Mr. Josmer Volmy Altidore

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by 50/50 Ball, Aug 22, 2016.

1. yurch10

yurch10 Member+

Feb 13, 2004
    Disagree completely. Like I said above, I never care about those little "chokes" (OHHH you can't touch a neck!! who cares), slight headbutts (not Zidane quality, but the soft ones you frequently see), face slaps, etc...

However, you wind up pretty hard, take a swing at a guy's lower leg/ankle, when his back is to you, from the side? That wasn't a love tap, it was a ~50% forceful swipe that easily could have broken something. Definite multi-game suspension for a real dufus.

2. ChrisSSBB

ChrisSSBB Member+

Jun 22, 2005
    DE
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nope

yurch10 repped this.
  3. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    Three game suspension, probably. It was done so blatantly that I think Jozy wanted a vacation.

FLSoccerGran repped this.
  4. Excellency

Excellency Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    The disco committee will likely look at the whole picture when it comes to multiple game suspension and Callens was likely provoking Jozy during the first 9 minutes of the game.

5. ChrisSSBB

ChrisSSBB Member+

Jun 22, 2005
    DE
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Could be multiple game suspension but that kick out was never going to break or seriously injure anything. If I were Vanney, I would be beyond furious. I am sure teammates are as well. Just get him back from long injury and he goes and makes himself unavailable because he couldn't hold back.

yurch10 repped this.
  6. FirstStar

FirstStar Hustlin' for the USA

Fulham Football Club
    Feb 1, 2005
    Time's Arrow
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Saw him in Montreal last week- watching his girlfriend play some excellent tennis.

ChrisSSBB repped this.
  7. USA-Zebuel

USA-Zebuel Member+

Mar 26, 2013
    Club:
    Colón de Santa Fe

8. ChrisSSBB

ChrisSSBB Member+

Jun 22, 2005
    DE
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ummm, write your own crap.

yurch10 repped this.
  9. nobody

nobody Member+

Jun 20, 2000
    Not even an attempt to pretend he was playing the ball. I'd give him a red because he never even acted like he was playing the ball. Regardless of how hard, a blatant attempt to just kick a guy from behind is egregious. You can't let guys just kick people when they're frustrated.

Jozy has held onto his position on the national team for so long due to lack of options. And really, we still have the same problem so I wouldn't be shocked to see him get some more time. If the youngsters pan out and he's old news in a year or two. Of course, that is still an IF. He still outscores most of his MLS competition. And while Weah is looking great, he's still just starting out and Sargent hasn't even gotten to the first team yetis still a reserve player. Wood is pretty mediocre, although for now I'd field him over Jozy just to keep the attack moving a bit quicker and to have a hungrier player who works harder up front.

Suyuntuy repped this.
  10. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    Would go with Ramirez, Zardes, Dwyer, and Bruin--among MLS players--before giving Altidore another shot at striker. TFC have been one of the more stacked teams in the league. When Ramirez moved to similarly stacked LAFC, he scored a brace, at a canter.

For the '14 cycle's Hex, we should have gone with Dempsey, Wood, Pulisic, Nguyen, and Feilhaber at forward and amid slots.

yurch10 repped this.
  11. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It was a compliment.

12. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    Eredivisie isn't international soccer.

13. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    Jozy is the striker the USMNT deserves, but not the one it needs right now.

ChrisSSBB and 10 Donovans repped this.
  14. laxcoach

laxcoach Member+

United States
    Jul 29, 2017
    intermountain west
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ouch. We don't deserve squat, I'll agree. So he's not squat as I have him pegged.

15. smokey

smokey Member

Nov 21, 2000
    Cali
    Where in the world is Jordan Morris and why hasn't he made Jozy obsolete?

16. Beastmode21

Beastmode21 Member+

United States
    Jan 19, 2009
    Seattle, WA
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Jeff Carlyle reporting on Twitter that Jozy has interest from Seria A and Ligue 1 sides. Hmmm

17. adam tash

adam tash Member+

Jul 12, 2013
    Barcelona, Spain
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    this would be awesome...if he can get in the right setup, I think he will thrive. (long as its not a sunderland or hamburg type squad)

18. adam tash

adam tash Member+

Jul 12, 2013
    Barcelona, Spain
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    it's what i wanted at the time but JK needed his 3 dmids :/

19. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    Not Real Madrid? Hmm...

20. An Unpaved Road

An Unpaved Road Member+

Mar 22, 2006
    Club:
    --other--
    I wish it would happen just to see the fan reaction. He's been Public Enemy No. 2 right behind Bradley ever since the qualification failure. Would be interesting to see if the narrative changes after a few months on a Euro roster.

21. adam tash

adam tash Member+

Jul 12, 2013
    Barcelona, Spain
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    i dont think just being on a euro roster would be enough (though I could totally see that being enough to some people :rolleyes:)....doing well in a big euro league would certainly change it in my eyes...and if he can land in the right spot i think it would be very likely for him to do well .....(too bad TFC didnt win CCL...that woulda done it too...and they were sooo close)

22. yurch10

yurch10 Member+

Feb 13, 2004
    The two most "indispensable" players on the most failed team in US history deserve everything they get (especially if you score in 1 of 10 games against CONCACAF qualifying opposition).

That said, what does being on a Euro roster do? He did that before and was horrendous. I'm guessing it'd be the same here. And my ultimate guess is he stays right where he is.

In the unlikely event he does move, and in the even more unlikely event he performs well in Europe, I see no reason why I (or anyone with any form of JA criticism) wouldn't be completely overjoyed and welcome him back to the US squad.

23. 50/50 Ball

50/50 Ball Member+

Sep 6, 2006
    USA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  24. Rahbiefowlah

Rahbiefowlah Member+

Oct 22, 2001
    Las Vegas
    If anybody sees him post something for Dempsey, please share. Ain’t seen it yet.

25. ChrisSSBB

ChrisSSBB Member+

Jun 22, 2005
    DE
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I am not one to slag Jozy but that red card was so bad in so many ways for a team that is desperately trying to make the playoffs and given the amount of time he missed up to that game. As someone who follows TFC, I found it infuriating and put the team in a continued bad spot. Hat trick in Canadian final is nice but it didn’t make up for his bonehead and in my opinion, selfish move given TFC’s circumstances in the league.