Morton Season 07/08

Discussion in 'Scotland' started by alexp92, Jul 5, 2007.

1. alexp92

alexp92 Member

Jul 5, 2007
    hey guys, noticed some morton fans out there before, already tired of the obsession with the OF on here, so here's a thread for those non gloryhunters. only about 13 days till the gretna friendly:)

2. frasermc

frasermc Take your flunky and dangle

Celtic
    Scotland
    Jul 28, 2006
    Newcastle-Upon-Tyne
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    good luck to morton. a close friend of mine is jim stevenson. i know his son jamie. he's a very good player for morton.

you seem to have a lot of bitterness and issues towards old firm fans.

i resent being called a glory hunter when i've lived all my life in glasgow and i stay only 20 minutes from parkhead. i follow celtic in europe and i'm a season ticket holder at parkhead. i've supported them when aberdeen and dundee utd were ruling the roost in scottish football. i supported them when rangers were equalling 9 in a row.

but now that our cycle has returned again i am now a glory supporter because my team is doing well......?

3. Scottish_Morton

Jul 7, 2003
    Irvine, Scotland
    The thousands of Celtic fans in Inverclyde don't have such an excuse (ok, reason) though. That's why, it's not complicated.

Although lets not let this descend into a OF hate/love thread :)

4. justboy

justboy Member

Jun 21, 2005
    Portland, OR
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    You mean there are more than 2 teams in Scotland? :confused:

5. alexp92

alexp92 Member

Jul 5, 2007
    ok then, i guess you seem fine enough. was just tired of seeing all the celtic and rangers threads on here:)

6. frasermc

frasermc Take your flunky and dangle

Celtic
    Scotland
    Jul 28, 2006
    Newcastle-Upon-Tyne
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    i couldn't agree more. nothing i dislike more than seeing supporters buses travelling down from aberdeen and other places when they have their own team on their doorstep.

anyway, good luck to morton and jamie in particular. enjoy him while you can..:)

7. Benin Dahomey

Benin Dahomey New Member

Sep 11, 2005
    Greenock, Scotland
    hey alex, it's always good to see morton fans on here.

can i ask, how did you come to be a fan of morton? are you from the inverclyde area originally?

this season is looking good with morton back to something like our traditional place in the league set up (although i still believe we are big enough to be an spl club)

sods law though, its looks like i will be moving to sheffield soon for a couple of years (i'm a post-grad student, they've got a good philosophy department down there) and so after sticking by the team through the bad years i'm going to miss the 'reward'. i just need to decide, wednesday or united?

8. Borussia

Borussia Member+

Jun 5, 2006
    Fürth near Nuremberg
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Morton isn't bad ... however, I'm going with the Saints from Paisley as my 2nd fav Scottish club. ;)

9. alexp92

alexp92 Member

Jul 5, 2007
    well i live in a town with lots of scottish heritage, are local club follows this tradition and my team is named after morton. at first i was kind of curious about the team and i did a few webcasts online, learned their history, watched the goal clips. however i've become obsessed. most american "soccer" fans only like the big clubs like real madrid, man u, chelsea, etc. and eventhough i do follow arsenal it feels good to support a much smaller club. its just kind of my thing, most people here are celtic fans too so i guess im different from many fans over here.

edit: united

10. Benin Dahomey

Benin Dahomey New Member

Sep 11, 2005
    Greenock, Scotland
    the more i think about it alex, i think i've noticed you on the unofficial site?

i've got family in florida, in naples, so there is a good morton contingent building up down there. you might have enough for a supporters club soon! :p

11. alexp92

alexp92 Member

Jul 5, 2007
    a florida morton club would be great.:D yeah i'm just alexp on the unofficial site

12. yeroc25

yeroc25 New Member

May 25, 2007
    SF
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hey Morton fans. I'm a new GMFC fan and I'm curious if anyone knows a way to watch matches in the US. I'm assuming the internet is the best option. So if you know of any good websites I'd appreciate it:eek:

13. yeroc25

yeroc25 New Member

May 25, 2007
    SF
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ah the power of the internet. I figured it out. Any way greetings.

