Morgan Brian, thank you for propelling the team forward to Gold

Discussion in 'USA Women: News and Analysis' started by PacmanJr_00, Jul 6, 2015.

1. PacmanJr_00

PacmanJr_00 Member

Aug 29, 2010
    Club:
    Southampton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Genius play from China to Japan.

http://www.si.com/planet-futbol/2015/07/06/usa-japan-world-cup-final-morgan-brian-carli-lloyd

http://www.sbnation.com/2015/7/1/88...orld-cup-analysis-morgan-brian-lauren-holiday
    http://www.goal.com/en-us/news/1110...p-brian-leaves-her-mark-in-defensive-midfield
    http://www.arkansasonline.com/news/2015/jul/05/u-s-coach-railed-then-hailed-20150705/?f=sports

Lloyd owes Brian a piece of her upcoming endorsements.

Only 22...
    [​IMG]

2. Dundalk24

Dundalk24 Member

Jul 20, 2007
    PA/OH
    Hopefully with Brian's performances in the last three matches and the ascendancy of Henry for France the importance of the 6 is not lost on the coaching staff and the entire USWNT program.

3. uncchamps2012

uncchamps2012 Member

Jul 9, 2011
    Brian is poetry in motion. Get Dunn on this team and we will have at least two poets.

BrooklynSoccer repped this.
  4. YankBastard

YankBastard Na Na Na Na NANANANAAA!

Jun 18, 2005
    Estados Unidos
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah I've been waiting for a long time for a central mid(male or female) like Brian to show up. Hope there's not much pressure on her, but I think she's the future of the USWNT.

5. PacmanJr_00

PacmanJr_00 Member

Aug 29, 2010
    Club:
    Southampton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Agreed, Brian is very technical and, unlike other Mids, can adapt to whatever role is required of her. That is exactly the future of the USWNT, 3 midfielders who are interchangeable and don't have to play in a specific role to be effective.

6. StarCityFan

StarCityFan BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 2, 2001
    Greenbelt, MD
    Club:
    Washington Freedom
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    People excuse Lloyd for playing poorly when she was out-of-position, but Brian and Johnston played out-of-position the entire WWC, and both were brilliant.

7. Semblance17

Semblance17 Member+

United States
    Apr 27, 2013
    Lighthouse Point, FL
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm probably more happy for Morgan Brian than for any of the other 22 players. Ever since I witnessed UVA lose the 2014 NCAA College Cup final, I'd been looking forward to watching her win the ultimate redemption on the world stage just seven months later. Contributing toward the victory as much as she did makes it even more fantastic.

uncchamps2012 repped this.
  8. Cliveworshipper

Cliveworshipper Member+

Dec 3, 2006

I'm not sure what playing out of position means in terms of the National team means.

Kelly Ohara won a Herman trophy as a target forward, as did Press. Rapinoe got her NCAA championship as an attacking center mid. Rampone was a forward in college and when she first joined the team. Johnston was a forward in college. Klingenburg lead all unc players in offensive stats as a freshman. Boxx was a formidable offensive force at ND. Cheney was a target forward, not a defensive mid. Even Hope was recruited at UW as a forward. Out of all the players, all but maybe 2 or three played where they did before they joined the team.
    And while every coach who put Lloyd deep in the midfield now looks like a complete idiot for not having her as the featured attacker, she was back there for her unparalleled work rate and in past cups others were able to provide the finishing touch. She wasn't a forward when she joined the team. She has pretty much always been a mid. Putting her in the central midfield can hardly be thought of as playing her out of position.

All these players had to adapt or the coaches had to figure out how they fit into the USWNT. Aren't they all playing out of position?

jackiesdad repped this.
  9. Plxix

Plxix BigSoccer Yellow Card

Mar 13, 2006
    Ya that girl kicked ass. Do we have a back up?

10. Cliveworshipper

Cliveworshipper Member+

Dec 3, 2006

23 player roster, so, yeah.

