Mr. Josmer Volmy Altidore

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by 50/50 Ball, Aug 22, 2016.

1. Bajoro

Bajoro Member+

Sep 10, 2000
    The Inland Empire
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I hope he goes to England and lays three on Sunderland. At Sunderland.

Marko72 and LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  2. ttrevett

ttrevett Member+

Apr 2, 2002
    Atlanta, GA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    When he was at his best and currently, he is probably one of our best free kick takers at the 22-26 yard range. He strikes a heck of a curler from the right side of the box.

3. ChrisSSBB

ChrisSSBB Member+

Jun 22, 2005
    DE
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I wonder how many free kicks he has taken when Giovinco plays? Zero? I agree he has a very good free kick and would like to see him take more, especially for USMNT.

ttrevett repped this.
  4. Andy_B

Andy_B Member+

Feb 2, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If Dempsey is out for the first two hex qualifiers, I think Jozy is going to get his chance on any decent free kick shooting chances.

I wonder how Pulisic would be on the crossing type of free kicks as I have been unhappy with how Bradley has been hitting these overall. Zusi actually strikes the ball better than Bradley does in these cases imo but none of us want Zusi on the pitch if possible.

LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  5. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    And a deceptively powerful short run-up. Jozy hits a very powerful long-range shot. Doesn't try it enough if you ask me. Would gain him a 1/4 step on some defenders if he ripped more often.

ttrevett and 6 ft. Leprechaun repped this.
  6. 6 ft. Leprechaun

Dec 9, 2003
    Baltimore, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If he could be consistently dangerous with both his free kicks and long range shots, he truly would become the US Drogba.

7. SpencerNY

SpencerNY Member+

Dec 1, 2001
    Up in the skyway
    Whilst playing for newly promoted Newcastle.

Bajoro and LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  8. Bruce S

Bruce S Member+

Sep 10, 1999
    He could become the Black Drogba.

Tello, sMiLeYz, schrutebuck and 4 others repped this.
  9. Bajoro

Bajoro Member+

Sep 10, 2000
    The Inland Empire
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm perfectly OK with Josmer taking all our free kicks near opponent's goal.

10. Bob Morocco

Bob Morocco Member+

Aug 11, 2003
    Billings, MT
    Clint really stepped up his FK game as his career progressed.

I see little chance that he's not a better option for corners.

11. 50/50 Ball

50/50 Ball Member+

Sep 6, 2006
    USA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  12. tomásbernal

tomásbernal Member+

Sep 4, 2007
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yep, another very good goal from Jozy. After years of disappointment that he wasn't the player many of us thought he should be, I love the new, smaller Jozy. It seems his touch has improved dramatically since dropping some bulk. He's really a ferocious striker now, with mobility, good footwork and a good touch to go along with the power he has always had. This goal is yet another of the many recent examples of these changes.

13. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    50/50 Ball, 6 ft. Leprechaun and Dr.Phil repped this.
  14. Bob Morocco

Bob Morocco Member+

Aug 11, 2003
    Billings, MT
    Yeah, that fat ass who scored 31 in Holland only scored off lucky donkey touches.

15. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    #165 Clint Eastwood, Oct 2, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 2, 2016
    See all donkey touches from that season here....................
    I sometimes wonder if people are watching the same player I am.

See other donkey touches here..............

50/50 Ball repped this.
  16. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    If only highlights told the tale.

17. Jazzy Altidore

Jazzy Altidore Member+

Sep 2, 2009
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Where is his Sunderland/VillaReal/Hull highlight real?

18. tomásbernal

tomásbernal Member+

Sep 4, 2007
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Don't even start to try to manipulate my words. I have never said he has a donkey touch, and I didn't say it now. I have definitely been disappointed for years that he wasn't the player I thought he'd become--he picked up additional bulk, which magnified his previous tendencies to have a hard first touch sometimes. That he had a hard first touch sometimes--more often than negligible--is undeniable. That, this season, he doesn't seem to have that issue (from the games I've seen--club and country) is also undeniable. And that's awesome.

19. 50/50 Ball

50/50 Ball Member+

Sep 6, 2006
    USA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sometimes they do tell the tale. Guys here are worried about bulk and telling us stories about bad finishing etc... and here is video evidence of him running past guys and finishing in a nice variety of ways.

20. comoesa

comoesa Member+

Aug 13, 2010
    Christen Press's armpit
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's prety clear Altiore was slimmer in Holland (where his coach made comments about getting him into better shape) than he was in England.

He's back in that shape now.

21. beerslinger23

beerslinger23 Member+

Jun 26, 2010
    Methinks a little Giovinco is rubbing off on Jozy. This is a good development. If he can remain consistent then he is our number one option at CF no question. As good as Wood is, Jozy is better when he's on. Ar Jo isn't even a like-for-like replacement. He is more of a Dempsey replacement so they can play together but Wood is more of a sub for good Jozy and a replacement for bad Jozy. I don't think they should be on the pitch at the same time.

ChrisSSBB and LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  22. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    Even during his worst periods, Zardes had some good touches.

23. Bob Morocco

Bob Morocco Member+

Aug 11, 2003
    Billings, MT
    The most clear cut case is that Jozy's fitness work has made him healthier and... fitter. That helps a player stay more effective throughout games. Fatigue can also cause poor decisions and a lack of focus.

My broader point is that Jozy is playing better ergo the results are better. Last year Jozy scored frequently and finished clinically, two things he has done well before, but his all around play was about as effective as it was with Sunderland despite facing MLS opposition. This year he is playing better and scoring frequently and finishing well.

People want some sort of simple explanation (maybe one based on a longstanding opinion of what Jozy should do). It was good advice but it doesn't explain what has happened. Jozy was capable of doing this pre-weight loss, he did it at a higher level at a younger age. This pat explanation ignores what goes on between the ears. It ignores the human element. It ignores history. It ignores cumulative experience. It ignores how talent works.

24. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    #174 IndividualEleven, Oct 3, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 3, 2016
    Jozy is clearly more active as evidenced by the improvement in his incidents. He is playing in the same league, in the same system, with the same group of players. Fitness? He started 23 league games last season vs 14 thus far this season. Yet, he made a gigantic improvement in one season. The most straightforward, most reasonable, least lateral thinking explanation is the weight-loss improved his movement.

25. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    he has to go back abroad. any clubs tracking him?

i'm curious why no Mexican clubs have ever shown interest in him