How about that new away kit? I'm not a huge fan of yellow.

14. alexp92

alexp92 Member

Jul 5, 2007
    you cant watch the morton games online, however there is the webcast service for all games, although the home games are much easier to listen to. i like the yellow, but i prefer the new home shirt, which is why i pre-ordered it and got last years white away shirt for only 12 pounds. great deal:)

15. Livingston_DBM

Livingston_DBM New Member

Jul 8, 2007
    Scotland
    Hey all Morton fans.
    Hope your season goes well in 2007/2008, but hoping that Livi will give you lot a good game.
    Where do you all think Morton will come in the League ???
    I'd say 6th or 7th to be honest, and dont start the abuse about how pish Livi are, but you will find out how tough this league is....
    Last year around mid season there was 5 or 6 teams still in the fight for Promotion including Gretna, St Johnstone and Livingston.

16. alexp92

alexp92 Member

Jul 5, 2007
    good luck to livi as well. from what ive heard most morton fans would agree that 6th or 7th would be about right.

17. Livingston_DBM

Livingston_DBM New Member

Jul 8, 2007
    Scotland
    Livi having a few good Polish and Czech Internationalists playing now.
    Played tonight against Highland club Nairn County, and won 6-0. New Czech keeper 6ft7, supposidly very good.
    Have fun trying to beat him :rolleyes: :p

18. yeroc25

yeroc25 New Member

May 25, 2007
    SF
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The shipping was more than the shirt, i'm sure:rolleyes:. Web cast is better than nothing I suppose. It'd be great if they started a video stream!

19. alexp92

alexp92 Member

Jul 5, 2007
    easy just shoot low:p

20. alexp92

alexp92 Member

Jul 5, 2007
    yeah i know, the shipping is horrible, but its still quite a good deal. a video stream would be great, dont know if that would be possible however due to current sfl rules, but if the sfl does get this tv contract that they're talking about, maybe they could sort something out. anyways i look forward to seeing you in the webcast room next season. i think the first away webcast will be for the chester match. the sound quality isnt very good compared to the home games, but its better than nothing:)

edit: just a question, how did you get to become a morton fan?

21. yeroc25

yeroc25 New Member

May 25, 2007
    SF
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My grandfather and great grandfather are from Greenock. My great grandmother is from Dumbarton. I've always been and Scotland fan but had a hard time getting behind SPL teams. So I was reading some stories about the SFL recently and came across an article about GMFC. Wah lah GMFC became my team in Scotland. I have no connection to any other team in Scotland. The OF is old and tired and I can't get behind the history and hatred. I was in Greenock once when I was younger but sadly I was unawares.:rolleyes:

I do have a soft spot for Inverness in the SPL.

22. alexp92

alexp92 Member

Jul 5, 2007
    well its nice to have another american on board. i only know of one other besides the two of us. nice job saying no to the OF, if only others would say that more often:( lower league football is really where all the fun is. i also support arsenal and with them im just one of their many fans, plenty of others like me. i watch all their games on tv and im obsessed. however with morton i feel really a lot more welcomed. listen to all the games, know a lot of the guys over the internet and its really a unique thing that many others in the US won't experience because they're always bragging about man u or the OF. i've never been to cappielow, but i look forward to hopefully going pretty soon. can't wait for that day:)

edit: i do follow the SPL a bit. i support any team that plays celtic and rangers.

23. alexp92

alexp92 Member

Jul 5, 2007
    i was just thinking. seems like we are getting more and more american fans, plus plenty of other scots living in other countries, and we do have those italian supporters. maybe an international morton fan website or something would be a pretty good idea

24. yeroc25

yeroc25 New Member

May 25, 2007
    SF
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I like it:p!

I have a couple of English friends who appreciate Morton, as well. Perhaps with a larger international support the FO will start video streaming. I'd pay to watch. I'll have to put in my order for the home kit:D

25. alexp92

alexp92 Member

Jul 5, 2007
    i'll ask about it