PBP: Most Underrated Country in World Football and why?

Discussion in 'BigSoccer Polls' started by mwjppgr, Nov 21, 2011.

?

Most Underrated Country

1. Sweden

3 vote(s)
    23.1%
  2. Yugoslavia

1 vote(s)
    7.7%
  3. Portugal

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Czech Republic

1 vote(s)
    7.7%
  5. Slovakia

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. Estonia

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. Latvia

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. Lithuania

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. Poland

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. Moldova

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  11. Romania

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  12. Bulgaria

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  13. Togo

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  14. Cameroon

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  15. Paraguay

2 vote(s)
    15.4%
  16. Uruguay

6 vote(s)
    46.2%
  1. Lusankya

Lusankya Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 14, 2007
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    The previous "seeding formula" was just the FIFA ranking prior to the draw, so obviously there are still missing nearly all the matches of 2012 and 2013. Also there just was an Africa Cup, so obviously the ranking of the CAf teams is inflated. But it's a good move from CAF to have the ACoN in the same year as the world cup draw now. That means they're the only confederation, that doesn't get the results of their continental tournament devalued.

But we know FIFA, so maybe they just change the formula as they see fit. ;)

2. zahzah

zahzah Member+

Jun 27, 2011
    Club:
    FK Crvena Zvezda Beograd
    Not entirely true Lusankya. Football Rankings took all points gathered by teams so far and calculated them for their worth in October 2013 (NOT TODAY, BUT IN 1,5 YEARS TIME!). So Uruguay has 422 that will count to their October 2013 total, while Cote d'Ivoire 403. Plus Africa has another African Cup of Nations in 2013, which will again inflate their rating - if Ghana or Cote d'Ivoire win it (IF!) I'm pretty certain they'll make the top 8. Europe has the EURO which will also inflate their standings, so a good performance by England, Italy or France may see them bounce back in the rankings.

South America or Asia on the other hand only have qualifying games to boost their rankings. Argentina and Uruguay should stay in the top 7, but other teams probably won't have a chance to make it higher. That leaves Mexico and the 2013 Gold Cup, but their are too far out to have a chance.

1 Uruguay 422 2 Spain 411 3 Côte d'Ivoire 403 4 Germany 397 5 Netherlands 381 6 Portugal 362 7 Argentina 352 8 Ghana 335 9 England 333 10 Croatia 316 11 Brazil 311 12 Denmark 301 12 Zambia 301 14 Chile 297 15 Italy 295 16 Greece 283 17 Mali 279 18 Paraguay 266 19 Japan 264 19 Republic of Ireland 264

3. zahzah

zahzah Member+

Jun 27, 2011
    Club:
    FK Crvena Zvezda Beograd
    Plus remember that the next ACON will fall into the 100 % point category, whilst results from the EURO will be downgraded 50%.

4. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    That Ghana team had Pantsil, Boateng, Muntari, Asamoah, Annan, Boye and Kwarasey, all of them A-teamers. The Ayews, I don't think Jordan can be considered first choice yet. KPV is retired from the international game, and Asamoah Gyan is also out of the team and possibly retired. So it was over half of the current A-team.

By the same token, Chile was missing Isla, Vidal, Carmona, Beausejour, Valdivia, Ponce, Jara, Pinilla and Estrada.

5. zahzah

zahzah Member+

Jun 27, 2011
    Club:
    FK Crvena Zvezda Beograd
    KEY PLAYERS FOR GHANA ATM:
    Andre Ayew, Asamoah Gyan, John Mensah, Agyeman-Badu and since ACON 2012 John Boye (BTW Gyan will be back, his is taking a break, not retired, albeit I doubt he'll ever take penalties again).

4 out of 5 key players did not participate.

As to Jordan Ayew: The RW position is yet to be filled (similarly to the LB position), but Jordan has occupied that spot lately (or Andre with Jordan then on the LW position).

Pantsil - on his way out from the team and probably only played as he was the only defender with any experience as Vorsah and Mensah were both out. Paintsil is on the way out to be replaced by Inkoom or Opare.

Muntari - whether or not Muntari is a first-team is debatable. Under Plavi he starts a lot of games, but Ayew and Muntari tend to compete for the same spot. Basically again - between Ayew, Muntari and Asamoah only 2 can start with Ayew and Asamoah the preferred selection.

Annan, Boateng and Badu compete for 2 spots. At least until Essien or KPB are not playing. Of these three Badu is first choice, so if Badu is available there is no way both Annan and Boateng would be on the field.

