Moreirense vs. Sporting | Liga NOS 2016/2017 | Matchday 21

Discussion in 'Sporting CP' started by fdasilva, Feb 11, 2017.

1. fdasilva

fdasilva Member+

May 21, 2014
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    [​IMG]

Sunday, Feb. 12 @ 6:00 pm local time / 1:00 pm EST

Moreirense:

Current league position: 15th
    Current league record: 5W-3D-12L
    18 goals scored / 31 goals conceded

Sporting CP:

Current league position: 4th
    Current league record: 11W-5D-4L
    36 goals scored / 22 goals conceded​

2. vilafria

vilafria Member+

Jun 2, 2005
    FCP won today. Gotta win it.

3. OndaVerde

OndaVerde Member+

Sporting
    Portugal
    Feb 18, 2016
    Eu vou lá estar
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
  4. SCP_16

SCP_16 Member+

Aug 8, 2004
    Bay Area
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Patricio sucks.

5. OndaVerde

OndaVerde Member+

Sporting
    Portugal
    Feb 18, 2016
    Eu vou lá estar
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
  6. OndaVerde

OndaVerde Member+

Sporting
    Portugal
    Feb 18, 2016
    Eu vou lá estar
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    I think I'm done with this one lol

7. OndaVerde

OndaVerde Member+

Sporting
    Portugal
    Feb 18, 2016
    Eu vou lá estar
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Dost gets the goal but what an effort by Podence to get that ball through 4 defenders. Immediately makes an impact and we're back level.

2-2

8. OndaVerde

OndaVerde Member+

Sporting
    Portugal
    Feb 18, 2016
    Eu vou lá estar
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Beautiful teamwork. Beautiful ball movement sets up Adrien to blast one in off his left foot to take the lead!

2-3

9. OndaVerde

OndaVerde Member+

Sporting
    Portugal
    Feb 18, 2016
    Eu vou lá estar
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    2-3 FT

Couple big time tackles from Palhinha to end the game there. Moreirense was pressing.

Bryan was absolutely non existent in this game and outside of a nice delivery of a free kick early in the game I forgot he was even on the pitch for extended periods at a time. Game changed when Podence came in for him, almost instantly.

Was a closer game then it ever needed to be. Moreirense first goal may have been the worst goal I've ever seen in my life and their second was an awfully timed run from Patricio to give up the penalty. Not his best game.

I thought Alan, Dost and Gelson continued their good chemistry together. Adrien and William were solid in the middle. Defence was shaken at time but Schelloto was pivotal in that go ahead goal.

Overall it's nice to see some of the youth back and having an impact.

natenate101 and AlexJones19 repped this.
  10. SCP_16

SCP_16 Member+

Aug 8, 2004
    Bay Area
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    I thought Alan Ruiz, Dost and Gelson had great chemistry.

William was slow and lazy on the ball. Pahlinha made a huge difference. Should've sold William in January. I still love the guy, it's just time for him to move on.

Cesar should never ever play LB. He is not a defender so consistently starting him as a LB is going to set us up for failure. This retarded front office should've picked up a LB in January. Hell, they should've picked up a LB two years ago.

Podence was the game changer. An absolute animal with the ball at his feet. He's great off the bench, I just think he deserves to start of the nonexistent Bryan.
    Patricio was at fault for both goals. The dude is Ricardo Pereira #2. The most polarizing figure on this team.

11. SCP21

SCP21 Member+

Jul 1, 2011
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    The fact that Bryan still plays blows my mind. Not a single even decent performance this year.

Hasn't been Patricio's year either. Still my favourite player but he hasn't been the same since the euro. Probably needs a new challenge or probably is getting sick of having pure shit in front of him for 10 years. Either way, beto should be given a couple games - he's played well when hes been called upon

12. SCP_16

SCP_16 Member+

Aug 8, 2004
    Bay Area
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal

Hahaha so true

13. fdasilva

fdasilva Member+

May 21, 2014
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    #13 fdasilva, Feb 12, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 12, 2017
    Glad to get the 3 points, but man our defense continues to make stupid mistakes (not even counting the goals, Semedo on more than one occasion just makes needless tackles and gives away fouls, while our full backs continue to allow tons of space behind them). It's becoming a regular thing to allow 1 or 2 goals a game and JJ must be flipping since his teams usually are defensively strong (last year we had the best defense, this year we have the 8th best defense with 24 goals allowed, twice as much as Porto/Benfica).

The "core" players (William, Adrien, Patricio) look so out of it. Adrien got the goal and always hustles, but you can tell by their faces something is wrong, probably ever since that dual loss vs. Chaves and BdC's rant in the dressing room.

Podence and Palhinha look like they are the most likely to start in the first team, and if William and Bryan leave in the summer they can be their natural substitutes. Although I don't like it, I have a feeling Chico Geraldes, Gauld and Andre Geraldes are going to help out the B team who are in terrible shape.

Finally, the terrible run of 4 out of last 5 games being away from home in the league is over, and unfortunately, as we probably expected, we're out of the title race (Draw at Chaves, Draw at Maritimo, Loss at Porto). All that's really left is to finish in a CL spot and start shaping next year's squad.

14. SCP_16

SCP_16 Member+

Aug 8, 2004
    Bay Area
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    What CL spot? You mean CL qualification? Don't count on any of that as long as JJ is in charge

vilafria repped this.
  15. vilafria

vilafria Member+

Jun 2, 2005
    Missed the second half. I was almost happy to go out shoveling snow after that discussing pk at the end of the first half.
    From what I watched, gotta agree that Bryan needs bench time asap, and that the back four are probably the worst I've seen wearing the lion-green jersey. Glad for the 3 points.

16. SCP_16

SCP_16 Member+

Aug 8, 2004
    Bay Area
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    You must not remember Hugo, Anderson Polga, or Mauricio.

vilafria repped this.
  17. fdasilva

fdasilva Member+

May 21, 2014
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Oh god please don't remind me.

18. SCP21

SCP21 Member+

Jul 1, 2011
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Polga had his moments, I have nothing against him. Just overstayed his welcome a little

natenate101 repped this.
  19. OndaVerde

OndaVerde Member+

Sporting
    Portugal
    Feb 18, 2016
    Eu vou lá estar
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Lol ********ing Mauricio. I still have that image burned in my head of him turning the ball over off his thigh when all he needed to do was boot it anywhere in the final seconds against Maribor was it? In champions league. The 2 points lost would've put us through that year.

natenate101 and AlexJones19 repped this.
  20. vilafria

vilafria Member+

Jun 2, 2005
    that's only 3.

21. SCP_16

SCP_16 Member+

Aug 8, 2004
    Bay Area
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Leandro Grimi, Pedro Silva, Andre Marques, Evaldo, Torsiglieri, Nabi Sarr, Onyewu, Nuno Coelho, Alberto Rodriguez.

And that's just the defense.

vilafria repped this.
  22. ---Z---

---Z--- Member+

Cagalhao
    Nov 2, 2005
    CAMPEAO
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Podence changed the game

shame Jorge Jesus had to play his shitty signings all season and Bryan Ruiz

maybe next year ?

23. AlexJones19

AlexJones19 Member

Aug 2, 2015
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Christ some of those names!!
    Nice to see you back Z, you're right Podence looked very good and I'm glad he's had a positive impact in his brief appearances

24. vilafria

vilafria Member+

Jun 2, 2005
    I'm betting that Podence gets a starting spot next game.

25. natenate101

natenate101 Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 16, 2006
    California, US
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Painful to see those names. Add Xandao, Evaldo and Joaozinho.