Mr. Josmer Volmy Altidore

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by 50/50 Ball, Aug 22, 2016.

1. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    Eh, Jozy's a great MLS player and an ok international. It's simply time to move on. That doesn't really amount to an obsession.

The prattle around Zardes: now that's obsession.

2. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    Jozy was a good Eredivisie player.
    Jozy is an outstanding MLS player.
    Jozy was a garbage La Liga player.
    Jozy was a garbage EPL player.
    Jozy was an outstanding international player in friendlies.
    Jozy's competitive international goals record against quality sides is garbage.
    Jozy is 29.

You hang on to old dogs when they are legends who can still produce. Dempsey. Jones. Donovan.

Jozy is not a legend.

And he hasn't produced since 2009.

It's time to give up and coming players an opportunity.

Hopefully that's clear enough for you. Otherwise, I will need to use crayons.

LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  3. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    I will type slowly.
    Based on current MLS and past MLS/National team form, no active USMNT player is close to Jozy's scoring rate.

That's just a mathematical fact.

All of the other "wishes were horses" players folks want us to have can play every friendly from here to Martinique. If they score, awesome. But if they don't, the fact will remain.

I get you don't like it. But I also don't think you are mildly rational on this subject. And anyone who goes to the "Jozy lost weight and got better" canard with 0 evidence, seems to me to have a clear agenda. You forgot the need for yoga and the still-photo limp...

love, freisland

4. Pegasus

Pegasus Member+

Apr 20, 1999
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No one is bringing up one of the reasons Jozy hasn't scored more golas in big games and that is because he is injured a lot and doesn't play in a lot of those games. For that reason alone other forwards need to play a lot in case he is missing again when it counts. If at that time he is healthy and playing the best soccer then absolutely bring him in but never again play him so much that when he's injured the other forwards have no cohesion with the team because they never played a minute in friendlies and other experimental games. (that goes for Brooks too).

50/50 Ball repped this.
  5. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    I've already addressed this extremely trite point. I'll do it again.

Jozy has an abysmal competitive match record against anything beyond mildly difficult opposition.

In any other private industry, a substandard performer gets moved out to allow someone else a chance.

Allow other forwards an opportunity to be garbage. What does it hurt?

6. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    I am not arguing against other forwards getting chances. You may have missed the last two games where Jozy played... wait, let me check... 0 minutes. You may have missed the score of those games.

Jozy has missed plenty of games. Other forwards have played. None has staked a claim as clearly superior... yet, there is some magic player of the mind who is just waiting for their chance...

As I've written at least 10 times in this thread, we'd all love to have a Ruud and a Kane and a Suarez and you name it fighting for 2 spots...

But right now, we have the players we actually have, and despite other strikers/attackers from Zardes to Morris to x getting minutes, both for club and country, no one scores more on a p/90 basis than Jozy. I dunno how to make that more clear. It's just simple division. Google can do it.

7. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    Why do geniuses continue to bring up Luis Suarez, Kane, his brother, Mike, and other assorted numb nuts who have f!ckall to do with this discussion? What does Jozy have to do with those guys? He breaths air? He takes a dump? Great.

MLS play doesn't translate to international play. Taylor Twellman. Wondo. Jason Kreis. We've been through this time and time and time again. Outstanding MLS can be suggestive of player meriting further opportunities with the NT. That is all.

Morris scored a goal against Uruguay. He drew a pk against Mexico. He is a winger and a forward, so should be give more opportunities to 'stake a claim' at forward. Sargent played well in his start against Uruguay, so likewise merits more opportunities.

8. 50/50 Ball

50/50 Ball Member+

Sep 6, 2006
    USA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Jozy was best 11 in Holland, scored 5 times against Ajax and lifted a league cup playing for a mid-table team. Safe to say he was outstanding.

9. Magikfute

Magikfute Member

Mar 9, 2001
    Lancaster, PA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Unless my math is off, Jozy has played about 250 minutes of the ~1,300 minutes that the US has played this calendar year. Why even bother having a discussion about needing move on now? We pretty much already have. With as little as he’s been playing, it’s pretty difficult to understand how too many minutes for Altidore is a problem in the real world that requires a solution.

freisland and 50/50 Ball repped this.
  10. 50/50 Ball

50/50 Ball Member+

Sep 6, 2006
    USA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It makes me wonder what Gregg is doing. I support not calling him for friendlies but subbing him in the Gold Cup final made no sense to me.

Magikfute repped this.
  11. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    And, if one does a bit more math, one finds that despite a bunch of other guys getting shots, none scores at the rate Jozy has.

The silliness of the rants is mind-numbing. Altidore has not had some unquestioned lock on the starting forward slot. Morris, Zardes and other have plenty of recent looks, and continue to have less g/90. At some point reality has to be faced.

50/50 Ball and Magikfute repped this.
  12. 50/50 Ball

50/50 Ball Member+

Sep 6, 2006
    USA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Magikfute repped this.
  13. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    That Polish guy has been a revelation of sorts.

50/50 Ball repped this.
  14. VBCity72

VBCity72 Member+

Aug 17, 2014
    Sunny San Diego
    Club:
    Plymouth Argyle FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Everyone is last name, first name on that list but Josef Martinez and it bothers me for some reason.

15. butters59

butters59 Member+

Feb 22, 2013
    OCD?

16. 50/50 Ball

50/50 Ball Member+

Sep 6, 2006
    USA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  17. comoesa

comoesa Member+

Aug 13, 2010
    Christen Press's armpit
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sargent, Ebobisse, and Weah aren't knocking down the door, unfortunately. I like all of them but they are clearly behind Altidore at the moment.

Magikfute repped this.
  18. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    Was Ebobisse ever in any contention?

19. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    That's an absurdist view, really: incumbency for the sake of incumbency.

In normal sports teams, and in most industries, if the incumbent isn't getting the job done the way is cleared for others to succeed or fail.

20. comoesa

comoesa Member+

Aug 13, 2010
    Christen Press's armpit
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I guess I just think Altidore is a really good forward.

21. VBCity72

VBCity72 Member+

Aug 17, 2014
    Sunny San Diego
    Club:
    Plymouth Argyle FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  22. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    By our standards

23. 50/50 Ball

50/50 Ball Member+

Sep 6, 2006
    USA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This ain't Burger King and you can't have it your way. The pool is the pool, so good by our standard is good enough.

In all seriousness, he is actually good and would be a welcome addition to most teams on Earth.

comoesa and LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  24. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    Should get the start against Canada.

25. yurch10

yurch10 Member+

Feb 13, 2004
    I get both sides of the argument and don't care much either way, but saying Jozy is ahead of a guy who just had the game tying assist in Dortmund is too much.

Sargent is better currently, has a higher ceiling, and is in a better club playing with better players. Anyone saying he's behind Jozy is just looking for more of the same/repeat of the Hex.