News: Mother of Exiles

Discussion in 'Women's Rivalry Forum' started by jocasta, Aug 12, 2011.

1. jocasta

jocasta Member+

Oct 11, 2003
    Nat'l Team:
    Sweden
    I'll repost this in here, just because I think other Danish news has been going here, in lieu of a dedicated thread.

2. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Hi Euro-peeps, need a little help:
    Recently the Boston Breakers announced the signing of Columbian striker Melissa Oritz. Their release said she's coming to them from Iceland's top division with RK Reykjavik - but RK didn't play in the top division in 2013, they were relegated after 2012. I did see a club with Reykjavik in their name - Prottur (sorry for the Roman lettering) - in the 2013 season, and I was just wondering if anyone knew what club she actually was in (since I wouldn't be surprised if a US team messed up info on a smaller Euro league). I can't find an official FIFA profile on her, the only NT squad listings I've ever found (including for 2012) put her with her college and not a club, and soccerway doesn't have the sufficient info for either Reykjavik team....
    Reason I'm asking is that I'm a Wiki-nerd and want to make sure her page there is correct. X-D

3. flax

flax Member

Feb 8, 2012
    Sweden
    They are right about the team, but not the division. Melissa Ortiz played 11 games and scored 4 goals for the Reykjavik team KR (Knattspyrnufélag Reykjavíkur) in division 1 B, which is the division below the top division. They lost in play-off against the runner up in division 1 A and didn't make it back to the top division.

SiberianThunderT repped this.
  4. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
  5. Batfink

Batfink Member+

May 23, 2010
    Attilan
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    A while ago now, after reading the name Cankovic on Barca's side of the 2-2 with Brondby, I did a little YT check, and was pleasantly surprised to found this...

Which then left me thinking, even if far prettier than the male teams globally famous Hobbit, doesn't this latest "female Messi", actually eerily look like real deal on the field of play...?

6. Smulan

Smulan Member

Apr 3, 2008
    #656 Smulan, Dec 16, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 16, 2013
    Germany, get your diacritics out! I am inexplicably happy about the fact that the old Djurgården keeper Guðbjörg Gunnarsdóttir has signed for Potsdam. Think EUROs, people! Iceland were hopeless, but their keeper (their *second* keeper) was a fearless wonder! At club level, I've seen this woman nut the post and then say it was worth it. If Potsdam can just hang in there for the CL Easter matches...

Romario'sgurl repped this.
  7. gricio61

gricio61 Member

Aug 30, 2011
    bologna
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
  8. jocasta

jocasta Member+

Oct 11, 2003
    Nat'l Team:
    Sweden
    Didn't Djurgården in fact take SM-guld in Post-Nutting that year? (In Sweden there's an organization for every conceivable sport.)

9. Micol

Micol Member+

Sep 16, 2008
    Cloppenburg coach Tanja Schulte as good as said on YouTube that Swiss international goalie Jennifer Oehrli's hand injury last summer has turned out to be career-ending. Oehrli joined Cloppenburg last summer while still on rehab and never got to play. That's a blow for her, and for the Swiss national team too (although Gaëlle Thalmann has apparently done a good job in the last few months).

(So with Libby Stout leaving for Liverpool, Cloppenburg are now in the market for a new goalie, presumably behind Polish international Wylężek.)

10. Batfink

Batfink Member+

May 23, 2010
    Attilan
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Either nobody seems to have noticed, or people simply can't be bothered to discuss it, but just like their excellent male sides, both Brazil and Spain's female Futsal national teams, recently played out an entertaining, and very competitive, world Futsal final....

This being FIFA's only officially recognised/regulated form of the indoor 5v5 game, I do wonder if they have a vision for improving the female side of this game now, to eventually push for the sport to have future Olympic committee recognition...?

11. debzy

debzy Member+

May 26, 2009
    paris
    Club:
    Paris Saint Germain FC
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    I think nobody cares....looool....Personally I don't like it . In France we have some kind of tournament but they are school/university competition , we have a national futsal team too but is composed by D1/D2 players ....I know in Italy ,Spain and Portugal they liked it very much and have organised championships but I don't think they are the only one in Europe :rolleyes: .

12. Batfink

Batfink Member+

May 23, 2010
    Attilan
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Heyyy, does this mean that we can empathise with all the other peoples out there, who clearly have the same feelings towards the ever increasing exposure for the 11 vs 11 women's football debate lol...:confused:
    I think Futsal is actually the truest test for any young footballers technique, and has been at the early foundation for some of the outdoor games all time greatest too, so I wouldn't be that surprised to see it become even more important/popular globally, in the future cost effective development of both young male/female footballing talent.

Plus, with all FIFA's recent work, I can see them eventually pushing for Futsal attaining Olympic inclusion at some point in the not so distant future...:whistling:

gricio61 repped this.
  13. debzy

debzy Member+

May 26, 2009
    paris
    Club:
    Paris Saint Germain FC
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    Yes you can be right but it's an individual choice ....some choose to start with futsal , others directly with "true" (lol... I am joking , or not ...:D) football . It's debatable because if futsal certainly help a lot on ball control , dribbling etc....well all the technical side minus the header for obvious reason....it doesn't help on football IQ , decision making , movement off the ball etc....(don't forget there is no offside in futsal)essential part of the game . Not really related to futsal but in France we have a debate between those we believe that young girls should play with boys to improve others believe in all girls teams since young age....

