More than 2 or 3?

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by banbaseball, Jul 31, 2006.

1. banbaseball

banbaseball Member

Oct 10, 2000
    East of the Bay
    Gooch's rumored move to Fulham makes me wonder, has there ever been more than 2 or 3 YA players to be fielded on one side at any time? I would love it if we can have a yank team in the EPL, even if it's nowhere near as good as the french team at Arsenal years back. Any ideas?

...or you can just send me to the old thread that talked about it. :D

2. flyerhawk

flyerhawk Member

Feb 5, 2006
    Hoboken NJ
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It would be almost impossible to have more than 2 or 3 given current visa restrictions.

3. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    For the 1994/95 season, Milwall, which at the time was in the English First Division (second tier) had three Americans on it, Kasey Keller, Bruce Murray and John Kerr, Jr.

Kerr even scored a hat trick for them one game.

To my knowledge, no team has ever had more than that, at least with the first team. (ManU had Howard, Spector, Cooper and Rossi on its books at the same time for awhile, but more than two never played first team ball at the same time and Cooper never did.)

4. banbaseball

banbaseball Member

Oct 10, 2000
    East of the Bay
    always coming through Sandon. thanks!

5. dark knight

dark knight Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 15, 1999
    Club:
    Leicester City FC
    2 has obviously been done a number of times: ManU, Crystal Palace, Hannover, Fulham, Reading, etc. Did Palace have 3 with what's his name keeper?

Russell Payne/Tim Lawson/Grover Gibson/Michael Mason were all on the books at Elversburgh at the same time, no?

6. mschofield

mschofield Member+

May 16, 2000
    Berlin
    Club:
    Union Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Well, Hannover had Stevie C, good Clint Mathis and Psycho Clint Mathis...

7. IASocFan

IASocFan Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 13, 2000
    IOWA
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You have given out too much Reputation in the last 24 hours, try again later.

8. NBlue

NBlue Member

Jun 17, 2002
    Orlando, Florida
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    got your back.

9. Alex_K

Alex_K Member+

Mar 23, 2002
    Braunschweig, Germany
    Club:
    Eintracht Braunschweig
    Nat'l Team:
    Bhutan
    ElversBERG :)D) had 3 Yanks during the 2000/2001 season, (Grover Gibson, Brent Goulet, Tim Lawson) the 2001/2002 season (Gibson, Lawson and Chard Evens who had replaced Goulet by then) and the 2002/2003 season (Roussell Payne [Fußballdaten.de spells his name that way, so I went with this - that site is full of mistakes though, but I'm too lazy to double check ;)], Michael Mason and Lawson).

And Finally, they had 5 during the 2003/2004 season:

Roussell Payne, Gibson, Lawson, Mason and coach Brent Goulet.

10. Elninho

Elninho Member+

Sacramento Republic FC
    United States
    Oct 30, 2000
    Sacramento, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Bodens BK had Leighton O'Brien, Steve Shak, and Brian Dunseth, and a few other ex-MLSers... but I'm not sure how many of them were there at any given moment.

11. Shaydee

Shaydee Member

Apr 8, 2002
    New Jersey
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Wolde Harris was the other but he's Jamaican.

12. USAfutbol

USAfutbol New Member

Jan 7, 2006
    B1909 of Denmark (second division - so not premier league quality) had a number of Yanks in 2005-'06:

If I recall the correct order from our very recen BS Yank Abroad boards here - Ryan Caugherty was there in Spring 2005 and then left in the summer window when Joe Zewe arrived with Helmis Matute and Luc Harrington in Fall 2005, and then YA all-star, Carlos Elliott, was there with Zewe in Spring 2006.

13. USAfutbol

USAfutbol New Member

Jan 7, 2006
    Didn't Dunny, Luchi Gonzalez and Leighton O'B all overlap at one point or another?

14. Elninho

Elninho Member+

Sacramento Republic FC
    United States
    Oct 30, 2000
    Sacramento, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I knew there was one Yank I'd forgotten (Luchi). So four Americans... what I'm wondering is whether all four of them were ever there at the same time.

15. USAfutbol

USAfutbol New Member

Jan 7, 2006
    Perhaps someone else will be less lazy and dig up links.

I recall that Luchi was there a season before Dunny, Shak and Leighton O'B. The closest thing that Bodens had to a "YA lineup" of 4 was when Wolde Harris joined the side at the same time that the other three were there. Of course, Wolde is not a YA, but he was damn close given all his time in MLS/USL.