going to be another rsn cable/satellite standoff.

see time warner's cset in the carolina's; they do not lose standoffs even if it hurts distribution short term, and the lakers are a heck of a lot more popular than the bobcats. plus time warner is going to make a play on the dodgers.

who are the other cable carriers in socal, hawaii, and southern nevada (the lakers and dodgers viewing area). Time warner will not lose any sleep if they are unable to work out a deal w/ dish and directv.

12. huhe888

huhe888 Red Card

Oct 3, 2007
    COX Cable serves Santa Barbara, Southern Orange County, Southern half of San Diego County, and Las Vegas.

Charter Communications serves the parts of Los Angeles county that isn't served by Time Warner Cable, i.e. Pasadena.

In North Carolina, Time Warner Cable ultimately folded CSET and cut a deal with FOX Sports South (which was later split to create FOX Sports Carolinas) for the Charlotte Bobcats.

Bottom line: CSET did NOT work and the Bobcats were furious with Time Warner Cable.

Time Warner Cable is run by egomaniacs living in a fantasy world who need to be slapped silly in order to get back into reality.

13. drt2k3

drt2k3 Member

Jul 1, 2005
    Wilmington, NC
    Club:
    Wilmington H.
    You forget to mention what time warner got out the deal, the naming rights to the new Charlotte arena. Who cares if the Bobcats were mad, they took a chance on their own RSN and it did not pay off. Time Warner releasing the Bobcats from their contract with Time Warner got them free naming rights. So Time Warner's patience paid off and in the mean time they had a nice little something to offer as cable exclusive to fight against Directv and Dish. Not too bad for "egomaniacs living in a fantasy world"

Time Warner is a very thrifty and patient company and it has paid off for them and I expect this LA RSN to be very successful b/c the Lakers are the "IT" team in LA while the Bobcats were owned by a less than popular individual at a time when the city of Charlotte was still bitter at the NBA for how the Hornets debacle went down. Usually it takes an MLB team to carry an RSN, but in the Lakers case, their brand is strong enough to carry one on its own.

14. TJNash

TJNash Member

May 22, 2012
    San Diego, CA
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Oh, the irony of you saying this.

15. huhe888

huhe888 Red Card

Oct 3, 2007
    Caught this on Twitter early Sunday morning, posted by Imagina U.S. VP of Programming & Affiliate Distribution Antonio Briceno:

https://twitter.com/anbricenozehl/status/216804683510054913

@mariadelvalle16 hola nos interesa hablar contigo sobre una posible oportunidad en canal nuevo en usa. favor enviarme tu contacto. gracias

==

Venezuelan Maria del Valle is a former swimsuit/lingerie model who now anchors Central FOX on FOX Deportes and FOX Sports Latin America North Cone:

================

As you would expect, a lot of talent will be evaluated in the coming weeks.

On the Spanish side, I don't know yet whether the afternoon Central FOX female anchor, former Mexican beauty pageant contestant Pilar Perez, will apply as well. Pilar was "Miss Guanajuato 1996".

==================

On the English side, two obvious candidates have expressed interest as one would expect: former CNN/SI & CNNI World Sport anchor Candy Reid (a lifelong Liverpool fan and "soccer mom" whose son has red hair a la Paul Scholes) and former FOX Soccer Report anchor Terri Leigh (a.k.a Terri St. Louis, she is married to Jeremy.)

Don't know yet whether Michelle Lissel will apply or not, but she is certainly on the radar, especially since FOX Soccer Report will shut down on August 31.

Ditto Julie Stewart-Binks, who anchored a grand total of 1 show on FOX Soccer Report in addition to doing voiceover reports during the 4 months she spent at 201 Portage. JSB is now a sports reporter/weekend anchor at CKCK-TV (CTV affiliate) in Regina, Saskatchewan.

MetroChile repped this.
  16. jhernandez86

jhernandez86 Member

Sep 22, 2004
    Over the weekend, River in Argentina ascended to first division, so next season the famous Boca vs. River classics are back.

This is great news for Goltv. Both River and Boca have a strong following in the US. If Boca and River were to bring some Colombia talent like in the old days, the ratings will be higher.

So do not write off Goltv yet.

17. TJNash

TJNash Member

May 22, 2012
    San Diego, CA
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So, having a red headed son somehow qualifies one for an anchor gig?

Two observations:

1. You have entered into full on stalker territory if you are searching the internet for pictures of this woman's kids; and

2. If being a "soccer mom" and a "Liverpool fan" somehow means anything to these talent evaluators, beIN Sport USA will be a shit show of epic proportions.

18. huhe888

huhe888 Red Card

Oct 3, 2007
    I understand that the branding of the two beIN SPORT USA channels, as of June 25, are:

beIN SPORT 1 (pronounced in English: BE IN SPORT ONE)

beIN SPORT 2 (pronounced in Spanish: BEEN SPORT DOS)

The branding for the two beIN SPORT USA channels will remain European and will not be localized to conform to U.S. usage.

