Most memorable Bra/Arg moment over the years....(for Brazilians)

Discussion in 'Brazil' started by DerMongerer, Jul 24, 2004.

1. DerMongerer

DerMongerer Member

Jun 5, 2004
    On the eve of the Copa final, I look back and digest THE premier rivalry in world football bar none which has produced superb football, had newspapers in both nations firing salvos back and forth, some subtle and some not so subtle over the years. Fans of both nations in bars can have heated arguments over who's team is better. I ask what is everyone's (from a Brazil perspective) favourite or most memorable Brazil/Argentina moment.

2. neovox

neovox Member

Aug 21, 2003
    Sul do Brasil
    It´s not easy.

The first time you see something, it permanently affects your life.

My first Brazil x Argentina was in Spain WC, 1982. We had great moments in that particular World Cup. My favourite match was Brazil x URSS. It was probably one of the toughest matches of all times in Brazilian history.

Brazil x Argentina was pretty easy, in fact. Great goals by Brazil, the young Maradona lost his mind and was sent off and we finished the game thinking about the semis. Yes! But there was still Italy... And we lost to Italy in a terrible way. So, I grew up thinking about Brazil x Italy as a definitive classic of my own.

In 1986, we felt on penalties against France. When it came to the great final, I supported Argentina. There was no reason to "hate" them.

Years later, in 1989 Copa América, we won Argentina by two goals. It was easy again. In 1990, in Italy WC, we had a terrible team - all they wanted to talk was about money. I hated that squad. So, when we lost to Argentina, I was happy. In my opinion, they made us a favor: Lazzaronni was fired. Thank you!

In the next Copa América, Falcão was the Brazilian coach. What a stupid coach! The shortest way to get rid of him was to support the opponent´s team. That´s what I did. At the time my father was going through a heart surgery, so I was not thinking much of anything. I remember we lost to Argentina and Falcão was fired. Thank you again!

The first time I really enjoyed a match against Argentina was in 1995, in Uruguay CA.

Brazil versus Argentina is always a great match, one of the World Classics, and tomorrow I believe we´ll see a great football exhibition.

3. Andre_Fla81

Andre_Fla81 New Member

Feb 28, 2004
    Brasil
    Bebeto's trademark volley kick goal in the Copa America semis at the Maraca in 89. Fantastic goal. Cant remember if that was the 1st or 2nd goal in the 2-0 victory.

Man, I wish Bebeto had scored one of those superb volley goals at either World Cup he took part.

4. Americano e Orgulho

Americano e Orgulho New Member

Jun 5, 2002
    This doesn't answer the original question, but is something I won't be forgetting anytime soon. When Argentina was knocked out of the last World Cup the headline of the newspaper A Tarde in Bahia was, "Don't Cry for Me Argentina." I still laugh remembering it.

5. DerMongerer

DerMongerer Member

Jun 5, 2004
  6. DerMongerer

DerMongerer Member

Jun 5, 2004
    Actually the link is down, but click on "Brazil Costa rica 5-2 bbc world cup on MSN, and you'll find a link to Bra/Arg, funny.

7. DerMongerer

DerMongerer Member

Jun 5, 2004
    Actually funny you mentioned 1982, because that was my picture perfect my Bra/Arg moment. 11th minute a free kick is awarded to Brazil after a Argentina foul from about 35-40 yards away and they set up a wall. The cameraman is so focused the ball that you don't even notice Eder racing onto the screen at like 60 mph. He unleashes a swerving missile of a left footed free kick that cuts through the Argentine wall like Ronaldo through Walter Samuel,lol. He was at least 3-4 feet off the ground on the free kick. The keeper leaps in the opposite direction mainly because of the speed and curve on the free kick. It hits the crossbar and Zico gently taps the ball in. My goodness what a free kick that was!!!!!

8. Kaushik

Kaushik Member

Jun 6, 2004
    Toronto
    One of the best FKs ever for sure. The swerve on the ball took it from one post to the other. Credit is due to Zico as well for tapping in the ball. Eder ran toward the sideline after hitting the ball without realizing that it wasn't a goal until Zico tapped it in.

9. Kaushik

Kaushik Member

Jun 6, 2004
    Toronto
    I was too young when that Eder FK happened. Thus, my fav Brazil-Argentina moment was when Rivaldo scored from the FK in Copa America 1999 (Q/F). Brazil was down 1-0 on a deflected goal when Rivaldo unleashed one of his specials. That was followed by a Ronaldo goal and a Dida penalty save...and the cup was Brazils.

10. neovox

neovox Member

Aug 21, 2003
    Sul do Brasil
    Yeah, a 174 km/h kick, if my memoy does not betray me. Roberto Carlos is just a little boy beside Eder.

11. vmax71

vmax71 BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 11, 2002
    high desert
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    How about the one in the 90 world cup when " cannigia put them away!"

Brazil dominates the whole game and maradona get the ball late, dekes past 5 guys, passes to claudio cannigia who scores on argentina's only chance on goal to win it.

Classic.

12. Kaushik

Kaushik Member

Jun 6, 2004
    Toronto
    If Romario would not have broken his leg prior to Italia 90, Brazil would have scored at least 10 goals that day. However, that was the only positive thing Maradona did in that World Cup. He beat three defenders and placed the ball at Cannigia's feet who was left unguarded as all Brazilians ran to stop Maradona. A sad day for Brazil.

13. Kaushik

Kaushik Member

Jun 6, 2004
    Toronto
    The only reason the Eder FK is not considered as the greatest FK of all time is because Zico pushed it in after it hit the underside of the bar. Had tha ball gone in by itself without assistance from Zico, Roberto Carlos' strike would be relegated to second spot.

