More talented tennis player?

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by JoCryuff98, Jan 13, 2019.

?

Who was more talented?

1. Bjorn Borg

1 vote(s)
    50.0%
  2. John McEnroe

1 vote(s)
    50.0%
  1. JoCryuff98

JoCryuff98 Member+

Barcelona
    Netherlands
    Jan 3, 2018
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Borg the Iceman or Super Brat McEnroe

2. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    For pure gift of talent, I'll take McEnroe.

Borg was Borg almost all the time (when you beat him, you generally beat his best), but you didn't always know which Mac was going to step out on the court. Serve/volleyers seemed (at least in that period) to be mercurial, and both Mac and Martina suffered from it, Martina much earlier in her career. By the mid-80s she was remarkably consistent.

Mac's collapse in 1984 after being up two sets to none against Lendl in the French Final was typical of an average Mac. He had Ivan beat and couldn't close out the deal because his head wasn't right. Then he runs thru Wimbledon and the US Open like a hot knife thru butter. His performance in those two tournaments were among the best tennis I ever saw from anybody.

Now, a lefty gets a benefit...

on every ad point he serves because he can kick the RH opponent way past the doubles alley for a putaway first volley. The opposite isn't there for the RH player because Mac played righties in actual competition, while righties usually play one another and can't put that difference to use in every match. But it was Mac's bread and butter, like it was for Martina. Also, Mac was good enough all day that nobody could really simulate him. You didn't get to see that special lefty until you played Mac, and by them, it was usually too late.

...but I don't change my vote because of that.

Borg's workmanlike approach to the game served him well, won six of the eight French Opens he played in, tournaments with some of the best clay-courters of all time (Vilas, Lendl, Nastase) in the draw. No way was he supposed to win five titles on that slippery-ass surface in England. If he'd been blessed with a forehand volley, he'd have won in 1980.

3. buragozin

buragozin Red Card

Real Madrid
    Spain
    Jan 16, 2021
    McEnroe definitely deserves the first place because he has shown great results in the past games. Sharapova also plays very well, if you take into account the women's division, then she leads, to be honest. I've seen her train, and it looks very cool, better than many professional male tennis players. I even found it tennisshoesdeals.com here you can see exactly the shoes in which she played, as well as several cool other options that I also really liked. I love tennis and everything related to this sport

4. TitoTata

TitoTata Member+

Jun 26, 2014
    Federer or McEnroe