Mukwelle Akale at Villarreal

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by Mario Balotelli, Apr 25, 2014.

1. bshredder

bshredder BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 23, 1999
    Club:
    Millwall FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is a stereotype that will never die.. despite the reality.

2. TerceraFan

TerceraFan Red Card

Levante
    United States
    Jan 17, 2019
    Stereotype as in what's perceived from youth coaches. media or fans evaluating talent?

My favorite players of all time Xavi, Iniesta, Pirlo, etc. were all very small.

3. kruck

kruck Member+

Jan 12, 2008
    Houston, TX
    Club:
    SV Werder Bremen
    I'm not sure what you mean... Landon Donovan (5'8) and Christian Pulisic (5'8) along with Clint Dempsey (6'1) are considered probably the two best attackers the U.S. game has ever produced. They were both recognized at an early age despite being short and slight.

4. bsky22

bsky22 Member+

Dec 8, 2003
    Davies hasnt done anything yet. Im pretty sure Green made their bench and we all know he sucks. Good thing he got out before stalling.

Davies is likely to grow into solid player. I wonder if Vancouver learned something after not developing Manneh into the player he could have been. Davies matured early and was also physically gifted like just about every teenager that made an impact in MLS. Given that he us Canadian, why is he being discussed in this thread.

On another note, do know why american reporters dont do more in terms of getting a real story on players like Akale and Hyndman. I'd think a lot people around here would be hearing from players situations from the source rather than reading people make stuff up here.

5. Pegasus

Pegasus Member+

Apr 20, 1999
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I really wanted to comment that I hope Akale moves up quickly and fills a badly needed void for the US team but I can't help but wonder how I never noticed that a kid from Welcome Back Kotter was in our national team discussion.

6. bsky22

bsky22 Member+

Dec 8, 2003
    It used to be true but looks to be changing. You have to realize that many of the folks around here are very insecure and become very reactive at the slightest comment that could be construed negatively. We have many unskilled big and/or fast players on our world cup teams. Wolff, Cobi Jones, Hejduk, Beasley, McBride, Findley, Buddle, etc. Much Wood and Altidore's games are from their speed, workrate, and/or size/strength. I almost forgot to give a shout out to Gyasi Zardes, I dont think anybody would call him a technical except maybe himself.

An additional problem was the quality of MLS wasnt that great and very physical. The league has improved dramatically, but so far it has been based on importing foreign attacking players. This has often meant that stronger and more physical players have been preferred by coaches.

I'd say that we have started produce more technical players lately but they are say 22 yo old or younger.

7. TerceraFan

TerceraFan Red Card

Levante
    United States
    Jan 17, 2019
    Very interesting developments with Villarreal in the relegation zone. This would be like Everton or Tottenham being in a relegation zone.

With the Villarreal B dominating as much as they are they look a look or second division promotion. That actually cannot happen if Villarreal gets relegated. If that happens who knows what happens with the Villarreal squad, the B team is loaded with talent and the A group has a lot of players older than 27...........interesting times.

8. TerceraFan

TerceraFan Red Card

Levante
    United States
    Jan 17, 2019
    I believe from what I have heard in and around the yellow submarine that this is how Villarreal views most of their talent. MR. Lingaard and Mr. Akale have very similar games in my opinion. I do not know for sure but I would not be surprised if this is how he is viewed by them.

Dirt McGirt, Winoman and TJFtbl repped this.
  9. DirectK

DirectK Member

United States
    Jun 27, 2018
    Honest question: Is it normal for players Villarreal considers likely to have an impact with the first team to be averaging ~40 mins a game for the B team at 22? Not to mention being on the bench for several?

10. TerceraFan

TerceraFan Red Card

Levante
    United States
    Jan 17, 2019
    You'd have to ask the coach - all I know is that they signed him to a sizeable two year deal last summer and he has a rather large release clause.

11. luvdagame

luvdagame Member+

Jul 6, 2000
    frankburgers repped this.
  12. mattjo

mattjo Member+

Feb 3, 2001
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There are a number of players in the A squad that came up through their farm system. Most were getting matches prior to being 21, although a couple did establish themselves with the A team at around 22. In short, probably not typical for a player of Akale's age to make the A team, but there are always the rare late bloomer.

Mario Gaspar Perez primarily played with the B team until he was 20. By 21 he was with the A team full tine.

Gerard Moreno was with the C team at 19; The B team at 21; Loaned out at 22; and with the A team by 23. He made his A team debut at age 20.

Jaume Costa played with the B team until he was 22. Made his A team debut at age 23. (probably closet to Akale's situation)

Manuel Trigueros played with the C team at 19; the B team at 20; and the A team at 21. That said, Villareal was in the 2nd division when he made his A team debut.

Miguelon played with the C team at 19; the B team until he was 21;

Alfonso Pedraza played with the C team at 19; The B team at 20; he made A team appearances. He made an A team debut at 19.

Santi Carola played with the B team at 10 and was with the A team by 20.

Bruno Soriano played with the B team until he was 22. He then moved to teh A team.

Dani Raba played with the C team from 19-21; The B team from 21-22; he made his A team debut at age 21.

13. TerceraFan

TerceraFan Red Card

Levante
    United States
    Jan 17, 2019
    Truly a fantastic story.

14. TerceraFan

TerceraFan Red Card

Levante
    United States
    Jan 17, 2019
    We must remember these are all Spanish born players that have no foreign player restrictions. Amazing work @mattjo !

Winoman repped this.
  15. DirectK

DirectK Member

United States
    Jun 27, 2018
    Thanks, really helpful. It highlights a disconnect between the talent folks on this thread are always touting (someone on here once called Akale a better and more talented prospect than Pulisic) and his usage by his club. I know we have some Villarreal supporters on here who say the club is so dominant when it comes to developing young players that it's the best place for him. And I seem to remember someone even saying he should stay even if he could get first-team minutes in another league for that reason (and also, I think there was an argument that Spain's 3rd division is better than most European top flights). It's a bit mystifying honestly.

16. TerceraFan

TerceraFan Red Card

Levante
    United States
    Jan 17, 2019
    Apparently, Espanyol has inquired about a loan for Akale. The source is a Espanyol news writer who i'm friends with from Levante.

17. Dirt McGirt

Dirt McGirt Member+

Jun 20, 2005
    Phoenix, AZ
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wow what a great read. Thanks for sharing.

18. twoolley

twoolley Member+

Jan 3, 2008
    So are you giggsy?

19. TerceraFan

TerceraFan Red Card

Levante
    United States
    Jan 17, 2019
    Ryan Giggs?

20. gnk

gnk Member+

Nov 1, 2000
    Rockville, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think you are referring to Vinny Barbarino (not Vinny Bernardo).

21. Dirt McGirt

Dirt McGirt Member+

Jun 20, 2005
    Phoenix, AZ
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Giggsy is poster here with a supposed close connection to Akale.

22. TerceraFan

TerceraFan Red Card

Levante
    United States
    Jan 17, 2019
    That makes sense, I am wondering if that poster knows anything about the Espanyol rumors?

I

23. DirectK

DirectK Member

United States
    Jun 27, 2018
    Weirdly, he hasn't logged in since the day before you joined....

24. Dirt McGirt

Dirt McGirt Member+

Jun 20, 2005
    Phoenix, AZ
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Duh duh duuh!

Busted.

25. Golazo69

Golazo69 Member+