Moving Forward...

Discussion in 'Rochester Rhinos' started by MD_05, Mar 17, 2004.

1. MD_05

MD_05 New Member

Oct 18, 2002
    Ohio
    http://www.wroctv.com/news/story.asp?id=12759&r=l

"In a move to save more than $300,000 in costs, Rhinos owner Frank DuRoss went to the County of Monroe Industrial Development Agency for a sales tax waiver on building supplies for the stadium."
    -Bills may play scrimmage there in 2005
    -Turf/grass decision within next two months.

2. Joe Stoker

Joe Stoker Member

Mar 10, 2003
    Stokerland
    Thanks, MD_05. Great video. Crossing our fingers regarding the turf decision. So far, so good. Very positive vibes all around... even from the media. The complete antithesis of the Cleveland situation.

3. metros11

metros11 Member

Sep 11, 1999
    Highlands of NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If I was a Rhinos fan living in Rochester I would try to get everyone to write to Frank to protest the turf... This is bad bad bad. Its bad for A-League, its bad for MLS, its bad for Soccer in general.

4. Sempuukyaku

Sempuukyaku Member+

Apr 30, 2002
    Seattle, WA
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Yeah, but the rhinos having their own stadium is also good good good.

See what I'm sayin?

5. Bleacherbutt

Bleacherbutt New Member

May 1, 2001
    Rochester, NY
    Natural turf would be best, but given the fact that the growing season only runs from mid-April to mid-September in Rochester, the field will be a state of continual disrepair at the beginning and end of each season. Even Columbus has problems with its turf (it was not so hot for the WWC) at the end of the season.

With the number of events that will be hosted in addition to soccer, its only a matter of time before the natural turf is beat into the ground.

6. metros11

metros11 Member

Sep 11, 1999
    Highlands of NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Artificial turf is not good for soccer. Even the best stuff out there is far from the real thing. Thats my personal opinion.

7. soccerfan

soccerfan BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 13, 1999
    New Jersey
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

WELL MAYBE HE IS BUILDING THE WRONG STADIUM THEN

The stadium is to be built for a professional soccer team ( so i was told) that has aspirations to join first division soccer. If that is so then let it be done the right way. If soccer is not the primary concern but more so to make money then maybe should build a multy puprpose sadium (baseball/soccer/football/hockey etc)

8. drew_VT_6

drew_VT_6 Member

Feb 22, 2000
    Orange County, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This topic has been beaten into the ground by Rhinos fans already and maybe even in the "Latest from Rochester" thread too.

In fact here it is:
    Latest From Rochester Thread

It also goes back about two pages in the thread. Most Rochester fans agree that they would prefer this hybrid surface like what Real Madrid, the Eagles and many other teams use. This way the harsh Rochester environment and over use of the stadium won't detract from the way soccer is played in it.

Read People! Then react. You may save yourself a heart attack or two.

9. soccerfan

soccerfan BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 13, 1999
    New Jersey
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

i will tell my boss i need to take a day off so i could read that thread, thanks for your help