Mueller indictment thread

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by superdave, Oct 28, 2017.

1. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If you are narrowly talking about working with Russia on the election, I’d be relieved. If you’re talking more broadly, if the report tries to tell me that Trump hasn’t been in bed with Eastern Europe organized crime for over a decade, and as a result they worked for the same ends without having to make a formal arrangement, I would literally be in disbelief.

Beach volleyball players don’t have to talk to know that they need to work together in order to win.

Deadtigers, spejic, sitruc and 4 others repped this.
  2. argentine soccer fan

Staff Member

Jan 18, 2001
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Yes, I also think that if the investigation was unable to find proof that Trump was directly involved in Russia’s effort to help him get elected, it is a bit of a relief. It doesn’t undo all the other ways in which he is undermining the democratic institutions of the nation, though.

3. Cascarino's Pizzeria

Apr 29, 2001
    New Jersey, USA
    I suspect he was up Putin's ass for years and becoming president didn't change that. Mueller may or may not have been able to pin something on him. But the fact he's denied over & over what our IC has said repeatedly about Russian troll farms meddling in the election means that he is totally unfit for president. Remove him via impeachment or in 2020, whatever. He's a train wreck for so many reasons.

Deadtigers repped this.
  4. The Jitty Slitter

The Jitty Slitter Moderator
    Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    It already uncovered wrong doing

charlie15 and Cascarino's Pizzeria repped this.
  5. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    By Trump?

6. NGV

NGV Member+

Sep 14, 1999
    I would be surprised and confused if the investigation didn't uncover wrongdoing, because even if Mueller had hired six-year-olds as investigators they probably could uncover some sort wrongdoing. This is Donald Trump we're talking about here.

Now, whether they found wrongdoing that was A. prosecutable as a federal crime and B. directly related to the Russian election interventions - that's a separate question. I've always doubted that Trump was directly involved in or clued into a specific Russian hacking conspiracy - why would the Russian intelligence services even bring him into the loop of something they were already carrying out on their own anyway? The level of knowledge of his sketchy associates like Manafort, Stone, and Page is more of an open question.

With Trump personally, the big questions are: What was he expecting to get in exchange for promising to tilt US foreign policy in a pro-Russia direction? And, what actions did he take to try to impede the investigation of the previous question? It's likely that he did some pretty bad things in this regard, but also possible that those things might also not be clear crimes that could be charged and proven in court.

Sebsasour and charlie15 repped this.
  7. Cascarino's Pizzeria

Apr 29, 2001
    New Jersey, USA
    TrumpCo. But the buck stops with the boss supposedly. He should've A) not hired many of these creeps B) fired them at the first whiff of sleaziness. He sees nothing wrong with it, though.

Maybe we were spoiled by a clean & "too serious" (that was a criticism...lmfao) Obama administration and are just unable to process all this malfeasance. The Trump financial crimes alone will keep prosecutors busy for years.

8. xtomx

xtomx Member+

Chicago Fire
    Sep 6, 2001
    Northern Wisconsin, but not far from civilization
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Those damned Independent Centrists! ;)
    Or, those double damned involuntary celibates.:whistling:

dapip and Cascarino's Pizzeria repped this.
  9. xtomx

xtomx Member+

Chicago Fire
    Sep 6, 2001
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    We do not and cannot know that at this point.

10. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Trump's real crimes, obviously, are financial.

It's been pretty clear for a while now that he hired trashbags who were happy to do stupid things with Russians, and they have paid the price. I have no doubt that Trump knew what was going on, but I doubt he planned much of this. Waved his hands, said sure, if this can hurt Hillary, why not?

Finances are another matter. He's deep, deep in the mire with tax fraud, money laundering, bribery, you name it. I don't know who could be pure doing international real-estate deals in the places where Trump does, and Trump of course is the last person to be pure. He hides everything he can about his finances for a reason.

He knows that he knew some things about his guys & Russia and that scared him. But not the sort of scare he would have if somebody got hold of his financials.

flowergirl, russ, Funkfoot and 7 others repped this.
  11. appoo

appoo Member+

Jul 30, 2001
    USA
    Great post here.

It's actually a relief that there's no new indictments because it means that Trump and his cabal weren't dumb enough to directly coordinate with Putin and ex-KGB to directly influence an election ,That's and leave a paper trail. legit good news because otherwise that closely approaches treason.

