Most Heart breaking Azzurri loss?

Discussion in 'Italy: National Teams' started by little airplane, Jun 9, 2014.

1. little airplane

little airplane Red Card

Jun 5, 2014
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Brazil 94 loss hurt but I never expected us to win that. France euro 2000 final where DP missed two sitters and we choked was the worst loss I've ever experienced. Korea 2002 I also went ballistic.

2. Waliatiger

Waliatiger Member+

Jul 1, 2013
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Not an Italy fan but I suspect Euro 2000, WC 2002 and Italia WC 1990.

3. ronaldo99

ronaldo99 Member

Jul 21, 2008
    euro 2000 for me. I thought we had won it.

4. jerrito

jerrito Member+

Jun 22, 2006
    America
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Interesting timing for such a post.

Romanista_NYC and forza_azzurri repped this.
  5. 'Uaglio

'Uaglio Member+

Jun 8, 2004
    NYC
    Yes, can we delete this thread? We need positive vibes and thinking on the eve of the WC. These are good threads later in the summer.

jerrito repped this.
  6. little airplane

little airplane Red Card

Jun 5, 2014
    Club:
    AC Milan
    The level of idiocy on these forums has hit an all time high:confused:

7. 'Uaglio

'Uaglio Member+

Jun 8, 2004
    NYC
    Ok, so maybe thread deletion was a bit too severe :) I just don't see the need to open old wounds about Italia 90, USA 94, Euro 2000, or WC2002 a few days before our debut game.

jerrito repped this.
  8. indestructible

indestructible Member+

SSC Napoli
    Jan 14, 2007
    Mercato Professor
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Getting humiliated in 2012 was rough for me

9. jerrito

jerrito Member+

Jun 22, 2006
    America
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Perhaps we should discuss the Superga disaster while we are at it.

10. gumbacicc

gumbacicc Member+

Dec 7, 2004
    USA
    Going out in Korea 2002 based on the acts of an "official" was the hardest one for me to swallow. It hurt even more after we found out what a true piece of shit Byron Moreno was after the World Cup, most notably when he was imprisoned for attempting to smuggle drugs into the U.S.

metallicaband and jerrito repped this.
  11. Waliatiger

Waliatiger Member+

Jul 1, 2013
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    No shame the result was not fair Italy was much better then a 4-0 result. But making it to a final nonetheless was a great accomplishment.

jerrito repped this.
  12. Romanista_NYC

Romanista_NYC Member

Jun 19, 2006
    Basel, Switzerland
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    So what's the point of this thread before the games start? To ease the impact of going out in this tournament? i.e. "at least it's not as bad as that time when..."
    ?

Just trying to understand the timing here too.

jerrito repped this.
  13. indestructible

indestructible Member+

SSC Napoli
    Jan 14, 2007
    Mercato Professor
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    God who cares. Don't like a thread, don't post in it

14. paa10

paa10 Member

Jun 9, 2014
    stop being superstitious, nothing wrong with discussing this. Korea in 2002 was worst for me, I was 14 and played soccer in high school so i had looked forward to that so much.I remember me and my friends stayed up all night playing fifa and chugging soda to stay up, we watched the first game at 2am for a bit, played fifa and passed out thinkig for some reason the game started at 6:45 AM, my dad woke us up at 7:15 am and alerted us that the game was on and when we turned it on it was in over time, saw the disallowed goal and the winner by them.. It was like a punch in the guy, I remember seeing our defender with a bandage on his head after being busted open and pissed that i had missed such a great game. Those were the days... we actually had practice that day which made it all the more sombering.

15. paa10

paa10 Member

Jun 9, 2014
    Soccer was so good back then, all the heroes were in their prime, the cleats were the best, the original predators were really special. Uniforms were clean, badges were not giant like they are, and those nike commercials in the cage were insane. Today, these players look like rodeo clowns with these cleats that look like they belong in japanese street culture, the uniforms are less classy and more flashy, and the commercials just don't have it. In fact, it seems like the commercials are non existant in the states.

16. el napulitan

el napulitan Member+

Sep 28, 2008
    < @sals mom crew >
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    1990 semi final, took me about 2 years to get over that

17. totti fan

totti fan Red Card

Jun 24, 2010
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    So its okay for people to shit all over the players they don't like in the current team discussion threads but it's not okay to talk about historical matches whose result will have no influence on current ones. :confused:

18. ctruppi

ctruppi Member

May 7, 1999
    Annandale, NJ
    Me too. Was leaving for Italy the next morning. Had tix to the finals in Rome. Almost cancelled the trip. Luckily cooler heads prevailed. I sold the tix and spent two glorious weeks at the beaches in Southern Italy and met a lovely Swedish girl!

el napulitan and jerrito repped this.
  19. jerrito

jerrito Member+

Jun 22, 2006
    America
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy

A happy ending. :inlove:

20. Daei_10

Daei_10 Member+

Aug 22, 2007
    LA, California
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hmmm.....tough one to choose....i became an Italy fan due to Baggio, Schillacci and Juve when i was 10 so 1990 was my first world cup. i was devasted at that lame ass goal zenga let in against argentina in the semis. that world cup was truly italy's to take.

Euro 2012 was the hardest for me to swallow honestly, not because of the scoreline but the fact that it seemed like it was not the day for the team....prandelli chose the wrong players, chiellini got injured, forced sub....then for his last sub he brings in freakin THIAGO MOTTA !!!! you are down 2-0 against spain and you bringin MOTTA to save the day ???? especially when he hadnt played since what? the group stages ?? just too many things he did wrong there...first game was the right formation, he switched it for no reason, then put injured chiellini at LB which balzaretti did a fine job in. Then it pissed me off that Spain was actually trying to run up the scoreline, it was very unclassy of them. i actually used to like spain and the barca players til that day, i lost respect.

21. Calabrese5

Calabrese5 Member

Jun 9, 2014
    Vancouver, Canada
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    For me it was definetely 2002

We had no business losing that game to quelli che mangiono i cane

honourable mention to Euro 2008 penalties loss to Spain.... no pirlo or gattuso for that match... and still the loss was tough cause there was still chances to win.. if only Camoranesi or Di Natale had any finish on that day.

22. little airplane

little airplane Red Card

Jun 5, 2014
    Club:
    AC Milan
    That was a hard loss. As you said we had 2 important players out. Canna failed to go because of injury, that hurt. I feel if Pirlo played we would have won that game and went on to win the final.

23. Calabrese5

Calabrese5 Member

Jun 9, 2014
    Vancouver, Canada
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    100% different game..

as we all saw in 2010... when Pirlo came on in the last 25-30 mins or whatever it was in the final game... total different team

little airplane repped this.
  24. little airplane

little airplane Red Card

Jun 5, 2014
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Yep. Agreed. 1998 qtr final loss to France was hard also. Afer seeing us lose in 94 and then that, very disappointed. Got worse 2 years later of course:eek:

25. indestructible

indestructible Member+

SSC Napoli
    Jan 14, 2007
    Mercato Professor
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    The 2002 world cup was just a nightmare. A complete farce start to finish. I remember watching that Korea game feeling so helpless. It was so obvious that FIFA was the hand guiding Korea because the Spain game was just as rigged

vesuviani and jerrito repped this.