14. guignol

guignol Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 28, 2005
    mermoz-les-boss
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    well, they have beach volleyball and synchronized diving so what the hell... who cares anyway?

15. debzy

debzy Member+

May 26, 2009
    paris
    Club:
    Paris Saint Germain FC
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    They have golf now too.....:laugh::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:....Golf at the olympics ???:eek::eek:...com'on , that's not a sport !

16. Batfink

Batfink Member+

May 23, 2010
    Attilan
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    LOL, obviously you don't get to see much Futsal being played..o_O, but the movement of it's players trying to find space on such a small court, is always seriously impressive to see being done at full speed, often forcing everybody to then think faster than they would ever need to during the average high level football match too.

So yes, being great at Futsal doesn't instantly translate to the endurance based skill-sets of the outdoor game, but the sports superior core technique fundamentals, can be amazing for children, and can't ever be dismissed in the origin story of the outdoor games greatest modern era stars either.

Plus seeing clumps of barley sentient flesh sacks, stupidly all chasing the ball at the same time, as the next wave of future obese dawdler watches on, thinking of when they can finally go home, is hardly a good way for child or parent to be introduced to club football, is it...:rolleyes:

Again, interesting attitude shown for girls playing the niche but complex cousin sport of football....

But hey, I'm not the biggest fan of the modern Olympic ideal either.. $$$...:whistling:, so maybe we'll all be seeing Nascar and Poker in the Olympic plans, way before the useless merits of Futsal are discussed, lol.

17. guignol

guignol Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 28, 2005
    mermoz-les-boss
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    nascar and poker and NASCAR POKER!
    [​IMG]

Smulan repped this.
  18. debzy

debzy Member+

May 26, 2009
    paris
    Club:
    Paris Saint Germain FC
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    Lol , same old Batfink.....You don't realize that we are actually agreeing on the pro and cons of futsal....I think at least at 80%....but I maintain (cause I know what I am talking about :p) that a big majority of futsal players don't develop the off the ball movement that you need to succeed in real football .....different game , different requirement , different rules , different movement , is simple as that .

19. Batfink

Batfink Member+

May 23, 2010
    Attilan
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    F*cking genius! Making money off all the learned folks who enjoy watching driving in endless circles, and the adrenaline fiends finding unabashed joy in sanitised competitive debt accumulation wasn't enough, so lets combine both sports..:cautious: to form a super brand, where all the class of fatal accidents and losing money, can now appear even sexier for a new generation of sport fans, lol.

Somebody should get PETA on this...:unsure:
    Ahhh, I see... unlike the guys, why do girls need any of the technical benefits of Futsal, when it's pretty obvious now that all elite women's football is on a close or equal footing to the skill-set of elite level men, in a era competition is so tough too, that casual viewers seriously struggle to assess the female sports biggest matches, based on noticing one teams clear individual physical advantages prior to the games kick off....

But hey, if doing track and field as your primary sport for the first 15-19 years of your athletic life, can still equal guaranteed success within the elite niche of female international football, your stance on Futsal being such a different game, different requirement, with different rules, and different movement, is probably as truly perceptive as it gets on this particular debate...;)

20. Micol

Micol Member+

Sep 16, 2008
    When I switched on the TV just now, there was a cryptic football match going on: "RZF vs YB". Turns out it's a charity match being played in Switzerland this evening, with proceeds going to Philippine flood victims. The teams are "Ronaldo, Zidane and friends" vs "Young Boys Berne and friends", and when I looked closely, I discovered a familiar face among the "RZF" team: our very own Marta.

The second half starts in about 10 minutes, this link might work for you (unless geoblocked):
    http://www.ssfmedia.ch/ssf-on-air.html
    There'll probably be a few substitutions among the male veterans at half time, but I'd hope that Marta is fit enough to stay on.

guignol repped this.
  21. debzy

debzy Member+

May 26, 2009
    paris
    Club:
    Paris Saint Germain FC
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    Transfers news from other european league:
    Rossiyanka signed Portugal international Carolina Mendes , fw 27 y.o, for six month and Russian Kseniya Kovalenko, 19 y.o DF, for one year.

22. mumf

mumf Member+

Nov 7, 2008
    I believe that, in this quiet Xmas week, this could meet the above definition...

Its a Classic, a full-match video between 2 clubs of Ireland's women's national league (WNL), the 2013 wFAI Cup Final. Per this link on Twitter, the full-match video has now made it to a YouTube channel: LINK

High praise.... but it was stirring stuff, 3 of the goals were superb (at least see highlights at the end), extra time, etc.

Please re-tweet on Twitter, which would be best, as its a kind of Xmas gift to these downtrodden "huddles masses" type of clubs. ;) Tx, its appreciated. (Or recommend or add comment - on YouTube)

23. jocasta

jocasta Member+

Oct 11, 2003
    Nat'l Team:
    Sweden
    Yes, this is precisely the sort of post to go in this thread. Thanks!

24. shlj

shlj Member+

Apr 16, 2007
    London
    Club:
    FC Nantes
    Nat'l Team:
    France
  25. guignol

guignol Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 28, 2005
    mermoz-les-boss
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    and now they show it?

i wonder how long they would have kept it under wraps if they had lost.