11. Brizzle17

Brizzle17 Member

Jun 29, 2015
    More like thank you Rapinoe & Holiday for getting 2 yellow cards and missing a game forcing Ellis to change the midfield and start Brian. Otherwise Brian would of never seen the field probably.

But yes she was definitely great. I have been rooting for her to start forever.

12. PacmanJr_00

PacmanJr_00 Member

Aug 29, 2010
    Club:
    Southampton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

13. jackdoggy

jackdoggy Member+

May 16, 2014
    Big D
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Kelley O'hara won an Olympic Gold as a starting left-back.
    Kelley O'hara won the World Cup as a Mid-field super sub.

Is Kelley O'hara the most versatile women's player on the planet?

14. Slowpokeking

Slowpokeking Member

Jul 18, 2011
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Yeah, she played greatly as the NO.6 role.

15. uncchamps2012

uncchamps2012 Member

Jul 9, 2011
    Kling is one of my favorite college players of all times, but she certainly did not lead unc in all offensive categories as a freshman. She did not lead in anything. In fact, there is a current U.S. WNT defender from unc who finished well above her in points that year- Whitney engen .
    Also, I only saw Julie Johnston play in person once in college, but I recall her as a midfielder, not a forward.
    Get your facts straight, my friend. We are not casual fans here :)

16. uncchamps2012

uncchamps2012 Member

Jul 9, 2011
    Morgan Brian is a gem,such a smart and selfless player. I love watching her play. I think she has a long and prosperous future on this team. She should be in at least two more world cups and three Olympics.

Semblance17 repped this.
  17. Cliveworshipper

Cliveworshipper Member+

Dec 3, 2006
    Her senior year Johnston was ALL forward.
    You don't remember the tree headed monster? Huerta, Marlborough, an Johnston were all forwards at Santa Clara in a 4-3-3 her senior year. Against Portland that year, she never crossed into the defensive half of the field and had Amanda Frisbie on her hip the entire match playing central defender.
    She didn't score, but Frisbie did on a set piece.

And your are right , Kling didn't lead all players at UNC in all offensive categories, just all freshmen according to whoever compiled her wiki.

And her UNC freshman bio sure thinks she lead somebody in some offensive categories..

They call her a wing in the forward line at least part of the time and the accomplishments mentioned are all offensive.
    Maybe it's me. It doesn't sound like an outside back bio.

18. uncchamps2012

uncchamps2012 Member

Jul 9, 2011
    This means war! :)

Ok , I saw unc play Santa clara in 2013 in Charlottesville. There was nothing monstrous about their offense as unc won 2-0. JJ played midfield according to my memory and the box score.

Kling played on all 3 lines at various times in 2007. We went to all the home games and local away games, the acc tourney in Orlando and their three playoff games. She was primarily a midfielder in her unc career.

I was just calling the guy on the details of his facts. That's all.

Whitney Engen was a damn good striker her freshmen and sophmore years before she became a Honda award winning center back.

Morgan Brian did not impress me in the 2013 college cup, but I think the semifinal vs ucla was probably her worst game all year. I was also biased against her as I wanted Dunn to win the second Herman trophy. In the 2014 college cup, I thought Morgan Brian was headed for stardom.

19. Cliveworshipper

Cliveworshipper Member+

Dec 3, 2006

Well Johnston got the offensive POY in the conference that year and the three headed monster went 1-2-3 in scoring in the conference. She sure as hell was no center back, and against Portland, as I said, she never dropped into the defense. She was often hanging at the midfield stripe.

It was an interesting year. Frisbie, a forward, got defensive player of the year and was an all American for the first time and Johnston, allegedly a mid, got the offensive award and got her second national award. The matchup between those two was a classic.

SCU lost that match 3-1, btw, to force a three way tie for the conference title with BYU, as the three teams rotated losses with each other.

20. uncchamps2012

uncchamps2012 Member

Jul 9, 2011
    Uncle, uncle....I give , I give....stop!