Mr. Kraft, sell the effin' team! Please.

Discussion in 'New England Revolution' started by Bruce S, Mar 24, 2019.

1. Bruce S

Bruce S Member+

Sep 10, 1999
    Really, Krafts could not care less about the Revs. If pro-rel applied here, they'd be in the 5th Division. The Coliseum is terrible for soccer and the field is a coffee stained rug, often with football stripes. They have done about as much damage to NE soccer as one family ought to do. When WC 1994 occurred, NE was considered one of the main soccer areas in the US. Nice work Bob and Jonathan.

2. pwykes

pwykes Member

Apr 18, 1999
    Auburn, MA
    Honestly, that’s about the only thing that could get me excited about this team again. Kraft is always taking the cheap way out - hires coaches and GMs with no experience, won’t pay for decent players, keeps team in crappy football stadium, etc., etc. MLS should force him to sell rather thatn allowing him to kill off soccer in New England by neglect.

CynicRev repped this.
  3. dncm

dncm Member+

Apr 22, 2003
    Boston
    My Bold. This is so true it is downright scary.

gunnerfan7, USRufnex, swedust and 2 others repped this.
  4. Bruce S

Bruce S Member+

Sep 10, 1999
    Maybe we could start a petition. Like a social movement ;) I would participate.

CynicRev repped this.
  5. Mike Marshall

Mike Marshall Member+

Feb 16, 2000
    Woburn, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    1. Who's going to buy them?

2. If they're sold, where would they play?

6. FoxBoro 143

FoxBoro 143 Member+

Jan 18, 2004
    MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Or just abandon the club like I did.

I followed the Revs in the dark early days of MLS. I knew the product was awful and outside of a small base, nobody cared at all that it existed. My hope was always that the product would gradually improve to the point in which we were watching an elite league that I could actually talk to random people at school/work about. The rest of the league, for the most part, has been following through on that hope. The Revs however have, at best, been standing still for over 15 years, continuing to offer the same crap product, in the same crap stadium, while squeezing out any hope that anyone could possibly have.

Owlsfan, rkane1226 and TOAzer repped this.
  7. FoxBoro 143

FoxBoro 143 Member+

Jan 18, 2004
    MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    1. Somebody is out there.

2. In the SSS that the Krafts announced 120-132 months ago.

TOAzer repped this.
  8. Bruce S

Bruce S Member+

Sep 10, 1999
    Calling Mr. John Henry... Calling Mr. John Henry!

CynicRev repped this.
  9. TOAzer

TOAzer Member+

The Man With No Club
    May 29, 2016
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Mr. John Henry is, unfortunately, probably quite content with sticking with just Liverpool..

10. Argyle

Argyle Member

Jan 31, 2002
    Plymouth, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Saint Louis.

propnut27 repped this.
  11. tsb11

tsb11 Member+

United States
    May 31, 2018
    If only. Henry could make the Liverpool football group, and the Revs might someday have all the backing of NYCFC! The Revs would finally have their downtown boston stadium playing their games in fenway park

12. Bruce S

Bruce S Member+

Sep 10, 1999
    Frankly, this is not working at all. Just sell the effin’ team.

propnut27 and CynicRev repped this.
  13. Mike Marshall

Mike Marshall Member+

Feb 16, 2000
    Woburn, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just so we're all on the same page, if Kraft does sell, this is where the club will most likely play its home games.

Fortunately, he's not going to sell.

14. ToMhIlL

ToMhIlL Member+

Feb 18, 1999
    Boxborough, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm suspect of anyone with a drunken Bruce Arena avatar, but you've posted several times on this topic. I hope I don't have to keep saying this, but...

This is why we are doomed to perpetual mediocrity at best, unless somehow Ebeneezer Kraft sees the light at decides to take a 180-degree turnaround. He can't just sell the team. This is how it would play out.

Suppose a bunch of us know-it-alls won the powerball and decided to buy the team off of Kraft, Surely we collectively know a hell of a lot more about this sort of thing than any of the idiots at Patriots Central, right?

And unless we could swing a deal for a parcel of land somewhere in T-range for the urban stadium, like right away, it's gonna be a problem. If we could, it would be expensive, but worth it, because it would only mean 2-3 years of the Revs playing somewhere else when the new place is being built? All the semi-suitable stadiums in the area have their own problems, but maybe BU might be the best temporary home. Still, it's not great, but if it's only for a few years, we can live with it.But they might not even want to rent to us--it would disrupt the students from studying on game days!

Or, Mr. Kraft would surely let us stay in Foxboro for a "reasonable" rent--like what the MetroStars paid at Giants Stadium ($200k/game) and what DCU got at RFK (no parking or food concessions revenue). So how long is this going on? Are you willing to do this for 5 years? 10 years? The problem is that any new owner would pretty much have to have a new stadium plan in place, or at least a reasonable chance at a site. The Krafts have allegedly been looking for a long time at a lot of sites. Cynics will argue that they haven't been trying very hard, but even in the best of circumstances with a motivated owner, it's not easy.

Playing at Fenway is not an option. You may have heard of this other team that has been playing there every summer for the past 100+ years? Even if it is the same ownership group, changing it over every couple of weeks is not going to be very good for either team.

a517dogg repped this.
  15. swedust

swedust Member+

Aug 30, 2004
    I care more about the sport in the US than having a club team to support. I can't afford to travel to the games as it is. Sell them & move them is fine with me: I don't need to only support teams from New England.

VTSoccerFan and Bruce S repped this.
  16. frankieg73

frankieg73 Member

New England Revolution
    Portugal
    Apr 8, 2001
    St. Petersburg, FL (not my choice)
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Any current MLS owner would have to be an idiot to sell now. With all of the expansion fee money rolling in no current owner is going to sell now unless there's an outrageously over-the-top bid, and anyone who wants into MLS probably thinks it's easier to pay the expansion fee and start from scratch than to buy this plucky bunch of USMNT could-have-beens, bargain internationals, and empty roster spots.

The amount anyone would be willing to pay for this grossly underperfoming club in this wildly untapped market is considerably less than what the Krafts would be willing to accept at the moment.

17. Bruce S

Bruce S Member+

Sep 10, 1999
    Why not? Kraft is not the only billionaire in NE. As for new grounds, Kraft has been looking for a "gift" of a great deal or he won't budge. A new owner would take a new look at that.

18. Bruce S

Bruce S Member+

Sep 10, 1999
    You are suspect of my avatar. I am beyond suspect of the Kraft's effort.

19. ToMhIlL

ToMhIlL Member+

Feb 18, 1999
    Boxborough, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    See Frankieg73's post

20. pwykes

pwykes Member

Apr 18, 1999
    Auburn, MA
    Just curious since I know (and care) little about football - what are the chances that Kraft sells the Patriots to cash in while they are at their peak? Presumably such a sale would include the Revs too.

21. rkane1226

rkane1226 Member+

Apr 9, 2000
    Club:
    Stade Brestois 29
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I’d rather he sell

22. NFLPatriot

NFLPatriot Member+

Jun 25, 2002
    Foxboro, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think he'd rather let Jonathan take over/inherit the team than sell it.

23. Mike Marshall

Mike Marshall Member+

Feb 16, 2000
    Woburn, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I wouldn't.

Being a Revs fan sucks right now.

Not having a team would suck worse.

ToMhIlL and rkupp repped this.
  24. Honore de Ballsac

Oct 28, 2005
    France.
    Do not change that avatar. Ever. I beg you.

25. Bruce S

Bruce S Member+

Sep 10, 1999
    Never even crossed my mind. ;)