14. DerMongerer

DerMongerer Member

Jun 5, 2004
    Holy crap, I want to add Adriano's goal vs. Argentina today as well,lol. :)

15. climax

climax New Member

Jul 13, 2004
    Kolkata, Montreal
    Me too. The most memorable moment may now be defined by the Adriano stunner.

16. DerMongerer

DerMongerer Member

Jun 5, 2004
    You know what made the goal even more memorable to me, 2 things. 1) My Brazilian friend surrendered and given up. He had thrown his hand in the air and was ready to change the channel after Argentina scored to make it 2-1 and were wasting time trying to run out the clock. 2) The Argentine players on the bench smiling and celebrating as if the match was finished, and Tevez showing us up with some cheeky dribbling in the corner.

17. Ombak

Ombak Moderator
    Staff Member

Flamengo
    Apr 19, 1999
    Irvine, CA
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Is that you Patricia? :p I gave up too - turned off the TV and my friend turned it back on - she said - it's not over, let's watch till the end.

18. FiveXChampion

FiveXChampion Member

Sep 23, 2000
    California
    Club:
    Fluminense Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    How can one forget such a masterpiece! That team was something, they beat everyone on their way until a sucker sent from hell called Paolo Rossi stopped them. Anyone has a link with the digital video?

19. DerMongerer

DerMongerer Member

Jun 5, 2004
    I don't know about digital video link, but I do know that if you type "ZICO" on Kaaza it will appear. What a freekick it was by Eder, more superior than the one Roberto Carlos did vs. France to me, except it didn't go in, Zico finished it off. I'm surprised (as someone said here 175 km/h!!!) that he was able to hit it accurately considering the speed and not send it 30 rows into the stands.

Oh don't worry about that "Paolo Rossi" guy. Look at that Bra/Ita match, I know Italy won, but it signified why they would go on to win nothing at all since. That 82 Italy squad (like Italy of today) had no creativity at all. We could do all we wanted to with the ball at our feet. What did Italy do, they just sat back and counter-attacked. That's not much of a gameplan if you ask me, no creativity whatsoever on any of Rossi's goals. Just 3 Brazil giveways and it was curtains. Ah yes and ever since Italy has entered each WC since waiting for their "new" Paolo Rossi (euro2004-Totti, WC02 Totti/DelP & Vieri, EURO2000 Totti, WC98 Vieri, del Piero, Baggio) to come and save their tactically inept team. Leave Italy and their 1 in every 30 odd year tournament triumph, while we add to our ever expanding trophy cabinet :)

20. Century's Best

Century's Best Member+

Jul 29, 2003
    USA
    September 7, 1999. Brazil schools Argentina and but for refereeing errors (Oscar Ruiz, the Colombian ref who is very respected AND whom some sectors of the Argentine press see as pro-Brazil) the score would have been 6-2.

And of course, the Adriano goal. Last time I jumped up and shouted and pumped my fists so much was when we beat Germany in 2002.

21. DerMongerer

DerMongerer Member

Jun 5, 2004
    Actually I was speaking with my friend and we both agreed.....This surpassed the WC win. Of course I was happy we won vs. Germany, but even before the match the result was never in doubt. It was pretty antic-climactic. With the Bra/Arg match on Sunday, 1) I kept saying: "THIS TEAM has TO WIN, BECAUSE WE MAY NEVER SEE THIS LINEUP IN A BRAZIL MATCH AGAIN WHEN THE BIG GUYS RETURN!"

2) My Brazilian friend had already given up when we went down 2-1.

3) The side we faced had many veterans that had been through the battles before, whereas our side, with the exception of Alex, no one had really played a match where they faced adversity in a selecao shirt.

4) The most important one, Argentina was already celebrating as they'd won and were showing us up with their cheeky taunting like dribbling by Tevez.

And you say you pumped your fists and jumped up? I haven't been able to speak for the past 2 days as I lost my voice from screaming so much after the Adriano equalizer. :)

22. moose8008

moose8008 New Member

Jul 6, 2004
    I have the 4-2 game on tape. The game was in Porto Alegre just days after Brasil had been badly outplayed in BA. Brasil played an electric game. Even my Argentine friends admitted they were lucky to escape without a bigger embarassment. The final score was totally misleading. Arg scored a fluke goal with seconds left in the first half and scored one in the last minute of the game with the score 4-1. Brasil also had two goals incorrectly called back. Rivaldo had the first hat-trick vs. Arg. since Pele in a 5-2 victory in 1963. Ronaldo of course matched that feat in the 3-1 victory last month.

As for the original question, most of my favorites have already been stated. The two WC victories (1974 and 1982) were special. The '82 game was more competitive than people think. I have a tape of that game. Argentina played well and had its chances. Brasil played more in the counter-attack and had many beautiful moments. I also remember a friendly in 1994 in Recife. Brasil won 2-0. Romario and Maradona did not play. Bebeto scored both goals. This was Ronaldo's debut with Brasil. BTW, Maradona's first game vs. Bra was in the 1979 CA. Brasil won 2-1 with Zico scoring the winning goal.

But my favorite has to be the 1989 CA. Over 100,000 fans at the Maracana going wild, Brasil completely dominated an Arg. team with Maradona, Cannigia and co. Bebeto scored that classic volley. Romario got the second. 2-0 Final.
    A few more interesting notes (I can talk about this rivalry all day). The only meeting in the olympics occured in 1988. Brasil 1-0 Arg. Another memorable game was the 1983 U-20 Final in Azteca Stadium. Over 100,000 fans showed up for a Youth game. Brasil 1-0 Arg. These are the game I remember. My father has even better stories from the 1950's and 1960's