From there it gets a lot murkier. It's incredibly hard to indict someone on criminal coordination in an attempt to defraud a US election. You'd need hard evidence that there was intent to defraud such election - which means working with Russia to damage Clinton or getting dirt on her may not rise to that level because of intent.

Basically, you can still coordinate, have it be unethical as hell and still illegal, but leave enough doubt that a jury wouldn't convict. That's the bar Mueller had to think about.

Finally, are we all pretending that obstruction of Justice isn't a crime?

song219, flowergirl, raza_rebel and 4 others repped this.
  12. appoo

appoo Member+

Jul 30, 2001
    USA
    His campaign at the least. They had meetings with Russian intelligence with the express intent of damaging a political opponent. They were in contact with an organization that stole private documents from a political opponent, and attempted to work with them in how that data should be released to maximize the damage. They indirectly handed Russians data that their troll farm used to directly hack into our election - through cambridge analytica.

All of this we already know to be fact

Deadtigers and The Jitty Slitter repped this.
  13. The Jitty Slitter

Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    .of course they were dumb enough

The evidence is already public

xtomx, dapip and Cascarino's Pizzeria repped this.
  14. spejic

spejic Cautionary example

Mar 1, 1999
    San Rafael, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    You guys are missing that Trump is Individual #1 in the Stormy Daniels case of election finance fraud that is already sending Michael Cohen to prison. The only reason he isn't indicted is that he is President. And if he gets a second term and they don't change the law to fix the loophole, the statute of limitations will end possible prosecution.

15. The Jitty Slitter

Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    Exactly

And that pesky obstruction of justice stuff

xtomx repped this.
  16. charlie15

charlie15 Member+

Mar 9, 2000
    Bethesda, Md
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Good posts by @appoo, @JohnR and @NGV. You guys pretty much said it all.

flowergirl, Deadtigers and xtomx repped this.
  17. charlie15

charlie15 Member+

Mar 9, 2000
    Bethesda, Md
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Worth noticing.....Won't be surprised that other investigations are farmed out.

Deadtigers and sitruc repped this.
  18. Deadtigers

Deadtigers Member+

Jul 23, 2015
    Independent Republic of the Bronx, NY
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ghana
    We won't get the tape recording of Trump saying "let's do this" to Vlad. However, there is enough malfeasance by this administration that if this was a Dem president or pre Clinton v Papey Bush, we would have the president indicted.

xtomx repped this.
  19. Moishe

Moishe Moderator
    Staff Member

Boca Juniors
    Argentina
    Mar 6, 2005
    Here there and everywhere.
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    What does an Icelandic island have to do with anything?

20. Deadtigers

Deadtigers Member+

Jul 23, 2015
    Independent Republic of the Bronx, NY
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ghana
    Pappy and there is a lot we could learn from Island. A friend says there Venison steaks are fantastic.

Moishe repped this.
  21. Moishe

Moishe Moderator
    Staff Member

Boca Juniors
    Argentina
    Mar 6, 2005
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Iceland...and venison in general is pretty damn good. Elk in particular is on another level.

22. Bootsy Collins

Bootsy Collins Player of the Year

Oct 18, 2004
    Capitol Hill
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Who cares? Elks have traditionally been bigoted as all hell. Even their official decision to start allowing non-whites came with the proviso that if it ever became legal again to be whites only, they reserved the right to shift back.

Deadtigers, sitruc, roby and 2 others repped this.
  23. Moishe

Moishe Moderator
    Staff Member

Boca Juniors
    Argentina
    Mar 6, 2005
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    I’m no cannibal I’ll have you know. “Social Club patrons aren’t my kind of delicacy although with some Chianti and fava beans...who knows.

Deadtigers, roby and Dr. Wankler repped this.
  24. xtomx

xtomx Member+

Chicago Fire
    Sep 6, 2001
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    F*ck elk.

"A moose once bit my sister."

Deadtigers, dapip, roby and 1 other person repped this.
  25. The Jitty Slitter

Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    For me the most stunning revelation has been the Moscow Tower (not even directly from Mueller) - this proves Putin has leverage over Trump, and also how easy it was to play him

God knows who else has financial komprimat now