Mr. Josmer Volmy Altidore

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by 50/50 Ball, Aug 22, 2016.

1. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    I recalled a period at AZ when JK froze him out of the NT. Only a few friendlies, so it didn't matter much. Back when Edson Buddle was an option.

50/50 Ball repped this.
  2. 50/50 Ball

50/50 Ball Member+

Sep 6, 2006
    USA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

That would be even more evidence that JA has not gotten any special treatment.

TheHoustonHoyaFan repped this.
  3. puttputtfc

puttputtfc Member+

Sep 7, 1999
    He played more than I remember at Hull and not much at all the last half year with Sunderland. No wonder he's considered the EPL's worst ever player.

Still, do you believe Sargent should be guaranteed the next 120 caps? If not, why?

4. tomásbernal

tomásbernal Member+

Sep 4, 2007
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm not in the habit of defending other people's posts, but I will say that @50/50 Ball hasn't stated, as far as I've read, anything remotely like "Sargent should get the next 120 caps because X". I will personally say that Sargent looks like he could be a very very good player (fingers crossed because I like what I've seen of him on the USMNT), but he's barely played as a professional at this point.

50/50 Ball repped this.
  5. TheHoustonHoyaFan

Oct 14, 2011
    Houston
    Club:
    FC Schalke 04
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #1430 TheHoustonHoyaFan, Apr 8, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 8, 2019
    Klinsmann dropped Jozy for the last 2 matches of WCQ Group in 2012 after the Jamaica loss. IIRC, Jozy had not scored for the MNT from the run of play in over a year at that point.

Klinsmann replaced Jozy with a resurgent EJ and BS went ballistic calling for JK's head.

I will add that Jozy came back into the team the following year and went on an absolute tear the last 3/4 of the Hex scoring in 5 straight matches, many from improved wide play by Zusi and especially from Fab Johnson.

6. 50/50 Ball

50/50 Ball Member+

Sep 6, 2006
    USA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sargent has big paws for a puppy. I would like to see him play in big games for the US ASAP, same with Weah.

The US generally needs more than one forward to get through qualification and tournaments. This isn't a zero sum game.

tomásbernal repped this.
  7. laxcoach

laxcoach Member+

United States
    Jul 29, 2017
    intermountain west
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    While it's frustrating it's easy to understand. A 19 year old American in Europe vs a 'BL legend at Werder'. Still I'd love to see how much Sarge is learning from the old pro.

50/50 Ball repped this.
  8. tomásbernal

tomásbernal Member+

Sep 4, 2007
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Have to assume that he's learning a lot. It can't be understated how important it is for young players to get to train with experienced, high-level pros every day, particularly in your same position. Amazing that Pizarro is still playing, in the fricking Bundesliga, at 40!! Dude has more years of professional experience in the top leagues in the world than Sargent has years of life under his belt.

laxcoach repped this.
  9. puttputtfc

puttputtfc Member+

Sep 7, 1999
    I know he hasn't said anything like that but I'm still asking. At what point do you reward potential, at what point do you move on? If the bar is MLS production, players like Dwyer, Sapong, Zardes, and Wondo have not received a comparable amount of call ups. If the bar is top flight foreign leagues, Johannson, Wood and Sargent have passed him. Why is he in the picture going forward and what makes him special? I see a guy who can no longer play at the Hex level but had some good seasons in Holland and a goal against Spain.

10. ChrisSSBB

ChrisSSBB Member+

Jun 22, 2005
    DE
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, it is understandable. WB is being patient with Josh as he matures physically and as a player. Pizzarro is a nice option off the bench and amazing he is still playing.

11. truefan420

truefan420 Member+

May 30, 2010
    oakland
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They’ll be closer to 31 and 33 than 30 and 32. Average age of WC player is 28 for a reason. Ideally neither will be there cause young guys will have grown up. My point is they shouldn’t be getting lock time. Zardes is. I suspect Jozy will get the nod in the GC. These are valuable minutes that should be going to Sarge and Weah. Not Jozy and Zardes.

puttputtfc repped this.
  12. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    Oh the good ole days.

Thanks for correcting me.

TheHoustonHoyaFan repped this.
  13. 50/50 Ball

50/50 Ball Member+

Sep 6, 2006
    USA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    @truefan420

We see different things. I see the guy who scored in every round of CCL. I see the guy who scores game winners in cup competition and playoffs.

I see the guy that scored against Panama when the chips were down. I see the guy that combines with attacking mids and holds the ball.

14. truefan420

truefan420 Member+

May 30, 2010
    oakland
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #1439 truefan420, Apr 8, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 8, 2019
    Fair enough. I know Jozy takes heat some times because he didn’t live up to the potential he had. He’s a very good player in a specific role but has holes in his game. That’s literally the majority of the pool tho you could quibble over his ceiling being much higher. People will retort your points by saying he never scored against the best of region and he didn’t have the moments when they really mattered internationally. I’m not here saying Jozy is trash. He’s just not a special player walking into any side, he’s not a player worth building our team around. He and Zardes are not the future of our program. We still have another year of meaningless games and then the first round of qualifying after that as a joke that our u23 should be able to handle. This is the time to give minutes to promising young talent that could turn the corner and elevate our program. We’ve played 4 games under 3G. There’s zero reason why Zardes should have played nearly every minute of it.

15. 50/50 Ball

50/50 Ball Member+

Sep 6, 2006
    USA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We mostly agree. I would play the kids even in the qualifiers. Jozy has looked great every time I see him as a sub.

If the kids need help in the GC, let Jozy have 30 minutes.

puttputtfc and truefan420 repped this.
  16. puttputtfc

puttputtfc Member+

Sep 7, 1999
    I think we agree as well but you take a rosier road to this point.

17. tomásbernal

tomásbernal Member+

Sep 4, 2007
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Actually, I was wrong because I forgot that this is the Qatar winter World Cup. They'll definitely be 31 and 33.

Nonetheless, average age of 28 still means, by it's definition, that there are players older than that on the team. You're likely to be younger on the wings and at fullback, and older in goal and through the center of the field. Most teams in the World Cup have old and young options at the forward position, per my anecdotal recollection. They want the "known quantity" as well as the "wild card". Further, it's generally figured that you'll bring 4 forwards. Jozy and Gyasi (if they are still contenders in 2022) would take up two of those "known quantity" spots.

18. Pegasus

Pegasus Member+

Apr 20, 1999
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My problem lately with Jozy is you never know which Jozy you'll get. the one that's on fire or the lazy one who is mad at a non-call and just barking at everything and everyone while walking around.

btlove and LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  19. 50/50 Ball

50/50 Ball Member+

Sep 6, 2006
    USA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  20. puttputtfc

puttputtfc Member+

Sep 7, 1999
    They sure seem to hype Altidore. How, umm, odd?

21. 50/50 Ball

50/50 Ball Member+

Sep 6, 2006
    USA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You're right. They should post the video of the other guys who have scored in 4 straight.

22. ChrisSSBB

ChrisSSBB Member+

Jun 22, 2005
    DE
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Brace for Altidore. Both supplied by Pozuelo.

50/50 Ball and LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  23. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    Looks like we got a Jozy hungry enough to make a run at the Golden Boot :eek:

24. 50/50 Ball

50/50 Ball Member+

Sep 6, 2006
    USA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    TheHoustonHoyaFan and gunnerfan7 repped this.
  25. 50/50 Ball

50/50 Ball Member+

Sep 6, 2006
    USA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I predicted a personal MLS high. Looking good so far.

LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.