Most prolific goalscorers

Discussion in 'Women's International' started by FawcettFan14, Nov 29, 2017.

1. FawcettFan14

FawcettFan14 Member+

Mar 19, 2004
    Colorado
    It seems a sure bet Vivianne Miedema will score 100 international goals. After all, she is only 21 years old, made her debut in 2013, and already has 49 goals (in 61 caps).

The bigger question is, does she have any chance of breaking the all-time mark? The current record is Wambach's 184 goals. You have to think Sinclair (169 goals after scoring vs. Norway this week) has a good chance of beating this, despite slowing down and playing more midfield these days. She seems intent on playing through the 2019/2020 cycle, so she has time.

I think it will depend on four things: Miedema avoiding major injuries, her continued improvement as a finisher (she can still be wasteful), the quality of the next generation of Dutch players (who will create chances for her), and how much the "minnows" improve over next 10-15 years. Currently, there are still enough weak teams that strikers like her can rack up goals. If defenses get tighter, it will be a harder task. In addition, if the women's club game continues to grow

I'd say the all-time record is unlikely. But 100 is almost certain (knock on wood), and 150 is within her reach.

I can't think of many other active players who can make 150 goals. Marta has 105, but is nearing the end of her career you imagine. She only has 106 caps; if Brazil's federation respected the women's team and had scheduled more games, Marta likely would have the record by now. Alex Morgan is at 80, but is 28 years old. She'd have to maintain her scoring pace well into her 30s. Pernille Harder has 50 goals at age 25, but is not a pure striker. Am I missing anyone obvious? Wikipedia has a page for the 100+ goal club, but I can't find a list for under 100.

gricio61 repped this.
  2. Bauser

Bauser Member+

Dec 23, 2000
    Norway
    Club:
    Fredrikstad FK
    Ada Hegerberg has 38 NT goals at 22 years of age, but of course she is currently not involved. If Norway fail to qualify for the World Cup, Sjögren will most likely be gone this time next year and she might re-engage.

gricio61 repped this.
  3. blissett

blissett Member+

Aug 20, 2011
    Italy
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Periodically the "most prolific scorer in women's football" subject resurfaces. :p I remember a thread on this forum from about 5-6 years ago: not sure if it contained any info that could still be relevant right now, but maybe someone could dig for it.

gricio61 repped this.
  4. She already is doing that in the England league:
    Use google translate (for a crappy translation) for the article:
    https://www.ad.nl/buitenlands-voetb...en-16-goals-in-women-s-super-league~abd0e741/
    Miedema heeft nu al record verbroken: 16 goals in Women's Super League

Goal per 73 minutenVivianne Miedema is bezig aan een ongekend productief seizoen voor het vrouwenteam van Arsenal. De 22-jarige spits uit Hoogenveen maakte vandaag alweer haar zestiende goal van dit seizoen in de FA Women's Super League. Een nieuw record, met nog zeven wedstrijden te gaan.

Miedema has already broken record: 16 goals in Women's Super League

Goal per 73 minutesVivianne Miedema is working on an unprecedented productive season for the Arsenal women's team. The 22-year-old striker from Hoogenveen today made her sixteenth goal this season in the FA Women's Super League. A new record, with seven more games to go.

sbahnhof repped this.
  5. shlj

shlj Member+

Apr 16, 2007
    London
    Club:
    FC Nantes
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    Yes, compared to last season where she was unfit for most of the campaign due to the post Euros injuries, she has been phenomenal. I agree 100 for the Netherlands can happen if she stays injury free and the coaches select her.

6. Lechus7

Lechus7 Member+

Aug 31, 2011
    Wroclaw
  7. sbahnhof

sbahnhof Member+

Nov 21, 2016
    Aotearoa
    scouts?

Lechus7 repped this.