Both channels are scheduled to launch on August 1.

I also understand that up to 6 matches may be available simultaneously in the U.S. once Serie A, La Liga, and Ligue 1 are all in season, with 4 of the 6 matches to be available exclusively via the Internet, due to conflicting kickoff times.

19. huhe888

huhe888 Red Card

Oct 3, 2007
    I understand that former FOX Soccer Report anchor Terri Leigh (a.k.a. Terri St. Louis) has definitely tossed her hat into the ring.

Terri is a legitimate contender because she has a combination of experience (2 years as FSR anchor) and youthful appearance. She is a Canadian citizen and she will need P-1 visa sponsorship if she were selected for any on-camera role at beIN SPORT 1 (USA), including the weekend "update desk" being planned for August 2012 and beyond.

[​IMG]

20. UEFAJason

UEFAJason Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    I know nothing is set in stone as of yet, but is there any reason why beIN couldn't partner with DirecTV to at least supplement what isn't carried live as has been arranged the last couple of years? Theoretically, beIN may carry all live matches involving Barca and Real because from what I've understood, their matches seldom conflict.

I think if beIN were to place La Liga on the Spanish version and then Ligue 1 and Serie A on the English channel with SAP readily available on both, then a few conflicts would be averted.

21. jcvf90

jcvf90 Member

Dec 12, 2006
    Boca Raton, FL
    Also, will their online service be free (free like ESPN3, depending on your ISP) or like Fox subscriber based?

22. huhe888

huhe888 Red Card

Oct 3, 2007
    Does not appear to me that SAP will be offered.

I understand that beIN SPORT 1 (ONE) and beIN SPORT 2 (DOS) are supposed to have distinct on-air identities with different languages and different on-camera personalities.

beIN SPORT 2 (DOS) is supposed to be La Liga heaven with some key Serie A matches sprinkled in. DOS will NOT have Ligue 1 because Univision Deportes Network will have Ligue 1 in Spanish through May 2014.

23. huhe888

huhe888 Red Card

Oct 3, 2007
    The branding is certainly one "tell" that a certain amount of ego is involved in the decision-making process by the inner circle based in Doha as well as the branding consultant (in France).

The brand will be "beIN SPORT" and will be pronounced "BEEN SPORT" in Spanish.

==

No tells so far regarding beIN SPORT's possible interest in the BIG EAST Conference and the new College Football Championship (BCS replacement).

The managers on the ground at Imagina U.S. in South Florida certainly understand the value of the BIG EAST to beIN SPORT 1 (in terms of distribution leverage), but Youssef is the only one who can make the decision whether he wants BIG EAST sports to air on beIN SPORT 1 regardless of whether the BIG EAST events will air under the "beIN SPORT" brand or the "NBC Sports" brand.

==

Logic now points to DIRECTV and Comcast as the two most logical launch MSO partners for beIN SPORT USA, but logic does not always apply in the pay TV business.

Time Warner Cable appears to be the most difficult nut to crack, as most of us would expect from recent history.

(Whatever "tells" I can observe are consistent with the above two sentences.)

==

I understand the Bertrand-Régis Louvet (BRL), the sports media industry blogger from Le Parisien, didn't do his homework before he posted his blog entry on June 5. I understand that there was no deal for beIN SPORT USA with Cablevision at the time of his blog entry. BRL apparently was talking to someone at beIN SPORT France, which meant his source was not close enough to Imagina U.S. to know what was going on at beIN SPORT USA.

http://brl-tv.blog.leparisien.fr/ar...-sport-etats-unis-va-s-installer-a-miami.html

24. huhe888

huhe888 Red Card

Oct 3, 2007
    Interesting stuff regarding the new "College Football Championship" starting with the 2014 season:

2 semifinal games (to be hosted by existing bowls) plus 4 exhibition "bowl games", for a total of 12 teams, all to be selected by a selection committee. Conference affiliation apparently will NOT matter, but conference champions will be given weight.

The "Boise States" of the world (champions of the BIG EAST conference on down) will still have to hope for the stars to align (as they did for TCU after the 2010 season if the new system were in place at the time) in order to get a shot at one of the semifinal games.

If anything, the new system will encourage further "creative scheduling" of non-conference games, as going undefeated will still matter in the eyes of the committee members.

There will be controversy and there will be endless debates. The "soap opera for men" aspect of college football will continue.

25. jhernandez86

jhernandez86 Member

Sep 22, 2004

Man, Comcast is no where negotiating with beIN, but Dish and Directv are, and TWC was approach, but that is not going anywhere any time soon.

I betting on Aug 1 to see beIN in SD on Dish and and SD and part time HD on Direvtv. but not Comcast and TWC.