More US fans or El Salvador fans in Foxboro?

Discussion in 'USA Men' started by bshredder, Aug 23, 2004.

1. michael greene

Oct 31, 2002
    Tornberg said the El Salvadoran team will also have supporters in the stands.

``We've gotten groups that are strong in Salvadoran and others that are Latino-mixed,'' he said. ``Some are Guatemalans, Costa Ricans, Colombians. Just because it's a Latino name, it doesn't mean they are coming to support El Salvador.''

It sure as hell doesn't mean they are supporting the U.S.

2. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I disagree with that. While it may be true in some cases, it's not in all ...

We have a few Hispanic people that are associated with the Riders. A couple of them are even El Salvadorans, and I can guarantee you they'll be rooting for the US. They've done so in the past when we played El Sal here, and they've done so when we played against other Latino countries.

3. greenbill

greenbill New Member

Apr 30, 2003
    York, PA
    Michael greene is right, its naive to think that the majority of those people will not root for ES. You're only talking about, as you said, "a few".

4. michael greene

Oct 31, 2002
    It's semantics, but they might not be rooting "for ES" but "against the US". :)

Certainly there are some Latinos who root for the US. But as anybody who has attended a CONCACAF qualifier knows, it's not many. It's the great pipe dream of the USSF to convert these fans to support the US, but I doubt I'll live long enough to see it, unless I'm alive for WC 2064, hosted by Iraq.

5. metros11

metros11 Member

Sep 11, 1999
    Highlands of NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree that Jamaica is the strongest of the three nations, but by the time US plays them in Columbus (last game) there could be no meaning to the match. This game against ES and the upcoming one against Panama are just as significant as the game in Columbus, if not more!

6. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Photo from the Gold Cup last summer. United States vs El Salvador at Gillette Stadium.

Please count the people in the is photo wearing red, then explain to me how this game got scheduled for Foxboro Stadium.

[​IMG]
    (Andy Mead/YCJ)

7. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Here's a completely different part of the stadium.
    [​IMG]

8. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Even The Fort was more than half blue.

[​IMG]

9. SABuffalo786

SABuffalo786 New Member

May 18, 2002
    Buffalo, New York

Sad thing is, most of those red shirts are leftover Ticos from Canada-Costa Rica.

10. CPRoyale

CPRoyale New Member

Apr 14, 2001
    Adams Morgan
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Of course there will be more ES fans than US supporters. It is either a half-full NFL stadium of opposing teams' fans or empty bleachers in small markets
    (Columbus the exception). I don't really mind the atmosphere the former birings for this round of qualifiers. The qualifiers will stick to MLS cities, and any latin opponents will most likely out-draw US supporters.

When we host Mexico, the game MUST to be in Columbus or SLC (next year).

The satisfying part of this tragic reality is that the ES fans will
    1) Fund US Soccer, MLS, and NE Revolution with their ticket/concession purchases
    2) Be sitting after a '3 min. GOAL for the US.

My only fear is an unruly crowd after the US goes up 4-0 early in the second half

11. shinpath

shinpath Member

Feb 14, 2003
    Shanghai, PR China
    Club:
    --other--
    Hermano, I feel your pain, and all this after Reagan sent money and troops to f--k your country during the civil war in the 80s. And dig this, the USA shirt I bought in 98 was made...in ES. How do you think that factory worker felt, churning out those all day?

Yeah, hope your guys play with honor in Foxboro.
    Popusas rule too.

12. crusio

crusio New Member

May 10, 2004
    Princeton
    I'll be there... I forget which section though cause a friend of mine has the tickets. Can't wait actually!

13. crusio

crusio New Member

May 10, 2004
    Princeton
    First off dude, I am as American as they come. Regular everyday white guy from Jersey. Thats immaterial to the debate. ​
    Our differences are simple, you feel that soccer in this country is going to grow playing mostly exhibition games, i don't. Most of the National team games that are against not especially good competition or exhibition. Likewise, MLS games, with 80% of the team making the playoffs, are also pretty much exhibition. You feel that if you just wait a couple of generations people will embrace soccer. They might. You might be right. I just feel if that you create a situation where the games are meaningful, fans will latch onto the team. Create some drama, have some must win games, a little pressure. These are the things that build support for a team. Partly the reason people watch this team during the WorldCup. It's competition, not exhibition. There is no REAL, not to participate in whatever real competetion comes along. The excuses with MLS being in season are not valid. People here seem to buy into it for some reason though, I am not sure why.​
    You can disagree ofcourse, but there is really no need for the sarcasm man...​

14. Bruce S

Bruce S Member+

Sep 10, 1999
    On what basis can you say MLS is an exhibition?See, THAT is the crux of our difference.You may not give a rat's arse about MLS, but it is a FIFA sanctioned D1 league , exactly like Serie A, EPL and the Bundesliga.Sure, it is newer, not as impressive.But if you were around for the collapse of NASL, you would be plenty impressed with MLS- it is growing and even NASL did not get soccer-specific stadiums built like MLS is doing. Give MLS another look. There are some very good player and very good games.

15. Patik

Patik Member

Apr 22, 2004
    New York
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Am I going to be the only US fan in section 112?

16. crusio

crusio New Member

May 10, 2004
    Princeton
    I love MLS. I have 4 season tiks for METRO actually. I am impressed with the talent on the field. Its very good. What I don't like is that the regular season is meaningless. You can come in 1st or come in 8th and it doesnt matter one bit. No differnece at all, as both teams are rewarded exactly the same. With a format like this, regular season just doesnt thave much worth. It's basically an exercise of exhibition or something just slightly more than that, perhaps. Look now, we are in the final stage of the season heading towards the playoffs and look how little talk there is about it. Why?? Cause what is there to really discuss, everyone is makin it to the playoffs anyway..

17. awparcell

awparcell New Member

Aug 18, 2004
    KC via st. louis
    I admit to not having read all of your posts on here so forgive me. I assume you are big fan of mls and the usmnt since you have even bothered to come out here and post (either that or verrry bored and lonely). It is easy for people to be critical and point out whats wrong or why something isn't working. what is more helpful and constructive is stating what you like the most and what could possibly help the future of our great league and mnt. it is going to take time but i really think & hope we are headed in the right direction, if the number of young mls-nats is any indication. keeping posting and spread the love. usa! usa! usa!

and if you respond by saying i am the one being negative here....well, its probably right, but not my intention.

18. crusio

crusio New Member

May 10, 2004
    Princeton
    I post from work mostly, so yes, the BOREDOM does factor in. But the reason I participate here is to discuss everything, not just the good or the bad. If you want to read just nice things, then perhaps MLSNET is more your speed man. I just dont see why criticising something is frowned upon here. It doesnt mean that I dont like MLS or the Nats. I wouldnt be here if I wasnt a fan. By all means though, continue on your cheerleading..