Most Diverse Attack of all time?

Discussion in 'The Beautiful Game' started by poetgooner, Jul 23, 2016.

1. poetgooner

poetgooner Member+

Arsenal
    Nov 20, 2014
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    I've been thinking about the great teams in history that are fun to watch because their attack was so diverse. What I mean by this is a teams that have multiple ways of building up attack, multiple ways of creating chances, and multiple positions being goal-scorers.

In my lifetime, I look at Barcelona, and I see a team that focus most of their goals on the front three, and having a very clear preference for the short-passing style of build up.

I see Arsenal of 01-05 where we have 4 positions scoring goals (front two and the wingers) but we only played high tempo football ground football, and focused our buildup down the left.

Man Utd at the turn of the century was more diverse in that they could build up in different ways with the Giggs, Keane, Scholes, and Beckham midfield. They could create chances with Gigg's penetrating dribble, Beckham crosses, Scholes passing, Irwin/Neville deep cross, or combination play of the front two. However, their goals were even more focused than Barcelona, since the front two (any combination of say Yorke, Cole, Sheringham, or Solksjaer) scored the vast majority of the goals.

I don't know about the old old teams very well. However, I do read about them as much as I can. Many of them fit this description, at least by their admirers. The teams I've found to fit this description are Austrian Wunderteam, Might Magyars, Real Madrid of 55-60, Brazil of 1970, and Holland of the 70s.

I don't know how true this is, so that's why I'm creating this thread. Who were, in your opinion, the most diverse attacking teams of all time?

jefflebowski16 repped this.
  2. jefflebowski16

Feb 9, 2005
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I can't speak much to most of those legendary sides you listed, but that list has to be lead by the 1970 Brazilian team with Pele, Tostao, Rivelino, Garrincha, Gerson, Clodoaldo and Carlos Alberto bursting up the right side. Seven different players scored in the six World Cup games. Both Rivelino and Pele scored from free-kicks (if I remember correctly). Jairzinho got one on a sweeping counter-attack against Uruguay. Pele scored a headed goal off a high cross from Tostao in the Final. Carlos Alberto scored the famous fourth goal of the Final on a cracking shot following an overlapping run. Gerson blasted one from outside the box in the Final. Tostao scored after a mazy run against Peru. Pele nearly beat the Czech keeper from 50 yards out in the first game of the tournament.

A variety of goals and chances created from all over the field.

Lockeroom repped this.
  3. Milan05

Milan05 Member

Dec 2, 2015
    Club:
    AC Milan
    In 2006, Italy scored 12 goals by 10 different players. They could score from set pieces, build up goals through possession, or score fast counter attacking goals.

carlito86 repped this.
  4. jefflebowski16

Feb 9, 2005
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #4 jefflebowski16, Jul 25, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 25, 2016
    Good one. Both wide-backs got forward, Materazzi was dangerous on set-pieces, Pirlo created chances from deep in midfield, DeRossi was dangerous bursting out of the midfield, Totti was a great 10, Toni was a solid 9, and an aging but still crafty, skilled Del Piero came off the bench. Not to mention Iaquinta, Gilardino, Inzaghi and Camoranesi...not short on good, varied attacking options.

5. Lockeroom

Lockeroom Member

Apr 11, 2008
    It wasn´t the great and memorable World Cup winner. I think one of the worst. ;)