most popular MLS clubs to neutral fans?

Discussion in 'MLS: Clubs' started by Eleven Bravo, Jul 23, 2012.

1. RevsLiverpool

RevsLiverpool Member+

Nov 12, 2005
    Boston
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It took your club 18 years to join the North American top flight? Bra-freakin-vo! ;)

2. RobinVanRobben

May 1, 2014
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Team SebGio FC is pretty popular these days!

Unak78 repped this.
  3. baseballbert

baseballbert Member

Jun 18, 2014
    LA, Sea, NYCFC and OFC

4. chungachanga

chungachanga Member

Dec 12, 2011
    I'm neutral; I have slight preferences, but they are just that, slight preferences.

Orlando --- because of colors; as a kid I was a Fiorentina and Batistuta fan. Also good crowds so far.

Revolution --- I guess I like them in part because I feel sorry for them, and I respect Boston as a sports town. Plus it's often a pretty good team, and I like to watch them on away games (not home games because of stadium).

Galaxy --- great stadium on TV, good players, usually good soccer, even uniforms are well designed.

Crew --- maybe I'm just subconsciously rooting for the little guy here, but there's something I like about watching their games on TV. Even that old small stadium with empty seats, it looks cool. Plus their jerseys stand out.

Timbers --- great atmosphere, and I like the unique stadium. I tried to 'adopt' this team for a while, but it didn't work despite great fans. The pitch was too small, soccer wasn't as fun to watch as in some other stadiums.

Also the log cutting is just weird. First of all, those are such great logs and it's such a damn waste! They chop down a 200 year old tree just to chop it into pieces during a soccer game! And it doesn't even look great. Just some dude on a platform with his back to the game focused on chopping the tree instead of celebrating the goal, it feels like his job, he looks out of place. Just my opinion.

Sounders --- great crowds, I like their color scheme and jerseys, soccer is pretty good. I don't like turf. But it's worth watching TImbers and Sounders games just for crowds, especially when they face each other.

5. Nacional Tijuana

Nacional Tijuana St. Louis City

St. Louis City SC
    May 6, 2003
    San Diego, Calif.
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm in San Diego. Have followed the Sounders since maybe 1995. Not thrilled with the "FC" but not opposed to it for other teams like FC Dallas or Toronto FC. It just seems awkward for Seattle.

Loving the huge crowds, and the team and press really have gotten behind the team with a sense of permanence. It's what I like to see.

The kits have been pretty nice. I'd say the green is my least favorite color, but it's still not bad.

Also, I do have family in Issaquah.

6. Nacional Tijuana

Nacional Tijuana St. Louis City

St. Louis City SC
    May 6, 2003
    San Diego, Calif.
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm in San Diego. Have followed the Sounders since maybe 1995. Not thrilled with the "FC" but not opposed to it for other teams like FC Dallas or Toronto FC. It just seems awkward for Seattle.

Loving the huge crowds, and the team and press really have gotten behind the team with a sense of permanence. It's what I like to see.

The kits have been pretty nice. I'd say the green is my least favorite color, but it's still not bad.

Also, I do have family in Issaquah.

7. BeefEater

BeefEater Member

UC Irvine
    United States
    Jul 28, 2017
    This year, it is Chicago. They are a joy to watch and, with the Cubs winning, it may be their time.

8. Bisquick_in_da_MGM

Jul 26, 2013
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Atlanta United!​

Auriaprottu repped this.
  9. MonagHusker

MonagHusker Member

Liverpool FC
    United States
    Feb 25, 2016
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It has taken forever, but soccer is becoming a passion. I now find myself spending my time watching soccer over football (daresay this was heresy just a couple years ago). It started in Europe where I settled on Liverpool as my club and I am thinking of setting my sites closer to home in the MLS (which I followed more this season).

I am in Omaha, NE --
    proximity -- Sporting KC is the closest and I believe has ties to one of the local clubs here

who I support in soccer -- Liverpool

who I support outside of soccer -- Nebraska Cornhuskers (which actually led me to Liverpool)

Any suggestions based on that?

10. fknbuflobo

fknbuflobo Member+

Arsenal FC
    United States
    Nov 16, 2011
    Akron, Ohio
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  11. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Noticing this thread just now...

I'm originally from STL, have family all over the country. Didn't pay attention to soccer until the 2006 WC, when ABC showed several games on their main over-the-air channel. After that, I saw my first three MLS games, all on ABC - MLS Cup 06, First Kick 07, and MLC Cup 07. Two Houston Cup wins, plus the fact that I had most of my dad's family in Houston, made the Dynamo the first MLS club that I attached to. It definitely helped later when the Dynamo launched the first NWSL expansion club in the Dash.

Had some frienemy attachment to the Wizards since they played a SuperLiga game in STL, plus had a preseason friendly versus ACSTL in 2010, but while I'm usually glad to see SKC succeed I'm not incredibly attached.

I did, though, love RSL's underdog run to MLS Cup 09, and of course that kicked off RSL's golden years - plus I had a college friend from SLC, and RSL had a women's amateur team that was pretty good - so RSL became the second MLS club I got really attached to.

I've interestingly also been somewhat attached to exactly one expansion club from each pair of the past two expansions. Orlando seemed like a fun club with a great lower-division history, then also started an NWSL club. (NYCFC, on the other hand, was a merger of two evil empires. No thanks!) I then kinda wanted to hate Atlanta and like Minnesota this year, but for whatever reason, the actual result flipped. I see a lot of good things going on in Atlanta, and I'm still upset that they didn't get a playoff win. (I already didn't like the Crew, so that was just another knock against them.)