Mr. Josmer Volmy Altidore

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by 50/50 Ball, Aug 22, 2016.

1. smokarz

smokarz Member+

Aug 9, 2006
    Hartford, CT
    I am not a big of Jozy, I think it's time that we let the youngsters get some real chances and start to integrate them more.

With that said, I'll take Jozy any day over Zardes.

2. sregis2

sregis2 Member

Jun 4, 2014
    Club:
    --other--
    it it possible to do all of these things.

3. 50/50 Ball

50/50 Ball Member+

Sep 6, 2006
    USA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I look forward to the day when our 18/23 is so strong we can't use Jozy or any player as good as he is today.

4. SpencerNY

SpencerNY Member+

Dec 1, 2001
    Up in the skyway
    Poor Zardes. He looks an improved player to me and I don’t have a hard time seeing him having a big impact for us this cycle. Maybe he needs to go to the 2nd Bundesliga and score some goals so that he can be declared the second coming of Christ by some us fans

USA-Zebuel and LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  5. laxcoach

laxcoach Member+

United States
    Jul 29, 2017
    intermountain west
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Poor Zardes? He's got his own personal head coach at the moment and every opportunity for PT. The USMNT doesn't need a messiah, just players with international level skills. Zardes is a good player, not a starter for what could be a good national team.

6. SpencerNY

SpencerNY Member+

Dec 1, 2001
    Up in the skyway
    Who are our international skilled strikers right now? We have some promising youngsters who should be given chances for sure.

LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  7. smokarz

smokarz Member+

Aug 9, 2006
    Hartford, CT
    Sad, but true. Our strike force is simply pathetic.

8. 50/50 Ball

50/50 Ball Member+

Sep 6, 2006
    USA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You already know who. The guy who scores against the best teams in Mexico in CCL. The guy who has improved his game since he was best 11 in the Eredivisie.

Altidore starts for every Concacaf team outside of Mexico and for the majority of teams in the World Cup, including this one.

9. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    I'd love to see Altidore play right forward in 3G's 433.

The strker depth chart would be Wood, Zardes, Morris, and Ramirez. The first two have good international records.

10. nobody

nobody Member+

Jun 20, 2000
    Right now, Jozy is our best striker. That's not a good thing, but it is a true thing.

onefineesq repped this.
  11. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    With Wood out, Jozy is maybe 4th.

12. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    I miss that Jozy/Wood combo. Wood got the best out of Jozy.

I think for the Gold Cup, we start Jozy and we retire him after. Let the Young Guns take over post-July. Sargent, Weah, Nova. They can get it done. If not, we play with 1 striker.

13. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    3G is rolling with a 1-striker formation. If an all-MLS lineup were to be used at the Gold Cup:

[​IMG]

14. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    I haven't seen Ramirez play. Is he anything more than simply depth?

15. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    Nope. And I probably have him a little high.

16. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    In fairness to Jozy, he hasn't had a chance to play with an a-mid since his Eredivisie days. This year he has chance to do so at both club and international level.

17. tomásbernal

tomásbernal Member+

Sep 4, 2007
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This kind of statement is just silly. Jozy is 29 years old, playing a position where players play the longest (along with CB and goalie). He won't be 30 until November, to boot. Jesus, just because you've seen him play for the last 12 years doesn't mean he's too old.

18. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    By retire him, I mean begin our transition from him. Just as England did for Wayne Rooney despite him having been only 31.

19. tomásbernal

tomásbernal Member+

Sep 4, 2007
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ok, but Rooney was 2 years older than Jozy is currently, and WE'RE NOT ENGLAND. If we had a pipeline of hot young talent that was already playing regular competitive high level ball like them, then sure. We can wish we had such a reality, but we don't.

50/50 Ball repped this.
  20. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    To be fair, in 2016 England had Harry Kane and a still moderately performing Rooney. Jozy can score in MLS and against CONCACAF scrubs. I'd say we take the risk and utilize our Young Guns post Gold Cup. Still relying on the same vets who failed us before isn't a change at all.

21. Jazzy Altidore

Jazzy Altidore Member+

Sep 2, 2009
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Strikers play the longest? No.

22. tomásbernal

tomásbernal Member+

Sep 4, 2007
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I can't seem to find the article I had read (which surprised me regarding strikers). It noted that while speed is reduced, the experience and wiliness make up for it. In any case, 29 is not old.

Jazzy Altidore repped this.
  23. 50/50 Ball

50/50 Ball Member+

Sep 6, 2006
    USA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Jozy scored a goal against each of the big Mexicans clubs in CCL on a bum foot last year.

24. 50/50 Ball

50/50 Ball Member+

Sep 6, 2006
    USA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  25. SpencerNY

SpencerNY Member+

Dec 1, 2001
    Up in the skyway
    Altidore
    Also, I didn’t realize Spain was concacaf scrub level.

Some how, we’re also supposed to judge Jozy as a failure against elite teams when he was injured for 2 of 3 WC’s he’s been around for.