To summarize: From the preferred Ghana starting XI (vide ACON 2012) you had 4-6 players (Adam, Boye, Masahudu, Annan, Paintsil and Asamoah) with Masahudu (why Asare or Afful isn't called up at LB is beyond me), Paintsil and Annan not on level and most likely to be changed sooner than later. Plus you had 5 debutants play yesterday and 4 players getting into camp last minute.

It was rag-tag.

6. zahzah

zahzah Member+

Jun 27, 2011
    Club:
    FK Crvena Zvezda Beograd
    Correction! 6 debutants!
    And from the 18 called up players only Sulley Muntari has scored more than one goal for Ghana!

7. posteador

posteador Member+

Dec 29, 2006
    Lincoln, UK
    I did. TIL = Today I learned.

8. posteador

posteador Member+

Dec 29, 2006
    Lincoln, UK
    As a Chilean I can tell you I didn't watch the match, as the friendly was to test alternatives. Just looking at the starters from the Chilean side I can tell you Chile was missing 75% of their starting lineup, so I would not draw conclusions from that match. No Vidal (Juventus), Isla (Udinese), Beausejour (Wigan), Carmona (Atalanta), Pinilla (Cagliari), Jara (Brighton), Estrada (Montpellier)...etc... I'd add Valdivia (Palmeiras) but I'm not sure I want him back in the NT... I want to see Borghi build a team without him if possible.

9. cloak

cloak Member

Aug 25, 2010
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
  10. Deand21594

Deand21594 Member+

Jan 24, 2012
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
  11. StiltonFC

StiltonFC He said to only look up -- Guster

Mar 18, 2007
    SoCal
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    you forgot the "why?"

12. sperglordactual banned

Nov 12, 2011
    1. Colombia
    2. Venezuela
    3. Iraq
    4. Costa Rica
    5. Peru
    6. Russia
    7. Egypt
    8. Zambia
    9001. USA
    900000000001. England

13. Deand21594

Deand21594 Member+

Jan 24, 2012
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    Ireland are very tough to break down and very well organised..these sort of qualities often go unnoticed in the football world :)

14. StiltonFC

Mar 18, 2007
    SoCal
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    and, outside of football and hurling, absolutely absent in Ireland.

btw, road bowling is the greatest "sport" ever!

15. sperglordactual banned

Nov 12, 2011
    No, Gaelic Football is the best game in the world. It's better than Football.

16. b4rcelona

b4rcelona Member

May 9, 2009
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    SMH Yugoslavia. lol. Uruguay is the proper answer though

17. jared9999

jared9999 Member+

Jan 3, 2005
    Naucalpan Estado de Mex
    Club:
    Club América
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    why Uruguay? I think most people recognize that Uruguay currently has a world class NT right now

18. glennaldo_sf

glennaldo_sf Member+

Houston Dynamo, Penang FC, Al Duhail
    United States
    Nov 25, 2004
    Doha, Qatar
    Club:
    FL Fart Vang Hedmark
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yugoslavia & USSR are the most underrated teams in world football... both have been unbeaten for two decades now!

19. Deand21594

Deand21594 Member+

Jan 24, 2012
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    haha well said mate

20. CoDave

CoDave Member

Apr 3, 2010
    Colorado USA
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    France. Since August of 2010 (right after the wc disaster) they are unbeaten in 18 games including wins over Brazil, Germany and England. Their #16 rank does not reflect the potential for the new French team.

21. StiltonFC

Mar 18, 2007
    SoCal
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    the match against Germany was a meaningless friendly. both sides were missing key players. the result was fair, but it hardly reflects the strength of the two NTs.

22. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    Greece is also an interesting candidate. They have modernized the Italian style of defensive play with fast counters on the flanks. And rely more on discipline than on individual quality. A very impressive side, tactically.

So Greece and Paraguay (the latter I consider stronger, all things said). I like slow, defensive, "boring," tactical teams. Sometimes I have to watch their games several times to completely "get" what they are doing and why.

23. StiltonFC

Mar 18, 2007
    SoCal
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    i don't know why anyone would want to "get" what Greece is doing. they are trying not to lose. they are good at it.

but it's only one step removed from watching a dog pant to stay cool...

24. CoDave

CoDave Member

Apr 3, 2010
    Colorado USA
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    Lol. Meaningless friendly. Tell that to either team or their supporters. Yes Germany were missing some players but so were the French. The players are trying to earn their spot on the team for this summers Euro2012 so its a match that had implications. After hearing how the German players and Low reacted after the game I'd say it was faaar from meaningless. Next.

25. puertorricane

puertorricane Red Card

Feb 4, 2012
    Carolina PR
    Club:
    Santos FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    How can france be underrated when they are thought to be one of the giants in the world when it comes to soccer.

[]__[]