Mukwelle Akale at Villarreal

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by Mario Balotelli, Apr 25, 2014.

1. Giggsy1986

Giggsy1986 Member+

Jan 27, 2014
    Club:
    Manchester United FC

To get the trolls going!

2. Eighteen Alpha

Eighteen Alpha Member+

Aug 17, 2016
    Club:
    Stoke City FC
    Played 90 in a 0 -1 defeat of CD Segorbe. The sole goal was a penalty taken by Dario Póveda. The win cements their number three position in the group in a comfortable position for promotion. Villarreal C's promotion, however, will be likely blocked by the B team who are unlikely to go up.

3. Giggsy1986

Giggsy1986 Member+

Jan 27, 2014
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Winoman repped this.
  4. Bolivianfuego

Bolivianfuego Your favorite Bolivian

Apr 12, 2004
    Fairfax, Va
    Club:
    Bolivar La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    The young north american Akale continues to sum up games/minutes for Villarreal C of the third division.

Tom Collingsworth and Winoman repped this.
  5. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  6. Giggsy1986

Giggsy1986 Member+

Jan 27, 2014
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Observations:

1.) He is training 1-2 times a week with the First Team

2.) Villareal is 100% dedicated to developing players. They laughed at English teams dropping first team players down to youth matches almost as if they couldn't believe it.

3.) They sound super concerned about his development ;)

sXeWesley and Eighteen Alpha repped this.
  7. Eighteen Alpha

Eighteen Alpha Member+

Aug 17, 2016
    Club:
    Stoke City FC
    #1207 Eighteen Alpha, Mar 18, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 18, 2017
    He also sounded comfortable, upbeat and engaging. Seems really happy with his situation.

I've been thinking (watch out!) and still don't get how so many don't feel Akale deserves a call up to the U-20 World Cup. I certainly understand the disappointment and feeling that his development has stalled (though I could not disagree more) but on quality alone, I think Akale has to be part of the starting XI. I really recommend that people who haven't done so watch his play. Third Division in Spain is not a great level but it is professional, technical and fast and largely against adults. Akale, despite not being an every game 90 minute player, is clearly one of the smoothest, fastest, most technical and creative players on his squad. And training once or twice a week with the first team is not miraculous but it is certainly better than not training with the first team in Germany, England, the US or wherever.

sXeWesley, Namdynamo, Gacm32 and 6 others repped this.
  8. Bob Morocco

Bob Morocco Member+

Aug 11, 2003
    Billings, MT
    Based on what I've seen I'd call him up but his competition at RW is Josh Perez, who has made his first team debut. He could play AM in a 4-2-3-1 but we may go with a 4-1-2-3 where he fits more on the wings. How often does he play LW?

9. Eighteen Alpha

Eighteen Alpha Member+

Aug 17, 2016
    Club:
    Stoke City FC
    Kwelle is left footed and plays primarily LAM or LW. Perez is left footed but plays as an inverted RW. And I agree Josh is the best option on the right.

Gacm32 repped this.
  10. Bob Morocco

Bob Morocco Member+

Aug 11, 2003
    Billings, MT
    Good, I had only seen him play RW or AM.

11. Eighteen Alpha

Eighteen Alpha Member+

Aug 17, 2016
    Club:
    Stoke City FC
    Stayed on the bench as Villarreal battled for a 3 - 3 draw against Orihuela.

Seems like every time Akale gets extra media coverage, he gets benched.

guido.jpg

Winoman repped this.
  12. Giggsy1986

Giggsy1986 Member+

Jan 27, 2014
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    #1212 Giggsy1986, Mar 20, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 20, 2017
    The people who don't think he deserves a call up haven't watched him play. We forget that he captained and starred for the U-18 team over it's two year cycle.

More importantly I am now officially a life long fan of Villareal. My entire experience and communication with them has been nothing but first class. When listening to the interview you feel that they are 100% focused on developing the individual within their belief system.

When I have talked to journalists and fans of Villareal they all Love Mukwelle and think he will be a fantastic first team player but they all have said why rush him? there is no need. They have also shared the same sentiment of Dario.

This is the perfect environment for development an example every MLS academy should look too.

sXeWesley, Gacm32, chrome_vapors and 2 others repped this.
  13. Giggsy1986

Giggsy1986 Member+

Jan 27, 2014
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Kwelle has also made his first team debut and is currently playing at a proffesional level. Perez is playing at a youth level that Mukwelle played at last year.

14. Bob Morocco

Bob Morocco Member+

Aug 11, 2003
    Billings, MT
    League game? Cup match?

15. Eighteen Alpha

Eighteen Alpha Member+

Aug 17, 2016
    Club:
    Stoke City FC
    Pre-season friendly. Otherwise he would be in the main forum. He played about thirty minutes this summer in a loss to Leganés. Didn't look out of place.

16. Bob Morocco

Bob Morocco Member+

Aug 11, 2003
    Billings, MT
    So not a debut.

17. Eighteen Alpha

Eighteen Alpha Member+

Aug 17, 2016
    Club:
    Stoke City FC
    No. But there's no stopping Giggsy's hype train :)

superdave repped this.
  18. Giggsy1986

Giggsy1986 Member+

Jan 27, 2014
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    hahah it's not my fault that I get excited about a left footed attacking player with the pace, skill, creativity, and soccer brain that Mukwelle has.

None of our current list of prospects excluding Christian has that ability and to top it off he is developing in a top four Spanish league system. No other American player in history has done that.

Also, the people ripping on the kid with little to no knowledge of him need to be put in their place.

sXeWesley and Eighteen Alpha repped this.
  19. Sizmik

Sizmik Member+

Dec 21, 2011
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You really gotta give up that fight, CP is miles ahead of Akale. Akale is 5 foot nothing, its holding him back and it always will. I like the kid as a prospect but at some point you are going to have to come to the realization that he's not as good as you want him to be.

bballshawn repped this.
  20. Giggsy1986

Giggsy1986 Member+

Jan 27, 2014
    Club:
    Manchester United FC

HAHA my point exactly. How much have you watched him play?

21. Sizmik

Sizmik Member+

Dec 21, 2011
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As much as possible without going to Vil C games....I like his game man but at some point he's going to have to take the next step....kids don't get held back because they are good enough, he's at the age right now that if he's the prospect you believe him to be he should be getting exposure. I hope you are right but.....it's looking like he's slowed

22. Sizmik

Sizmik Member+

Dec 21, 2011
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's not like Vil is just crushing it and doesn't have time to play their promising youth players. They are in 5th, 7 points behind AM, CL football looking grim.....it's late in the season, he should be getting looks if he's the guy you think he is

23. Balerion

Balerion Member+

Aug 5, 2006
    Roslindale, MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Who's ripping on Akale?

Why are you so defensive and hostile all the time?

24. Sizmik

Sizmik Member+

Dec 21, 2011
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Josh Perez says hello, he's all of what you've said....he resides in the yanks abroad proper thread

Pl@ymaker repped this.